Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

War of Honor (waist of time and money)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: War of Honor (waist of time and money)
Post by cthia   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:28 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:While I could wish for a critic with better spelling skills, WOH is one of the two books in the Honorverse I actually would like to re-edit. I wanted to edit it more tightly at the time, as a matter of fact, but the production crunch precluded it.
While this doesn't beg the question it certainly invites it -- what is the other Honorverse book you'd really like to re-edit?

runsforcelery wrote:Shadow of Victory. I was . . . pretty sick when I was finishing that one up. If I hadn't been, I'm fairly sure I would have gone back in and rendered the names of the Polish and Czech police forces, security forces, seafood cooperatives, army, etc., in English after the first time or two each name appeared in the text. I'd've kept the Polish and the Czech in dialog and in the acronyms, but not breaking them into English in most places made it difficult for non-Polish and non-Czech readers to keep track of which was which and what planet I had them on this Tuesday.

There are a couple of other things I'd probably have tightened a little, but otherwise, I'd've left the book pretty much as it was because it did things for the story telling that I thought (and still think) needed to be done. But I do with I'd been feeling enough like myself to have recognized that while I had no trouble keeping things straight as the writer, readers could have used a little more assistance.

I have waxed eloquent - and sometimes not so - while sharing my parents irritating insistence that their offspring engage in incessant travel about the globe to acquire "an education not found in textbooks."

As a young kid I hated leaving toys, friends, then later - girlfriends, during a time I was too young and naive to appreciate the wisdom of parents. When I entered into college, my parents wisdom began to show itself in a huge way. Many of my professors were foreign and their accent was quite difficult for many Americans to understand, which sadly led to many of them dropping courses. Being well traveled, I have no trouble understanding the apparently difficult accent of foreigners.

Having nothing else to attribute it to, I imagine it is also the reason I had no trouble at all with Shadow of Victory. For me personally, the many foreign names simply lent a certain credence that accompanies a richly authentic feel. I enjoyed it immensely and wouldn't have Weber change a thing. If he did, I'd favor the original non-redacted, King James version which would surely become a collector's item.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:18 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Someone should have mentioned. . .

War of Honor made it as high as #8 on The NY Times Bestseller List.

30 of Weber's titles made it on the NY Times Bestseller List. Weber made it onto 12 other Best Seller Lists.

Remember in grade school when a teacher would allow you to toss one of your exams? If I had to toss one of Weber's mainline Honorverse books, I'd be lost. I like them all. All I could tell you for certain is that it wouldn't be OBS. Or Flag in Exile. Or At All Costs, kzt.

I'm at a loss to turn my back on either of them.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Exidor   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:30 pm

Exidor
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

robert132 wrote:A hospital isn't a bad idea, that's where I spent a lot of time mind-tripping through the Honor-verse.

Sadly (to me), when I was laid up with an abdominal issue a couple decades ago, the only thing on hand to read was L. Ron Hubbard's "Mission Earth" dekalogy.

Got through it, though. The series and the abdominal issue, that is. :)
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:54 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

I thought WoH was good...
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:45 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

quite possibly a cat wrote:I thought WoH was good...

I didn't say it was bad, because I don't think it was. I'm just saying that if I'd had another month or so, it would have been better. :)

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by ywing14   » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:57 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I enjoyed hearing about what happened to Marsh. Also found what happened to between the the RMN and Andies very interesting and plausible.
Post by Louis R   » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Might I take this opportunity to remind you that we're _still_ waiting for the resolution of that Code 17A?

runsforcelery wrote:
quite possibly a cat wrote:I thought WoH was good...

I didn't say it was bad, because I don't think it was. I'm just saying that if I'd had another month or so, it would have been better. :)
Post by Peregrinator   » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:22 am

Peregrinator
Commander

I don't remember disliking War of Honor, so it must have been good, even if it might have been a bit wordy. Of course, considering what I paid for it (I got it from a Baen CD), it's not really my place to complain if an author wants to give me more of his writing!

I admit that I struggled a bit with Shadow of Victory but the chapter that takes place on Darius was worth the price of the book (and I bought the e-ARC).

Return to Honorverse