Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests

[SPOILERS] Now that the war is over . . .

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [SPOILERS] Now that the war is over . . .
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:55 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:Speaking as an outsider I find the reverence shown to the US Constitution by some members of the US to be puzzling. Sure it is an important document, but as circumstances change it also should change. Not easily perhaps but after due process certainly.

What is so strange about wanting our government to change the Constitution if "necessary" instead of just ignoring it? If the Government can't change the Constitution by following the rules, the change wasn't "necessary" after all, was it?
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:28 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Joat42 wrote:
cthia wrote:Joat, create a topic in the Politics forum, take this post with you, and I'll drop in. I admit that I don't really wish to discuss American politics with disconnected non Americans. It's why I bowed out of the discussion on guns there. I have my hands full with the idiots in my own country to deal with foreigners on most subjects. But I'll keep my promise and at least make an appearance or three.

Agreed, this discussion belongs in the Politics forum.

But as I said earlier in this thread, sometimes real world politics parallels fictional politics - and in those instances I guess it's okay to compare the two as long as we don't stray into pure real world politics debates.

On a closely related topic, it's quite easy to be myopic concerning your own countries politics. Just look at how the mandarins where able to manipulate the Solarian public and how many people looking in from the outside saw the lies and transgressions for what they where.

We all have blank spots on internal politics because often we lack the overall picture an external viewpoint can give.

You have a point Joat. Some very good insight can come from a neutral source, an outsider. What was it that Honor said to Tremaine? "Out of the mouth of babes." If it is any consolation, there are already many outsiders who are living right here in the country enjoying dual citizenship, who can vote! I have three very close foreign friends who have dual citizenship, and who are very bright. Two of them refuse to participate in American politics. Both are women who feel that they don't have the moral right to influence a political system in which they personally feel they are lacking, even though legally they can vote. They've been in the country for less than a decade.

Oddly enough, I have a very dear friend from childhood who has dual citizenship but lives abroad. He refuses to participate in foreign politics because he doesn't wish to be guilty of what most foreigners are guilty of regarding the US. As a matter of fact, we talked at length less than a week ago. He's seriously thinking about giving up his US citizenship because the tax laws for Americans living abroad is crippling for US businessmen.

But for the most part, I abhor the many Housemans who think they can participate in any serious discussions in any fashion other than a listener from the back seat. There are many names I've heard new Americans given. Boat ride Americans, dime store Americans, lucky Americans, administrative Americans, spousal Americans, common law Americans, illegal Americans, costume Americans, fake Americans, perpetrating Americans, etc., etc., who are Americans on paper or lip service only. Or not.

Add very informed :roll: internet American.

At any rate, we already suffer that outside vantage point within.

I hesitate discussing American politics with outsiders. If you check the huge guns thread you'll see my abstinence although I was recruited to the thread very early on, on several occasions. The arrogance of foreigners knocks me for a loop, and I find myself seeing Honor chasing after a crabbing Houseman and repeatedly smacking the GPA out of him. Do shut up! So I practice abstinence whenever I can. But sometimes the many Housemans just, just — gets Honor's goat!

There is a post hanging in the gun thread awaiting my response. But it would take the equivalent of 5 pages to fill in the disconnects before a post will even begin to make sense. Most of the internet garbling from foreigners on American politics makes me go W :o E!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:50 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Thanks for adding the SPOILER tag Duckk. I was wondering if I should, however I didn't want to incur anyone's wrath for killing one of the few smoke-free environments. But spoilers have already crept into the thread anyway, so. . .thanks!

Last edited by cthia on Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Joat42   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:54 pm

Joat42
Admiral

cthia wrote:He's seriously thinking about giving up his US citizenship because the tax laws for Americans living abroad is crippling for US businessmen.

I have a friend in Texas that lived here in Sweden for a couple of years and the byzantine tax code for US citizens abroad just boggles the mind. I think he spent 3 weeks trying to get it right.

Giving up a citizenship for that is telling how bad the code is. But then, tax code in general wherever you are is always on the byzantine side.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Joat42 wrote:
cthia wrote:He's seriously thinking about giving up his US citizenship because the tax laws for Americans living abroad is crippling for US businessmen.

I have a friend in Texas that lived here in Sweden for a couple of years and the byzantine tax code for US citizens abroad just boggles the mind. I think he spent 3 weeks trying to get it right.

Giving up a citizenship for that is telling how bad the code is. But then, tax code in general wherever you are is always on the byzantine side.

