Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ThinksMarkedly and 97 guests

Oyster Harbor?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Oyster Harbor?
Post by Fireflair   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:14 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

During a reread of Storm from the Shadows I noticed that Albrecht is talking with his sons about future operations. Oyster Bay is mentioned, along with a few others. One of which is called Oyster Harbor. I can't find a reference to this anywhere else in the series.

Was this just a typo that got dropped into the text or was Oyster Harbor supposed to be a follow up strike to Oyster Bay? Using the Lenny Dets instead of the Sharks?
Re: Oyster Harbor?
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:37 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Fireflair wrote:During a reread of Storm from the Shadows I noticed that Albrecht is talking with his sons about future operations. Oyster Bay is mentioned, along with a few others. One of which is called Oyster Harbor. I can't find a reference to this anywhere else in the series.

Was this just a typo that got dropped into the text or was Oyster Harbor supposed to be a follow up strike to Oyster Bay? Using the Lenny Dets instead of the Sharks?

... checks text ... I believe that this is a typo; there is only one occurrence of "Oyster Harbor" and it is in a reply to a question on the readiness of Oyster Bay.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Eagleeye   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:42 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

Fireflair wrote:During a reread of Storm from the Shadows I noticed that Albrecht is talking with his sons about future operations. Oyster Bay is mentioned, along with a few others. One of which is called Oyster Harbor. I can't find a reference to this anywhere else in the series.

I think it was a typo. After all, Oyster Bay should use the Lenny Dets, if anything went as originally planned. But "Beatrice" gave the Alignment too good an opportunity to miss it (or so they thought, at least), even if they could target 'only' Manticore and Grayson with the available sharks - the original plan covered Haven, too, iIrc - so they acted.
Post by cthia   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:55 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Eagleeye wrote:

I think it was a typo. After all, Oyster Bay should use the Lenny Dets, if anything went as originally planned. But "Beatrice" gave the Alignment too good an opportunity to miss it (or so they thought, at least), even if they could target 'only' Manticore and Grayson with the available sharks - the original plan covered Haven, too, iIrc - so they acted.

First thought I had was that it was the name for the Haven leg of Oyster Bay, but no, probably not.

I wonder if it isn't so much as a typo rather than an editing error. Perhaps RFC originally planned to call the operation Oyster Harbor - mimicking Pearl Harbor - since the operation seems to be a MAlign adopted version of Pearl Harbor, and therefore that one spot represents the one place in text the editing was missed.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:12 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

ISTR there was a conversation regarding Oyster Harbour to the effect that it would have included the Haven shipyards as well.

The Oyster Harbour plan was to use the LDs to carry out the raids, but the advantages that Apollo gave Manticore made the Detweilers realise the tech imbalance between Manticore and Haven was greater than they had previously thought, and they brought a modified plan (Oyster Bay) forward using the training ships instead of the LDs.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Eagleeye   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:41 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

cthia wrote:
First thought I had was that it was the name for the Haven leg of Oyster Bay, but no, probably not.

I wonder if it isn't so much as a typo rather than an editing error. Perhaps RFC originally planned to call the operation Oyster Harbor - mimicking Pearl Harbor - since the operation seems to be a MAlign adopted version of Pearl Harbor, and therefore that one spot represents the one place in text the editing was missed.

(bold text by me)
I wonder, if the Detweilers looked at the end of the war which started with Pearl Harbor. They don't seem to be superstitious, else the saying "Nomen est Omen" should've warned them against using that special codephrase to name that operation, that's for sure :lol:
Post by cthia   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:55 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Eagleeye wrote:
cthia wrote:

(bold text by me)
I wonder, if the Detweilers looked at the end of the war which started with Pearl Harbor. They don't seem to be superstitious, else the saying "Nomen est Omen" should've warned them against using that special codephrase to name that operation, that's for sure :lol:

They certainly found out that rare pearls are indeed found in Oysters, the GA. . .

"Out of all the ph**king Oysters we had to shuck to pull this one off, not a single one of them had a rare pearl inside. Damn lucky Manties!"

BTW, what is the translation of that? Straight from the horse's German. So any subtleties won't get lost in an American's translation.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Eagleeye   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:28 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

cthia wrote:They certainly found out that rare pearls are indeed found in Oysters, the GA. . .

"Out of all the ph**king Oysters we had to shuck to pull this one off, not a single one of them had a rare pearl inside. Damn lucky Manties!"

BTW, what is the translation of that? Straight from the horse's German. So any subtleties won't get lost in an American's translation.

You mean "Nomen est Omen"? That's latin. It means "The name is an omen" And an omen is a sign, an augury, a presage ... something along that lines.
Post by cthia   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:51 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Eagleeye wrote:
cthia wrote:They certainly found out that rare pearls are indeed found in Oysters, the GA. . .

You mean "Nomen est Omen"? That's latin. It means "The name is an omen" And an omen is a sign, an augury, a presage ... something along that lines.

Thanks Eagleeye.

Of course. I could read "name is omen" without translating. But oftentimes, regions and nations, like Germany, have their own subtle translation local to the region. Especially since German is part of the same subgroup of languages as vulgar latin and latin.

IOW, I was wondering if in German it carried the same connotation as in some subtly intimate translations local to the region, as in "You have cursed with that name."

It is prevalent in America. "Why have you cursed that child with that godawful name?"

"The name is an omen" is essentially the same thing, except that in some cultures it has generally defaulted solely to mean, to be an evil or bad omen, instead of the intrinsically good or evil inherent in the original translation.

That screws the meaning up for certain, because there just as easily could be an ominously good name given to a child. Like . . . Jesus.

There's not just the phenomena of word drift but translation drift. Truly lost in translation after translation after translation - one generation more removed from the original conception.

Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:25 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

cthia wrote:Of course. I could read "name is omen" without translating. But oftentimes, regions and nations, like Germany, have their own subtle translation local to the region. Especially since German is part of the same subgroup of languages as vulgar latin and latin.

I believe German has a root in the Gothic languages not the Romance languages stemming from Latin, although both have a root in the Indo-European language.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah

Return to Honorverse