Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Theemile and 132 guests

Uncompromising Honor Snippet #12 (corrected from 13)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising Honor Snippet #13
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:14 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:
Robert_A_Woodward wrote:On a different subject; what percentage of the HMS Phantom crew did that Deneb Accords violation kill? (I assume that the mass missile launch killed over 50%).

In addition to being a crime, it was a blunder. As far as they knew, they had the system to themselves, and could have attempted to scavenge Manty tech that they desperately need.

Randomiser wrote:Just what I was thinking. At least they have surviving ships with good tactical readouts on lots of Manticoran capabilities this time. At the moment, that is ...

Me three. It first occurred to me at the description of rolling broken pieces of hulking metal. My mind instinctively added "riddled with spar[k kl]ing tech." I think its difficult for us not to think in logical terms of acquiring samples of enemy tech, seeing as though we're all Manties. LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Uncompromising Honor Snippet #12 (corrected from #13)
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:32 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
Bill Woods wrote:By "#13", you mean the next one after #11, right?

runsforcelery wrote:No, I mean the one after Snippet #12, which was posted on 7/22.

I just checked and Snippet #11 was posted on 7/22. There was no Snippet #12.

On a different subject; what percentage of the HMS Phantom crew did that Deneb Accords violation kill? (I assume that the mass missile launch killed over 50%).

runsforcelery wrote:Sorry. It's listed in the snippet index as #12, I believe, and I was tired enough and doing enough other stuff that I looked it up there rather than trying to chase down the actual snippet. My apologies.

Fixed it! :lol:

Whew! Thank Tester! I was about to call my therapist, because I wasn't seeing things. It took so long for someone to say something, that I truly thought I'd missed it, or it was posted with some of that insane Manty stealth engaged. And it certainly wasn't radiating any detectable waste heat at all!

The Enterprise doesn't need bow walls. NCC-1701 has shields. :roll:

Last edited by cthia on Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Uncompromising Honor Snippet #12 (corrected from 13)
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Ok, I know this isn't possible or Kotouč would have used it. At any rate, perhaps someone can explain to me why some version of Tremaine's Barricade couldn't have been employed? Kotouč went down with many unfired missiles. I'm aware that Tremaine's Barricade was effective because the enemy missiles were coming in on a ballistic profile. But against so many SLN missiles under acceleration - a sea of them - why can't the wedges of the precision guided Apollo missiles of everything Kotouč had left, be steered into the midst of that SLN onslaught of oncoming missiles? Even if Barricade would be nowhere near as effective as when Beauty and the Beast used it, if it killed even a few hundred, that's better than none. Dying with highly capable unfired Manty missiles just seems wrong.

Last edited by cthia on Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by SYED   » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:28 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

When the fleet was half destroyed, there were eight crippled ships and six damaged one. So at most we might see 28 ships kind of surviving, with 3 out of 5 being crippled. Part of me thinks that might be too high. Each salvo targeted around five ships. When there were said to be eleven salvos left, only 44 ships were left unstruck. So that would leave two salvo unaccounted for. I wonder if those are programmed to target the most intact ships left.

I am betting that the manties used their time in stealth well, and discovered which ships held those highest in command. So the fleet command structure will be guttered. Would those who survive carry out their orders to destroy civilian targets? They know that their superiors will sell them out claiming there was some kind of miscommunication. So better recover crew and attempt repairs while waiting for aid from the rest of the fleet. Due to beowolf potentially sending aid, better to retreat with their battle scans of the ships.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:22 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Surely someone is expecting me to point this out. If not, them don't know me too well.

Firing on helpless ships that are in the process of abandoning its survivors — who are protected by the Deneb Accords or not — is more of that very same appreciation of Manty capabilities born from the sheer fear of Manty weight of metal, that gripped Byng when he fired on helpless battlecruisers. . .

If I were a psychologist of my sister's metal.

Even if only subconsciously, SLN officers know what time it is.

Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:27 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

cthia wrote:
cthia wrote:Surely someone is expecting me to point this out. If not, them don't know me too well.

Firing on helpless ships that are in the process of abandoning its survivors — who are protected by the Deneb Accords or not — is more of that very same appreciation of Manty capabilities born from the sheer fear of Manty weight of metal, that gripped Byng when he fired on helpless battlecruisers. . .

