Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

[SPOILERS] Now that the war is over . . .

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [SPOILERS] Now that the war is over . . .
Post by cthia   » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:03 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:
Remember that if you bought an e-version already for your computer, moving books to the kindle is free.

Of course, if you have a friend who has them, there is no DRM. Not nice to do in a big way but a book or two seems to be fine with the Baen crew since it encourages more e purchases.

In the old day, we would have passed a single paperback between groups of friends, or waited in line for our turn at the library. Sharing an e-book is roughly the same thing, as long as it's among a small group.

ldwechsler wrote:Baen understands. Most other publishers don't. I've had two or three friends who now own a reasonably complete set of the Honorverse books thanks to reading one or two of mine.

I've got over 20 friends in Romania who now own complete Weber Works from reading my very first confiscated copy of OBS -- the original hard cover edition, that has now been read and signed over 100 times and finally returned to the states. It is now making a second journey here in the states. I hear that an 85-yr-old Romanian woman is now an Honor fan. She seems to love the idea of prolong.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:31 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Baen (and other publishers) tend to give one book out of a series FREE... David Weber had a CD in the back cover of At All Costs with at least 10 of his books on it.
Amazon, Book Bub, Project Gutenberg, public libraries among others provide free books and <though I haven't figured out how to do it> it is possible for me to loan books to you.
Also, seems to my fuzzy memory that there is also a way to tie into a lending library of all willing kindle libraries..

[/quote]
Baen understands. Most other publishers don't. I've had two or three friends who now own a reasonably complete set of the Honorverse books thanks to reading one or two of mine.[/quote]
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Theemile   » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:39 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

C. O. Thompson wrote:Baen (and other publishers) tend to give one book out of a series FREE... David Weber had a CD in the back cover of At All Costs with at least 10 of his books on it.
Amazon, Book Bub, Project Gutenberg, public libraries among others provide free books and <though I haven't figured out how to do it> it is possible for me to loan books to you.
Also, seems to my fuzzy memory that there is also a way to tie into a lending library of all willing kindle libraries..

Most Libraries have a lending app, where they own X electric copies of a work and you can check them out electronically for Y amount of time before it moves on to the next requestor. I believe there are several apps of that nature - check with your local library to find their partner software if you wish to sign up.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:46 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

I think my favorite dialog from everything David Weber ever wrote follows the question "Then why the hell do we even have a Navy?" Abruzzi spat.

Far too many honorable men and women are placed in harms way by men and women with nothing more important to them than a few more dollars or a few more minutes in power.
Kingsford provided the only proper response to that question for such orders.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:45 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I've got over 20 friends in Romania who now own complete Weber Works from reading my very first confiscated copy of OBS -- the original hard cover edition, that has now been read and signed over 100 times and finally returned to the states. It is now making a second journey here in the states. I hear that an 85-yr-old Romanian woman is now an Honor fan. She seems to love the idea of prolong.
Random aside, isn’t language an odd thing sometimes. The phrase “original hardcover edition” struck me as amusing when discussing a book that’s 6 years and a few editions away from the original original edition. It’s technically correct, it was the first time the book was printed in hardcover, just struck me as a place where the denotation and connotation don’t exactly match.

Anyway, love that your copy has covered so much distance and introduced so many fans to the Honorverse.
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:33 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

C. O. Thompson wrote:I think my favorite dialog from everything David Weber ever wrote follows the question "Then why the hell do we even have a Navy?" Abruzzi spat.

Far too many honorable men and women are placed in harms way by men and women with nothing more important to them than a few more dollars or a few more minutes in power.
Pardon my bold.

Very nice thought C.O. And dead on the money. It made me appreciate even more Honor's satisfaction and pleasure at finding out that her Queen is indeed worthy. Honor could never do what she does for a Kingsford.

It also highlights the essence of Honor that she suffers a severe cut on her soul at the loss of every single crew member. And her crew knows this. In essence, Honor is as worthy to her crew as Beth is to her.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by stewart   » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:42 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:
C. O. Thompson wrote:I think my favorite dialog from everything David Weber ever wrote follows the question "Then why the hell do we even have a Navy?" Abruzzi spat.

Pardon my bold.

Very nice thought C.O. And dead on the money. It made me appreciate even more Honor's satisfaction and pleasure at finding out that her Queen is indeed worthy. Honor could never do what she does for a Kingsford.

It also highlights the essence of Honor that she suffers a severe cut on her soul at the loss of every single crew member. And her crew knows this. In essence, Honor is as worthy to her crew as Beth is to her.

--------------

The term is "Leadership"

The "Leader" has been there and done that, and is worthy of the position.
The "followers" or "fellow leaders" set further examples and behaviors which inspire subordinates to follow without flinching wherever they are led.

-- Stewart
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:49 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

Pardon my bold.

stewart wrote:--------------

The term is "Leadership"

The "followers" or "fellow leaders" set further examples and behaviors which inspire subordinates to follow without flinching wherever they are led.

-- Stewart

Unless that leader is Elvis Santino, High Ridge or Janasick?

Or a countless number of silly Sollies.

Post by stewart   » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:08 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

cthia[quote="C. O. Thompson wrote:I think my favorite dialog from everything David Weber ever wrote follows the question "Then why the hell do we even have a Navy?" Abruzzi spat.

Pardon my bold.

It also highlights the essence of Honor that she suffers a severe cut on her soul at the loss of every single crew member. And her crew knows this. In essence, Honor is as worthy to her crew as Beth is to her.[/quote]

stewart wrote:--------------

The term is "Leadership"

-- Stewart

Or a countless number of silly Sollies.[/quote]

----------

Some tasks are done out of "duty only" in spite of the individuals issuing the orders.

remember that some (Alice Truman for ex.) voluntarily went "on the beach" rather than serve under High Ridge and Janacek.

-- Stewart
Post by stewart   » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:12 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

The term is "Leadership"

-- Stewart[/quote]

Or a countless number of silly Sollies.[/quote]

--------------

Janacek and co were not Leaders in the proper sense. they WERE the ones in Authority, but they dictated policy and orders rather than Leading.
There is a significant difference.

-- Stewart

Return to Honorverse