Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 99 guests

Graser Quesions

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Graser Quesions
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:59 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Weber's high frequency lasers and grasers might not be capable of near diffraction limited beam collimiation
More importantly, Weber's warships can acccellerate at hundreds of gees. Include an erratic component in the accelleration and the lightspeed time lag will result in the target ship not being where it was when the attacking ship fires.

Jonathan_S wrote:
Hegemon wrote:I would like to ask you a question on ship-mounted grasers versus laser heads:

In Short Victorious War you have a scene where a HMS Bellerophon's sidewall and armor shrugs off the massed fire of ship-mounted lasers and grasers from 4 Havenite BCs and then proceeds to casually destroy them using its own (much more powerful) ship-mounted weapons.
(BTW, I love the chapter's ending: "A quarter-second later, Battlecruiser Divisions 141 and 142 of the People's Navy ceased to exist.")

I don't know the broadside of the Sultan-class, but supposing that it is the same as the newer Warlord-class (6 Grasers and 6 Lasers per broadside), it would mean 24 Grasers and 24 Lasers shrugged off with minimal damage by a DN's sidewalls and armor. However, the same DN (or its bigger SD cousin) can only take ~250 MDM laser heads (each with ~9 lasing rods) before being destroyed. So the obvious question is how is it possible that a MDM laser head that weights maybe 50 tons seem to be in the same destructiveness ballpark as a ship-mounted Graser (even it is only a BC-size Graser) that weights maybe 1000-2000 tons and has access to the enormous energy stored in the ship's capacitors.

Thank you very much for your time.

From a physics standpoint this doesn't make a lot of sense - TFLYTSNBN covered how the energy gets lost or spread by distance, but in the Honorverse that seems to happen much more quickly than you'd expect; giving the firing range of the energy weapon is fired a massive influence over its effectiveness.

So a BC broadside laser fired at 500,000 km seems to have less effective impact than a bomb-pumped laserhead which goes off at no more than 30,000 km (in SVW. By WoH some had improved their standoff range to 50,000 km).
(I think there's even a mention that a DD's energy weapons can't normally penetrate the sidewall of an SD unless she gets really close)

The energy weapons probably shouldn't be dissipating power that quickly over those ranges - but in the novels they seem to.
Post by kzt   » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:32 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Weber's high frequency lasers and grasers might not be capable of near diffraction limited beam collimiation
More importantly, Weber's warships can acccellerate at hundreds of gees. Include an erratic component in the accelleration and the lightspeed time lag will result in the target ship not being where it was when the attacking ship fires.

I'll bet that Honorverse computers can very accurately predict where the centeroid of a 200 km long orbital station will be in say 21 minutes. Just saying...
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:08 am

TFLYTSNBN

I said target ship, not target station.

kzt wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:Weber's high frequency lasers and grasers might not be capable of near diffraction limited beam collimiation

I'll bet that Honorverse computers can very accurately predict where the centeroid of a 200 km long orbital station will be in say 21 minutes. Just saying...
Post by Hegemon   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:10 am

Hegemon
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Jonathan_S wrote:From a physics standpoint this doesn't make a lot of sense - TFLYTSNBN covered how the energy gets lost or spread by distance, but in the Honorverse that seems to happen much more quickly than you'd expect; giving the firing range of the energy weapon is fired a massive influence over its effectiveness.

So a BC broadside laser fired at 500,000 km seems to have less effective impact than a bomb-pumped laserhead which goes off at no more than 30,000 km (in SVW. By WoH some had improved their standoff range to 50,000 km).
(I think there's even a mention that a DD's energy weapons can't normally penetrate the sidewall of an SD unless she gets really close)

The energy weapons probably shouldn't be dissipating power that quickly over those ranges - but in the novels they seem to.

In SVW it says "A quarter-second later, Battlecruiser Divisions 141 and 142 of the People's Navy ceased to exist." 1/4 light-second means the RMN DN's return fire happened at 75.000 km, so the 4 BCs must have fired from a similar distance, and they did score "half a dozen minor hits".
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Hegemon wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:From a physics standpoint this doesn't make a lot of sense - TFLYTSNBN covered how the energy gets lost or spread by distance, but in the Honorverse that seems to happen much more quickly than you'd expect; giving the firing range of the energy weapon is fired a massive influence over its effectiveness.

In SVW it says "A quarter-second later, Battlecruiser Divisions 141 and 142 of the People's Navy ceased to exist." 1/4 light-second means the RMN DN's return fire happened at 75.000 km, so the 4 BCs must have fired from a similar distance, and they did score "half a dozen minor hits".

Oops - should have checked the text-ev; I obviously didn't remember they were that close.

Yeah, from 75,000 km their grasers should have breached the outer armor of the SD and at least chewed into the outer depressurized compartments behind it. (Or else, if they couldn't then a few hundred laser-heads shouldn't be enough to kill an SD. They were close)

(Well I guess you could try to argue that the very sharp angle, because the leading edge of the sidewall was barely interposed in time - making this about as far from a normal [perpendicular] hit as possible. somehow greatly improved the sidewall's effectiveness. But that's never been mentioned as a factor so it's a real stretch)
Post by evilauthor   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:23 am

evilauthor
Captain of the List

TFLYTSNBN wrote:I said target ship, not target station.

kzt wrote:I'll bet that Honorverse computers can very accurately predict where the centeroid of a 200 km long orbital station will be in say 21 minutes. Just saying...

And Honorverse ships have some "wiggle room" insofar that they DON'T have to be at the exact center of their wedge but can randomize their position inside it a little, enough to throw off the aim of anyone with significant light speed lag or whoever might not be detecting the ship directly.

And just to make things even more complicated, the attacker can't really predict how the target's sidewalls are going to bend their lasers unless they either fire lots of lasers or get close enough that sidewall distortion doesn't matter anymore. Hence why laser heads fire a shotgun spread of lasers

Return to Honorverse