Uh, no, not really. Except, perhaps, very indirectly. It's an act born of rage and fury, which may have a fear component, but is much more the result of focused anger and hatred for 2 reasons. (1) What the Manties have just done to his command; (2) fury that neobarbs should have been capable of doing it in the first place. As I say, fear is in there somewhere, but it's much more a matter of an affront to his arrogance and of vengeance for the losses he's already taken.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:44 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

runsforcelery wrote:Uh, no, not really. Except, perhaps, very indirectly. It's an act born of rage and fury, which may have a fear component, but is much more the result of focused anger and hatred for 2 reasons. (1) What the Manties have just done to his command; (2) fury that neobarbs should have been capable of doing it in the first place. As I say, fear is in there somewhere, but it's much more a matter of an affront to his arrogance and of vengeance for the losses he's already taken.

I understsnd what you are saying RFC, and I'll never question the Legos of your world in the manner as I did in another thread ever again. But you did say you didn't want deification. So please forgive me my honesty here.

As a fan, when I read the entire Machiavellian malignant plan involving Byng and Giselle simply exploding, not only could I feel Byng's fear, I could smell it, and I felt it running down my leg as a result of some freak inexplicable, undocumented ghost phenomena. LOL

I'm half American Indian and it's true that animals can "smell fear." One of my five awesome sisters is a psychologist, and she once stated that fear and love are the two most powerful emotions affecting humans. And each can be debilitating. Gripped by fear is real, it's as instinctive as breathing. We've all experienced moments of immobility, like deers frozen in headlights.

When my sister told me that, I said sis, "What about pain? It is strong too." Of course she proceeded to explain to me that pain, other than psychological pain, isn't really an emotion. "But regardless, it isn't as strong as either love or fear. Any human can be experiencing the worst sort of debilitating pain on the planet, but if something suddenly frightens the skin off of his back, he'll realize that he's run a country mile, completely oblivious of the pain. What pain?" I had to concede.

I mentioned on the forum on several occasions that I had an English teacher who once told me "You have an uncanny ability to become the character which is so refreshing. Don't ever lose that." When a teacher as beautiful as she tells you that, you make a note and a point of keeping that promise. LOL

I will always feel Byng's excrement running down my leg whenever I read that passage. IMO, fear took over every other sense he had. As a matter of fact, whoever planned that malignant trap on Byng is a genius. I assume it was Anisimovna, the point where I began to fall in love with her. . . brilliance. Using fear as the main ingredient and his hatred for all things Manticoran, that plan didn't have a snowballs chance in hell of failing.

As a reader, I will be hard-pressed to shake off the feeling that Byng was gripped by one of the two most powerful emotions of humanity. Plain old fear. It is interesting to note that mankind both loves and fears his maker.

Late Edit:

When Giselle inexplicably blew, Byng's eyes grew to the size of grapefruits. :o :o Fear took over from there. Pure, plain, unadulterated primal fear. First he said it, then he did it. "Oh shit!"

Fear has a way of cutting through the bulls**t of what one truly feels. "Manties! Those phucking Manties!"

One can't lie to ones fear.

Anger and rage were the minor components of the much more major emotion.

As a matter of fact, rage and anger comes immediately after one has gotten a handle on the fear, as a natural reflex action. Like the many times, as an average annoying little kid, when I popped out of a closet to frighten one of my unsuspecting sisters and was pleased that she was screaming with fear. Then seeing that fear turn to rage and anger, then seeing my life flash before my eyes along with it.

Last edited by cthia on Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Fox2!   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:24 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

cthia wrote:

I don't think Federation shields are going to do any better against 100 Mk 23s than PN/RHN/SLN sidewalls. Then close to energy range, roll ship and present 20 SD class grasers.
Post by Fox2!   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:19 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Fox2! wrote:
cthia wrote:

I don't think Federation shields are going to do any better against 100 Mk 23s than PN/RHN/SLN sidewalls. Then close to energy range, roll ship and present 20 SD class grasers.

Would the SEM and the Federation be able to engage in other than normal space? Are warp space and hyperspace coincident?
Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:34 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
cthia wrote:

NCC-1701D has modulating shields to protect it against Borg cutter beams. Are grasers as powerful as Borg cutter beams?

At any rate, the Enterprise would win. You can't hit what you can't see. The Picard Maneuver. The Enterprise is too fast and maneuverable.

Return to Honorverse