Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

UC Snippet 15

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: UC Snippet 15
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:01 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:

Actually, no, he didn't. That was the late, unlamented Hajdu. He was going to launch at the life pods --- had passed the order to do so, in fact --- but the order had not been acted upon because Admiral Yountz and his staff didn't want to "waste missiles" firing against such "elusive" targets (despite their homing beacons). Haskell wasn't the only officer trying to salvage at least some shreds of decency and humanity from Operation Buccaneer that day.

All Meghan has to do is keep assassinating the SLN BC that has the senior officer on board until one of the more honorable SLN officers is in command.

She has enough ammo for 6 Triple broadsides?

Well - simply for posterity you see - it isn't assassination if they can opt out of dying. Meg does give that option.

Every order that is given is contained within Flag Bridge's records. One officer goes on record as having qualms with the orders . . . I thought for the very reason that it was all being recorded. Someone was even relieved of duty, dissenting.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:40 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

cthia wrote:It seems that quite a few Holes in SLN Intel are continuing to be filled. In one of the snippets a SL officer specifically commented on the new data on Manty tech they'd gotten. One is the ballistic component of Manty missiles to be added to the list. Albeit, they haven't quite gotten a handle on all of the ramifications of FTL. Now for the question. . .

I don't think it is acceptable, but why isn't it prudent for the RMN to kill everything in-system to prevent that knowledge from escaping -- should the cavalry come soon enough? Why wouldn't destruction to protect military secrets be acceptable under the spoils of war? Sort of like. . .

"I can tell you - or show you - about MDMs, but then I'd have to kill you."

IINM, isn't Megan the first to reveal the capability? And she's offering the SLN a chance to flee with intel. I understand she has no choice, but if the cavalry comes, should she divulge that bit of info?

Anyone privy to real world examples?

No. It is neither legal nor morally acceptable and would be considered a war crime by anyone with a functioning brain.

Scrubbing computers of useful tactical data is one thing. Simply lining up your prisoners and shooting them in the head because they might have learned something you really wish they hadn't is about as reprehensible as moral leprosy comes. There might be some instance --- like, for example, "If I don't kill this one guy or 'disappear' this small crew of observers ISIS will find itself in possession of nuclear warheads" --- in which letting them go would be even more reprehensible than killing them out of hand. Difficult for me to imagine one where the alternatives would be stark enough to even begin to justify that. Weapons performance --- especially when (a) there's not one damned thing the other side can do about it and (b) anyone with a working brain will already be allowing for the possibility that you have the capability (i.e., "Yes! They can incorporate a ballistic phase!") --- does not fall under that heading.

It certainly doesn't in the eyes of the SEM of Manticore or anyone wearing its uniform, though. Unless, of course, some total sociopath has somehow made it past all the psych boards undetected.

Now, if Megan had enough firepower to compel them to surrender or face destruction --- that is, if she physically had the power to destroy them if they didn't surrender as opposed to having enough firepower to compel them to abort the operation and withdraw --- then she could demand they do just that and be justified in continuing to fire until they did surrender or they were all destroyed. That is rather different from what you seem to be suggesting here, however.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
cthia wrote:It seems that quite a few Holes in SLN Intel are continuing to be filled. In one of the snippets a SL officer specifically commented on the new data on Manty tech they'd gotten. One is the ballistic component of Manty missiles to be added to the list. Albeit, they haven't quite gotten a handle on all of the ramifications of FTL. Now for the question. . .

I don't think it is acceptable, but why isn't it prudent for the RMN to kill everything in-system to prevent that knowledge from escaping -- should the cavalry come soon enough? Why wouldn't destruction to protect military secrets be acceptable under the spoils of war? Sort of like. . .

IINM, isn't Megan the first to reveal the capability? And she's offering the SLN a chance to flee with intel. I understand she has no choice, but if the cavalry comes, should she divulge that bit of info?

No. It is neither legal nor morally acceptable and would be considered a war crime by anyone with a functioning brain.

Scrubbing computers of useful tactical data is one thing. Simply lining up your prisoners and shooting them in the head because they might have learned something you really wish they hadn't is about as reprehensible as moral leprosy comes. There might be some instance --- like, for example, "If I don't kill this one guy or 'disappear' this small crew of observers ISIS will find itself in possession of nuclear warheads" --- in which letting them go would be even more reprehensible than killing them out of hand. Difficult for me to imagine one where the alternatives would be stark enough to even begin to justify that. Weapons performance --- especially when (a) there's not one damned thing the other side can do about it and (b) anyone with a working brain will already be allowing for the possibility that you have the capability (i.e., "Yes! They can incorporate a ballistic phase!") --- does not fall under that heading.

It certainly doesn't in the eyes of the SEM of Manticore or anyone wearing its uniform, though. Unless, of course, some total sociopath has somehow made it past all the psych boards undetected.

