Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

War of Honor (waist of time and money)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
War of Honor (waist of time and money)
Post by Needaname   » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:05 pm

Needaname
Midshipman

This is what the term formula fiction was created for. I'm currently on chapter 42. I have only had to read approximately 15% of it. This is words vomited on to paper and organized into chapters. There is a story here, but you have to wade through so much s*$t to get to it.

I have read the Empire of Man series three times. Thank God John Ringo was there so Weber couldn't F it up.
Re: War of Honor (waist of time and money)
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:14 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Needaname wrote:blah blah blah

A "Waist" of time and money would be about 50-60 inches. :roll:

I don't think your dissatisfaction is going to influence those of us who liked WoH and the rest of the series.

You should probably just donate all of your Honorverse books to a homeless shelter and don't let the door hit you in thass on your way out.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Hegemon   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:49 am

Hegemon
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Needaname wrote:This is what the term formula fiction was created for. I'm currently on chapter 42. I have only had to read approximately 15% of it. This is words vomited on to paper and organized into chapters. There is a story here, but you have to wade through so much s*$t to get to it.

I have read the Empire of Man series three times. Thank God John Ringo was there so Weber couldn't F it up.

With all due respect, I think WoH was one of Weber's better Honorverse books. Yes, it's frustrating to see what is happening, and has some small inconsistencies, and it made me stromgly suspect that Admiral Janacek was not as stupid as he sounded but rather was paid up by Manpower (he met the same fate as admiral Rajampet, btw), but the book is OK.
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:49 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Hegemon wrote:
Needaname wrote:This is what the term formula fiction was created for. I'm currently on chapter 42. I have only had to read approximately 15% of it. This is words vomited on to paper and organized into chapters. There is a story here, but you have to wade through so much s*$t to get to it.

With all due respect, I think WoH was one of Weber's better Honorverse books. Yes, it's frustrating to see what is happening, and has some small inconsistencies, and it made me stromgly suspect that Admiral Janacek was not as stupid as he sounded but rather was paid up by Manpower (he met the same fate as admiral Rajampet, btw), but the book is OK.

While I could wish for a critic with better spelling skills, WOH is one of the two books in the Honorverse I actually would like to re-edit. I wanted to edit it more tightly at the time, as a matter of fact, but the production crunch precluded it.

A lot of things came into collision while I was working on that book, including a collaboration project that hit a massive pothole and sucked up bunches of time, a Simon & Schuster decision to bring forward the release date, and a family medical emergency. I flat ran out of time to do the final edit I would otherwise have done, and in which I would probably have squeezed out about a quarter of the total word count. There's nothing in the book that doesn't need to be there for the purpose of that novel and the overall story arc, but some of it is in there more than once when it doesn't have to be and there are a lot of places I could have --- and would have, if I'd had time --- tightened it considerably.

Toni and I have discussed the possibility of releasing a re-edited version of it which would do the things I'd wanted to do then. We just haven't found a workable time and place to do it.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by saber964   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:16 pm

saber964
Admiral

Hegemon wrote:

I doubt Janacek was a Manpower/Malign stooge like New Kiev was. But he probably at the end realized that like White Haven said even stupider than everyone else thought.
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:00 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:
Hegemon wrote:This is what the term formula fiction was created for. I'm currently on chapter 42. I have only had to read approximately 15% of it. This is words vomited on to paper and organized into chapters. There is a story here, but you have to wade through so much s*$t to get to it.

I doubt Janacek was a Manpower/Malign stooge like New Kiev was. But he probably at the end realized that like White Haven said even stupider than everyone else thought.[/quote]

I never thought of Janacek as a stooge or even as a total idiot. He was totally convinced he was right and was willing to be co-opted by the political groups that thought they should be running the Star Kingdom.

Their ideas were incorrect but once Janacek gave into a position of compromise and submission, he was unable to be of any use. Of course, the corruption involved was disgusting.

There are two kinds of politicians: those who are bought and those not worth the money.
Post by Hegemon   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:29 am

Hegemon
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

ldwechsler wrote:I never thought of Janacek as a stooge or even as a total idiot. He was totally convinced he was right and was willing to be co-opted by the political groups that thought they should be running the Star Kingdom.

Yes, but that stubbornness and inability to admit he was wrong is exactly why I find his suicide highly suspect. To make a gesture like that would mean he was capable of self-reflection, which is clearly not the case. Look how he cannot admit even to himself that Admiral White Haven is a better strategist and tactician than himself!
Like Admiral Rajampet, he was an expert of shifting blame even to himself. Look how detached and unburdened by any guilt Admiral Rajampet was about the Eleventh Fleet's fate and the fact that he started a losing war.
Admiral Janacek was the only one of the guilty policy makers (High Ridge, Descroix, New Kiev, Houseman) and RMN administrators (Admirals Chakrabarti, Jurgensen, Draskovic) to commit suicide, and there is no indication he was the most sensitive or self-reflecting or dutiful of that group.
Post by kzt   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:43 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I would have expected a staff car from the Queen to have been awaiting Chakrabarti outside the Admiralty after he quit.
Post by NervousEnergy   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:25 pm

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

Hegemon wrote:

Yeah, I have to agree with this. WoH was a good read, and the battle scenes in the last third some of the best of the series.
Post by ywing14   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:57 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

While I believe people have the right to criticize and complain. Did you specifically create an account to do so and disparage the author on his own site? In all your posts you just whine. If everything is so terrible read something else.

Return to Honorverse