Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

[SPOILERS] Now that the war is over . . .

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [SPOILERS] Now that the war is over . . .
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:04 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Brigade XO wrote:The formal war with the SLN is ended- sort of. Now we get to see the Post-War and what happens after, particularly what the SL Assembly does with the new Constitution and what kind of backlash comes from the litteraly millions of people are going to be unhappy (vastly, passionately, deeply) with the outcome, kind of like the American South at the end of the American Civil War.
Then there are all those trans-stellar companies who's rice bowls have just been shattered. Lots of bad feeling there.
So we also have the Alignment who is still hiding in the shadows though their existence has been confirmed (to those who want to keep their heads in the sand or other reasons) which is a war not even begun to fight on the side of the GA. Oh, they want to fight it but firsst they have to find the enemy and some solid targets to hit.
Messy, very messy.

I will say only that most of the average citizens of the SL won't have any particular bone to pick with the GA once the true history of the war comes out and the new constitution has time to settle in. There will be individual star systems --- especially the Sol System, itself --- which will obviously feel very aggrieved. "Hey! Just because the SLN killed fifty or sixty million of your citizens and did trillions of credits of damage to completely neutral systems, that was no reason to come bust up our stuff! We didn't do nuffin to youse guys! It was them nasty old Mandarins, so why you wanna go and pick on us? Meanies! An' we're gonna get even, too --- so there!" The fact that Honor didn't kill one single person (civilian or military)in her entire incursion into the Sol System won't mean a solitary damn to them any more than it would to any other entitled bunch of people. Their problem is going to be the new constitution, which won't let Terra-based cliques run the entire League any longer (and the entrenched bureaucrats, lobbyists, and pressure groups are gonna hate that!) The rest of the League is actually likely to come out of it figuring Sol got what it deserved (after all, all those other systems certainly aren't going to blame themselves for it!), and once they figure out how much better they like the new constitution, they're probably going to figure it makes a lot more sense to do business with the SEM and the RH than it does to beat any dead equines.

Now, you're durn tooting those folks whose rice bowls just got smashed are gonna want revenge, but their power's just been pretty drastically trimmed back. A lot of them are likely to want to fish in the Sol System itself when all the reconstruction contracts come through, of course, but most of them are going to be brooding over all they've lost. At the same time, most of them are business people. They may hate the Manties from here to Hell and back, but business is business . . . at least as long as they don't get caught.

Things are going to be messiest in the ex-Protectorates and among the newly independent star systems, and there's going to be plenty of troubled water for ambitious fishermen to chuck sticks of dynamite into where those areas are concerned. Absent machinations of the MA, however, it's unlikely any of them are going to pose existential threats to the GA's members.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Captain Golding   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:32 am

Captain Golding
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Dauntless wrote:not touching the first question.

second as to visiting sphinx and home. well home now is White Haven, with her hunsband, wife and kids.

also she is a very busy woman and often advises the queen on important things so getting time to return the Sphinx is hard.

I suspect when her parents & siblings return to the freehold for the first time she will go with them for at least a visit. don't forget while the freehold is intact it was on the same side of the planet as the Yawatta strike. the largest real city to the freehold was wiped out, hence why she lost much family. I can see returning there being very hard.

If she ever gets chance to retire I wonder if she will convince Hamish and Emily to move to sphinx for a couple of years. let the kids run wild with the treecat Nannies and the rest of the clan. get some distance from the admiralty and QE3, though that may be tricky if Hamish is still first lord and the heavier grav might cause emily problems.

Hmm, Well Honour is taking an extended leave from the RMN with Q.E's approval. So yes I bet some of her time will be spent on Grayson. I suspect that Hamish would go with her as well. Still I suspect a lot of that is going to have to be off camera as it were while other characters pick up the slack and carry on the War.

So what next ? "Searching the Shadows" ? i.e. a book covering the actions of the Ghost Hunters on Earth and the trio on Mesa as they try to hunt out the MA? As with the other Shadows series books Honour would be no more than a side reference but we should see Helen get back to Tactical Track and Miss Owens get her first GSN posting (with lots of room for conflicts there with more traditional Grayson Officers - would "Owens steadholders be more defferential perhaps ? :-> not to mention her developing love life coming into conflict with the more restrictive Grayson culture). I've seen lots of suggestions on how to find the MA but nothing says they have to be found yet.

I look forward to this one what ever the actual title but meanwhile we have "House of Lies" and the "Darkfall" stories and the next T. Long book to see as well.
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:28 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

Captain Golding wrote:
Dauntless wrote:not touching the first question.

second as to visiting sphinx and home. well home now is White Haven, with her hunsband, wife and kids.

also she is a very busy woman and often advises the queen on important things so getting time to return the Sphinx is hard.

I suspect when her parents & siblings return to the freehold for the first time she will go with them for at least a visit. don't forget while the freehold is intact it was on the same side of the planet as the Yawatta strike. the largest real city to the freehold was wiped out, hence why she lost much family. I can see returning there being very hard.

If she ever gets chance to retire I wonder if she will convince Hamish and Emily to move to sphinx for a couple of years. let the kids run wild with the treecat Nannies and the rest of the clan. get some distance from the admiralty and QE3, though that may be tricky if Hamish is still first lord and the heavier grav might cause emily problems.