Now, if Megan had enough firepower to compel them to surrender or face destruction --- that is, if she physically had the power to destroy them if they didn't surrender as opposed to having enough firepower to compel them to abort the operation and withdraw --- then she could demand they do just that and be justified in continuing to fire until they did surrender or they were all destroyed. That is rather different from what you seem to be suggesting here, however.

I understand.

I also wholeheartedly agree, though I was hardly suggesting it. I was enquiring about the formal legality/illegality of the tactic because of . . . baggage. . .

I also know it would be outside of measures the RMN would ascribe to, but I'm not quite sure it's black and white or cut and dry. At least not to other military forces.

The first thing that comes to mind is - now I apologize for bringing the boobtube into it, but - scouts in the olden days were chased and killed.

But on a more serious note, I recall the Soviets shooting down a Korean airliner in . . . 1983, where 269 passengers were onboard after tailing it for over two hours, for fear that it was a spy plane taking photos. There have been several "I thought it was a spy" incidents like that over the years. It was denounced as brutal and barbaric by the Western world, but still, it isn't unheard of. There was also Korean Flight 007 the Soviets claimed was on a spy mission.

A US warship downed an Iranian Airbus killing 290 passengers. The line simply seems blurred to me.

To be sure, I wasn't condoning it, or even think the RMN should apply the tactic, I simply recall the tactic appearing to be used and there doesn't seem to ever be any repercussions. So I'm not sure if it is an actual war crime or simply frowned upon.

It appears to be a grey area when military secrets are called into question, even when the victims are innocent, hapless civilians. ::shrug::

Late edit:

I also seem to recall there being collateral civilian damage from the US targeting a downed military plane in a war zone to maintain its secrets. Can't recall the documentary right off hand.

'Course, that was accidental. :roll:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:15 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

cthia wrote:

runsforcelery wrote:No. It is neither legal nor morally acceptable and would be considered a war crime by anyone with a functioning brain.

I understand.

I also wholeheartedly agree, though I was hardly suggesting it. I was enquiring about the formal legality/illegality of the tactic because of . . . baggage. . .

I also know it would be outside of measures the RMN would ascribe to, but I'm not quite sure it's black and white or cut and dry. At least not to other military forces.

The first thing that comes to mind is - now I apologize for bringing the boobtube into it, but - scouts in the olden days were chased and killed.

But on a more serious note, I recall the Soviets shooting down a Korean airliner in . . . 1983, where 269 passengers were onboard after tailing it for over two hours, for fear that it was a spy plane taking photos. There have been several "I thought it was a spy" incidents like that over the years. It was denounced as brutal and barbaric by the Western world, but still, it isn't unheard of. There was also Korean Flight 007 the Soviets claimed was on a spy mission.

A US warship downed an Iranian Airbus killing 290 passengers. The line simply seems blurred to me.

To be sure, I wasn't condoning it, or even think the RMN should apply the tactic, I simply recall the tactic appearing to be used and there doesn't seem to ever be any repercussions. So I'm not sure if it is an actual war crime or simply frowned upon.

It appears to be a grey area when military secrets are called into question, even when the victims are innocent, hapless civilians. ::shrug::

Late edit:

I also seem to recall there being collateral civilian damage from the US targeting a downed military plane in a war zone to maintain its secrets. Can't recall the documentary right off hand.

'Course, that was accidental. :roll:

It's not an "accident" when you shoot prisoners or blow up surrendered ships with their crews on board to conceal the performance specs of a weapon in general use. Chasing down scouts to prevent them from getting back with critical tactical or strategic information is something else. As long as the scout is free and trying to evade, he remains an enemy combatant and you're completely justified under the rules of war in trying to capture or kill him any way you can. After you've captured him, he's protected under a slew of interstellar conventions unless you happened to catch him in civilian dress pretending he's not a soldier. Spies, as opposed to scouts, come under a rather different heading.

Neither of them conceivably applies to Yountz or the remaining Solarian ships at Hypatia.

I reiterate, Megan would have been well within her rights to try to run her bluff further by demanding that the Sollies surrender, abandon ship, and ride their life pods down to the planetary surface under threat of additional attacks. She wouldn't have gotten it (or not, at least, without proving that she could repeat the process multiple times which probably would have required more missiles than she had), but she could legitimately have demanded it.

She wasn't going to push her bluff that far when the penalty if she got called would be millions of Hypatian deaths she might avoid by giving Yountz a way out. And once she gave him that way out, she was obligated to abide by her offer rather than suddenly trying to kill them all to protect the knowledge that --- Gasp! --- the M-16 was a dual-drive missile that could insert a lengthy ballistic phase into its flight profile and attack with far more accuracy at extreme range than the Sollies could.

Except for the Iranian airliner you referenced, I believe that every one of the aircraft shootdowns you listed occurred only when --- according to the party that did the shooting, at least --- the aircraft in question had both violated national airspace and violated restricted air space marked as "closed" for security reasons (with the warning that violators were subject to being shot down; the US has airspace just like that of its own) by the nation in question. I'm not saying that makes it a good thing to shoot down a plane with 2-300 passengers on board. I'm saying that assuming the facts were as presented by the party who shot them down, international law was on their side and the aircraft had no legitimate reason to be where it was, which makes the "we thought it was espionage" argument far stronger.

