Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

UC Snippet 15

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: UC Snippet 15
Post by Louis R   » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

completely unneccessary. she's already don't exactly the right thing, legally and practically: Gogunov is in a damaged skinsuit in a hard vacuum on a dead ship. he _can't_ exercise command over the task force in those conditions, and therefore it passes to the next senior officer. technically, even if the comms and tac displays on the flight bridge were fully functional - which they can't be, given that there's apparently no power to the ship - he still needs to transfer to a fightable ship to resume command. and until he arrives on the flag, or at least command, bridge of that ship and confirms that he has full command of the current tactical situation, control of the task force properly rests with Yountz. and none of that is going to happen in the time available.

actually, it's a stark commentary on his state of mind - and fitness for command - that, given the conditions on his flag bridge, he actually thought that the button would have worked even if Haskell had gone over and pushed it.

cthia wrote::idea:

Instead of murdering him, she could have pushed the button to his emergency suit meds. . .

"Nighty night - sleep tight. I don't give aratsass if the bed bugs bite. See you in the morn after we're all alright!"

:lol:
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Louis R wrote:completely unneccessary. she's already don't exactly the right thing, legally and practically: Gogunov is in a damaged skinsuit in a hard vacuum on a dead ship. he _can't_ exercise command over the task force in those conditions, and therefore it passes to the next senior officer. technically, even if the comms and tac displays on the flight bridge were fully functional - which they can't be, given that there's apparently no power to the ship - he still needs to transfer to a fightable ship to resume command. and until he arrives on the flag, or at least command, bridge of that ship and confirms that he has full command of the current tactical situation, control of the task force properly rests with Yountz. and none of that is going to happen in the time available.

actually, it's a stark commentary on his state of mind - and fitness for command - that, given the conditions on his flag bridge, he actually thought that the button would have worked even if Haskell had gone over and pushed it.

cthia wrote::idea:

Instead of murdering him, she could have pushed the button to his emergency suit meds. . .

"Nighty night - sleep tight. I don't give aratsass if the bed bugs bite. See you in the morn after we're all alright!"

:lol:

In fairness, he was pointing at the button to indicate what he wanted her to do, not how he wanted her to accomplish it. What he was doing was telling her to confirm the order to launch on his authority for Yountz. She knew that and chose not to do it.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by pscottcrouch   » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:40 pm

pscottcrouch
Midshipman

I have to say, seeing this snippet and having read the book is amazing to me. Definitely got to give it to Mr. Weber, that this was is a great memory for me and my father of our friend Bill Berden(RIP). Thanks, Mr. Weber!

Return to Honorverse