Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

What was Byngs official mission?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
What was Byngs official mission?
Post by Maldorian   » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Maldorian
Captain (Junior Grade)

Like the topic said: what was his official mission?

Byng had the command about a real big Frontier Fleet, as a Battle Fleet officer. Why should the Frontier Fleet Leadership give him so much ships without a good reason? My question would be: "You want more than 30 Battlecruiser from us? Use a dozen of your Dreadnoughts instead and don´t ask again!"
Re: What was Byngs official mission?
Post by Theemile   » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:40 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Maldorian wrote:Like the topic said: what was his official mission?

Byng had the command about a real big Frontier Fleet, as a Battle Fleet officer. Why should the Frontier Fleet Leadership give him so much ships without a good reason? My question would be: "You want more than 30 Battlecruiser from us? Use a dozen of your Dreadnoughts instead and don´t ask again!"

1) The SLN does not have dreadnaughts
2) Some of the BCs in Byng's force were Battle Fleet
3) There had only been 5 excursions of BF SDs out of the core in ~250 years, 2 of which (Crandell and Filerata) were just occuring then. So that type of BF mission doesn't usually happen.

Beyond that, I don't have a good excuse for you as to why a BF Admiral with a scratched together fleet of 25 BCs (one squadron was attached to Crandall, I believe) would be out there - Hands on, dealing with the Monica issue perhaps? I don't think it was ever definitely stated.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:57 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I thought it was stated. At least implicitly. Byng was there to pretty much show the flag. He was chosen simply because of his ignorance, institutional hatred for all things Manticoran and the fact that he was so deep in Mesan pockets that he couldn't breathe.

Due to serendipity, he was sent by the SLN to test the waters. He was sent by the Mesans to die!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Fireflair   » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:20 pm

Fireflair
Captain of the List

Byng was selected by the MAlign to do as he did. However the excuse that got him out there to take charge of the Frontier Fleet detachment that was being sent to bolster re-enforce Commissioner Verrochio's OFS detachment. It was in the works before Monica happened.

It's discussed in Storm from the Shadows a few different times from different perspectives.

Return to Honorverse