It's shameful and the bureaucratic red tape is appalling. I've had friends, along with the present one discussed, who rants about it being better to be a foreigner living abroad doing business with America, than to be an American living abroad doing business with America or foreigners.

One of my sisters long since sold her overseas business because of the headache.

Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:44 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I really think the RMN should begin taking special note of every ship using the junction, right down to the signature of its engines. ONI should start an ambitious search for any clues of a hidden entity - accidentally divulging too much information via seemingly innocuous inconsistences in travel, engine signature, etc. I wonder if the MA shied away from using the junctions during Lacoon. Wanting to avoid the sparse traffic where more time could be spent eyeballing them.

Cross reference everything now that everyone's happy that the Interstate Hwy is reopen.

Post by Joat42   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:48 pm

Joat42
Admiral

cthia wrote:I really think the RMN should begin taking special note of every ship using the junction, right down to the signature of its engines. ONI should start an ambitious search for any clues of a hidden entity - accidentally divulging too much information via seemingly innocuous inconsistences in travel, engine signature, etc. I wonder if the MA shied away from using the junctions during Lacoon. Wanting to avoid the sparse traffic where more time could be spent eyeballing them.

Cross reference everything now that everyone's happy that the Interstate Hwy is reopen.

I'm thinking in all probability that they already keep the signatures since it's prudent. However, considering the amount of traffic and the analysis needed to find the 'odd' freighter or ship isn't easy.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Joat42 wrote:
cthia wrote:I really think the RMN should begin taking special note of every ship using the junction, right down to the signature of its engines. ONI should start an ambitious search for any clues of a hidden entity - accidentally divulging too much information via seemingly innocuous inconsistences in travel, engine signature, etc. I wonder if the MA shied away from using the junctions during Lacoon. Wanting to avoid the sparse traffic where more time could be spent eyeballing them.

I'm thinking in all probability that they already keep the signatures since it's prudent. However, considering the amount of traffic and the analysis needed to find the 'odd' freighter or ship isn't easy.

Really? I rather thought they did that anyway as routine. Especially now that they are at DEFCON 3. Aren't impeller signatures already tagged and bagged by CIC of anything transiting the system? Present day air traffic controllers have an icon on the screen of everything in the air with accompanying data. The Honorverse can't top that? I recall one battle where CIC had an icon of all ships. . .wait, perhaps that was the demonstration given to Admiral Garrett on Grayson when Honor was first ignored.

My badd if I'm in error. At any rate, a specialized computer taking names and smelling exhaust signatures, so to speak, of all vessels in and out of Manticoran space, cross referenced against a frequent list from all deployed commands could possibly produce some very nice surprises. In the same vein as that AI used by the Havenites to tear Honor's and Cutworm's undies.

"Um, sir, the computer has flagged this data. Confidence is very high sir!"

"Good job Lieutenant. Hustle this data to Pat Givens over at ONI immediately"

"Yes sir!"

Present day air traffic controllers map a lot of data. Surely it pales by comparison to CIC in the Manticore Binary System. During DEFCON 3 to boot?

Using this site on a 70-in HD TV is totally awesome!

Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:14 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Now that the war is over, will Honor spend some time on Grayson? It's been a while since her steading has seen her. However, she is CO of Grand Fleet. How can she leave when she's minding the henhouse? It'd be nice if some of her steading would be invited to visit the binary system.

Another thing I've noticed is that Honor doesn't seem to visit Sphinx much. Doesn't she long for home sometime? Doesn't she wish to visit the cats still on planet? Seems she'd get homesick sometime. Like myself, no matter how long I'm gone, I need to return to smell the salty air of the beach and a good swim. Seaweed keeps my skin clear.

Post by Dauntless   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:45 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

not touching the first question.

second as to visiting sphinx and home. well home now is White Haven, with her hunsband, wife and kids.

also she is a very busy woman and often advises the queen on important things so getting time to return the Sphinx is hard.

I suspect when her parents & siblings return to the freehold for the first time she will go with them for at least a visit. don't forget while the freehold is intact it was on the same side of the planet as the Yawatta strike. the largest real city to the freehold was wiped out, hence why she lost much family. I can see returning there being very hard.

If she ever gets chance to retire I wonder if she will convince Hamish and Emily to move to sphinx for a couple of years. let the kids run wild with the treecat Nannies and the rest of the clan. get some distance from the admiralty and QE3, though that may be tricky if Hamish is still first lord and the heavier grav might cause emily problems.

Return to Honorverse