Hmm, Well Honour is taking an extended leave from the RMN with Q.E's approval. So yes I bet some of her time will be spent on Grayson. I suspect that Hamish would go with her as well. Still I suspect a lot of that is going to have to be off camera as it were while other characters pick up the slack and carry on the War.

So what next ? "Searching the Shadows" ? i.e. a book covering the actions of the Ghost Hunters on Earth and the trio on Mesa as they try to hunt out the MA? As with the other Shadows series books Honour would be no more than a side reference but we should see Helen get back to Tactical Track and Miss Owens get her first GSN posting (with lots of room for conflicts there with more traditional Grayson Officers - would "Owens steadholders be more defferential perhaps ? :-> not to mention her developing love life coming into conflict with the more restrictive Grayson culture). I've seen lots of suggestions on how to find the MA but nothing says they have to be found yet.

I look forward to this one what ever the actual title but meanwhile we have "House of Lies" and the "Darkfall" stories and the next T. Long book to see as well.

But how long do we have to wait to get our grubby little paws on them???? :mrgreen:
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by GregD   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:07 pm

GregD
Commander

runsforcelery wrote:...
The fact that Honor didn't kill one single person (civilian or military)in her entire incursion into the Sol System won't mean a solitary damn to them any more than it would to any other entitled bunch of people.

Spoiler warning!!! Don't read on if you haven't read the eARC!

I mean it!!!

Unless you've changed this scene, she did indeed kill some military people:

“Admiral,” he said very carefully, “the main platforms didn’t take a single hit. We lost two destroyers and a heavy cruiser, but I think that was a mistake in their targeting.”

“A mistake?” Pataloeshti repeated.

“Yes, Sir—a mistake. They didn’t hit any of our other active ships, and with all those battlecruisers and superdreadnoughts in orbit, I don’t see how they could have missed them all unless they’d tried really hard.”

That should be 1,000+ people dead, IIRC.
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:38 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

GregD wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:...
The fact that Honor didn't kill one single person (civilian or military)in her entire incursion into the Sol System won't mean a solitary damn to them any more than it would to any other entitled bunch of people.

Spoiler warning!!! Don't read on if you haven't read the eARC!

I mean it!!!

Unless you've changed this scene, she did indeed kill some military people:

“Admiral,” he said very carefully, “the main platforms didn’t take a single hit. We lost two destroyers and a heavy cruiser, but I think that was a mistake in their targeting.”

“A mistake?” Pataloeshti repeated.

“Yes, Sir—a mistake. They didn’t hit any of our other active ships, and with all those battlecruisers and superdreadnoughts in orbit, I don’t see how they could have missed them all unless they’d tried really hard.”

That should be 1,000+ people dead, IIRC.

Oh, all right! :lol:

So I forgot about them. But, seriously? A thousand or so when the SLN death toll was already somewhere north of 2,000,000?

I'll grant you I should have remembered them, but it doesn't change my original point, smartass!

Bad, GregD! No cookie! :lol:

Post by GregD   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:16 pm

GregD
Commander

runsforcelery wrote:I'll grant you I should have remembered them, but it doesn't change my original point, smartass!

That's ok, with the size of my "waist", I don't need any cookies. :-(
Post by cthia   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:17 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

GregD wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:I'll grant you I should have remembered them, but it doesn't change my original point, smartass!

That's ok, with the size of my "waist", I don't need any cookies. :-(

I don't know what the hell is going on here, but we all languished miserably waiting for day the Salamander would pull up anchor and set sail for the Sol System ready to rock-n-roll. You mean to tell me she rocked but there were no heads rolling??? I do mean literally rolling from "unattachment" to their shoulders.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by runsforcelery   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:26 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

cthia wrote:

GregD wrote:That's ok, with the size of my "waist", I don't need any cookies. :-(

I don't know what the hell is going on here, but we all languished miserably waiting for day the Salamander would pull up anchor and set sail for the Sol System ready to rock-n-roll. You mean to tell me she rocked but there were no heads rolling??? I do mean literally rolling from "unattachment" to their shoulders.

The thread was marked "spoilers." Just sayin'.

Post by cthia   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:50 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

GregD wrote:That's ok, with the size of my "waist", I don't need any cookies. :-(

runsforcelery wrote:The thread was marked "spoilers." Just sayin'.

Fair.

I'm not saying I'm completely closed to a revelation that some heads rolled and some butts - sitting safely ensconced in some hulking ships of metal - were kicked specifically by Sally herself.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:54 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Meant to ask before but ended up on an unplanned vacation. . .

One concept the League gave the galaxy is the idea of a mothballed fleet. Is it too much to consider the SEM slowly putting warships in a savings account? The League did it. Haven did it.

If they did, which ships would likely enjoy the longest life of usefulness, a less chance of becoming obsolete? Also, if the SEM were to consider the option, where would such a fleet be kept?

Now I know there must be a build down, but there should still be a few dollars leftover to slowly feed the bank.

A mothballed fleet wouldn't be nearly as costly, and available in a pinch if some entity tries to get bullish, or gorillarish, on your market.

Is the BC the most enduring design?

Return to Honorverse