Uniformed military personnel engaged in open warfare with a nation state have rather more rights than that, and summary executions for matters of operational convenience or the security of weapons capabilities are clear violations of international law, as witness the Malmedey Massacre in WW II and the way it was treated postwar.

IIRC, the airliner shootdown was largely the result of the Aegis system doing what it was told to do rather than what it's operators thought they were telling it to do. The airliner wasn't the intended target at all. Or, rather, the warship's sensors and fire control picked it up, it was identified as an Iranian F-14 (not a civilian passenger aircraft), and the ship launched.

Post by Randomiser   » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:17 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:

She has no intention of erasing the evidence or of offing him. None.

That isn't how she operates.

And there is precedent under the SLN JMC for removing a superior who is issuing illegal orders due to mental incapacity from the chain of command by force, if necessary. Whether or not she and the flag captain can make that stand up in front of a court is another matter entirely, of course, but they can damn well keep him off-line until it's too late for him to do anything about it and then face the piper.

Is there some reason you think either of these ladies would lack the moral fortitude to do just that?

Yep! Neither of them tried to do it before the BC got wrecked when it was even more urgently required. If the damage control party arrived quickly, I'm not at all confident about what Haskell would do. Of course, it's ... 'somewhat unlikely' to do so, isn't it? :twisted:

Haskell, if she wants it, has easier cover for ignoring the orders after the flag bridge got wrecked, by claimimg either or both of, 'the Admiral may have thought he said something, but it was incoherent' or 'I could see he was trying to say something, but I was badly shaken up/a bit concussed and couldn't make it out.'
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:06 pm

TFLYTSNBN

She ought to surrender herself to the RMN to avoid being shot for treason.

Randomiser wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:

And there is precedent under the SLN JMC for removing a superior who is issuing illegal orders due to mental incapacity from the chain of command by force, if necessary. Whether or not she and the flag captain can make that stand up in front of a court is another matter entirely, of course, but they can damn well keep him off-line until it's too late for him to do anything about it and then face the piper.

Is there some reason you think either of these ladies would lack the moral fortitude to do just that?

Yep! Neither of them tried to do it before the BC got wrecked when it was even more urgently required. If the damage control party arrived quickly, I'm not at all confident about what Haskell would do. Of course, it's ... 'somewhat unlikely' to do so, isn't it? :twisted:

Haskell, if she wants it, has easier cover for ignoring the orders after the flag bridge got wrecked, by claimimg either or both of, 'the Admiral may have thought he said something, but it was incoherent' or 'I could see he was trying to say something, but I was badly shaken up/a bit concussed and couldn't make it out.'
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:19 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

TFLYTSNBN wrote:She ought to surrender herself to the RMN to avoid being shot for treason.

runsforcelery wrote:

Randomiser wrote:Yep! Neither of them tried to do it before the BC got wrecked when it was even more urgently required. If the damage control party arrived quickly, I'm not at all confident about what Haskell would do. Of course, it's ... 'somewhat unlikely' to do so, isn't it? :twisted:

Keep reading.

Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:29 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Randomiser wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:

Both of them protested the order --- the flag captain to the point of refusing to carry it out and finding herself placed under arrest to await trial. Haskell actually told the staff ops officer not to bey the order and was in the process of being arrested --- and threatened with the death sentence --- at the moment the missiles arrived.

Neither of them was in a position to stop the admiral by force prior to the missile strike. (It's not like Solly officers and ratings go to battle stations with sidearms.) And there was no time to organize any sort of removal before they realized how insane he actually was. The fact that the JMC (SLN edition) authorizes a superior officer's removal from he chain of command by force for reasons of mental incompetency isn't the same thing as saying there are procedures in place to make it happen art the metaphorical snap of his/her subordinates' fingers. Both the officers in question were already on record as having opposed his intentions --- Haskell to the point of instructing one of her subordinates to disobey the order, which Gogunov construed (not unreasonably, given his own mindset) as outright mutiny --- so I don't see either of them as trying to evade the consequences of their actions, nor do I think either of them would have hesitated for a moment to stop him by force if they'd been in a position to do so.

Of course, I'm only the author, so they might have surprised me. :lol:

Post by CmdrAthenaAprilist   » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:17 pm

CmdrAthenaAprilist
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:Of course, I'm only the author, so they might have surprised me. :lol:

Well, I've done some writing myself, and there has been a time or two when a character surprised me when I actually went to put the words down on paper (or silicon, as the case may be!)
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:27 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

CmdrAthenaAprilist wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:Of course, I'm only the author, so they might have surprised me. :lol:

Well, I've done some writing myself, and there has been a time or two when a character surprised me when I actually went to put the words down on paper (or silicon, as the case may be!)

Oh, it has happened to him as well Cmndr. Harrington surprised the hell out of him by contacting his wife about his malignant plans for her future. LOL

Return to Honorverse