Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny, ThinksMarkedly and 55 guests

Mind voice dialects.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Mind voice dialects.
Post by Jeslis   » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:45 pm

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:One of these days, I have got to write the story of the memory singer who actually makes the breakthrough into understanding the very concept of language. I warn you, it's a heartbreaker, :cry: but it would put a lot of this into context for you.

This is referring to the 'injured' cat who lost her ability to 'hear', but not speak.. and went to live/interact with humans due to being sure they were communicating ~somehow~ without thought/mindspeak... mentioned in the book where teaching the cats to hand-sign was first brought up?
Post by cthia   » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:02 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Prerequisites:

Thinking is metaphysical.
Communication is not metaphysical
Telepathy straddles the fence.

David, there is lots of wiggle room within the metaphysical realm. This fact has supplied many an author with fuel. Even so, what you have presented, as you've presented it, is a fail. Supported by your own textev and the mechanics of the ideas at hand. I need time to properly digest what you have presented and then present it back to you. I owe that much to us both to resist quickly plunging in where only fools rush in. This topic is not one to blindly and hurriedly Solly along. I am glad that it is finally sprouting wings. Though some thoughts are still underdeveloped and aren't ready to leave the nest. This isn't a topic to take lightly, as is the nature of the beast dwelling within the metaphysical, philosophical realm.

To: Joat, JohnRoth and Annachie. I sent you a Kudos Cake and a Hooray Cake in the mail. But then you fell for David's fail. So don't begrudge my decision to stop payment on the cake. LOL

To: CmndrAthenaAprilist. :D

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Joat42   » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:22 pm

Joat42
Admiral

cthia wrote:Prerequisites:

David, there is lots of wiggle room within the metaphysical realm. This fact has supplied many an author with fuel. Even so, what you have presented, as you've presented it, is a fail. Supported by your own textev and the mechanics of the ideas at hand. I need time to properly digest what you have presented and then present it back to you. I owe that much to us both to resist quickly plunging in where only fools rush in. This topic is not one to blindly and hurriedly Solly along. I am glad that it is finally sprouting wings. Though some thoughts are still underdeveloped and aren't ready to leave the nest. This isn't a topic to take lightly, as is the nature of the beast dwelling within the metaphysical, philosophical realm.

To: Joat, JohnRoth and Annachie. I sent you a Kudos Cake and a Hooray Cake in the mail. But then you fell for David's fail. So don't begrudge my decision to stop payment on the cake. LOL

In other words, you think RFC is wrong about how treecats communicate but you can't tell us why. Isn't it a bit rich to tell an author that he/she is wrong about something in the universe he/she created?

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:37 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Cthia, you may disagree with me. That is your privilege. In this instance, however, I don't care.

Determining and defining the nature of treecat communication is something upon which I have spent a lot of time over the last 25 years, and anything you may present to the contrary is a fail because your position is inherently species-centric. We know one way to structure the nature of communication and thought processes because we are limited to our own experience and the analysis of our own thought processes. I would suggest to you, though, that one function of science-fiction is to suggest the possibility that there may be processes and perspectives of which we know not.

As I say, you are entitled to your opinion. However, nothing is going to change about the fashion in which treecats communicate with one another and process information.

The nature of alien is to be alien. the nature of processes and perspectives from outside our own experience is to be outside our own experience.

Treecats are.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by thanatos   » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:57 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:

Cthia, you may disagree with me. That is your privilege. In this instance, however, I don't care.

Determining and defining the nature of treecat communication is something upon which I have spent a lot of time over the last 25 years, and anything you may present to the contrary is a fail because your position is inherently species-centric. We know one way to structure the nature of communication and thought processes because we are limited to our own experience and the analysis of our own thought processes. I would suggest to you, though, that one function of science-fiction is to suggest the possibility that there may be processes and perspectives of which we know not.

As I say, you are entitled to your opinion. However, nothing is going to change about the fashion in which treecats communicate with one another and process information.

The nature of alien is to be alien. the nature of processes and perspectives from outside our own experience is to be outside our own experience.

Treecats are.

I seem to recall a passage from Fire Season where Left-Striped says that "there must be greater variation between these two-legged people than there is among our own people. They have no memory singers to bind them together with shared histories". Despite the occasional turf war between clans and the rarer instances psychopathy and madness, treecats seem to have a planetary culture that is more homogeneous than any human society. If one eliminated the economic reasons for wars, specifically competition over limited resources and food, you are left with cultural, religious and perhaps political/diplomatic reasons. If you eliminated ambiguity that results from diplomatic actions (which treecats do with their inability to outright lie to each other), that would leave only cultural and religious reasons. There is no indication that the treecats have anything approaching a religious belief structure of any kind so culture is pretty much all that's left, and the treecats on Sphinx have a lot of shared historical experiences that mitigate any sort of cultural disputes (like the initial aversion that some clans had to Bright Water over their decision to associate with us two-legs).

So for any sort of differing dialects to emerge among treecats, I would have to guess that it would have to be a sea change in their basic circumstances. Something that would actually change the way one group of treecats thought in comparison with all the others. Not only would that require this hypothetical group of treecats to be completely cut off from all other treecats (like say living in an entirely different star system) they would need to be cut off for a very long time, probably generations (which are longer for treecats as their average lifespan is 250 T-years I believe). Their basic experiences would also have to be fundamentally different, like living among humans on a daily basis. None of this has truly happened yet and therefore that homogeneity in thought processes would remain. But I would assume Mr. Weber has considered additional aspects of their alien nature that he hasn't yet expressed in the books.
Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:21 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:

Treecats are.

Duly noted.

On that note, if my logic is sound, it will ultimately only serve the purpose of discrediting 25 years of the author's, of one of my favorite series, investment. That is not something I wish to be known for. Richard Pryor did not want to be the one remembered for killing Superman. As if.

I shall leave my opinion in its crate and do what I promised - to leave the table. I'm probably wrong anyway. Besides, who do I think I am, questioning the right of an author to shape his own world and questioning its specifics. Which is actually something I said - on this very forum - I'd never do. As is often done with the technicality of battle scenes. That really isn't who I am.

Thank you David, for 25 years of your time, the Honorverse, the Treecat species and my favorite damsel in distress, Honor Harrington. Along with the many tears I've cried with no beer to catch and conceal the evidence, since I don't drink urine. Last but not least, I thank your family for their sacrifice. The Honorverse is truly an epic accomplishment that will stand the test of time.

I'm looking forward to that heartbreaking story.

Also, thank you for not killing off Honor, though I hear I have your significant other to thank for that. Do KISS her big for us both.

Sincerely,

cthia

P.S.

My thoughts stem from my fortune of meeting a college professor who was about to embark on a wonderful adventure of attaining a PH.D in her field of study. Language. We collaborated for several years leading to her written dissertation on Consciousness. We remained in contact over the years discussing and refining the material. I mention it only because this chat made me think of her and the year it all started, 1993. Which, after adding 7 and 18, I'm gobsmacked that it has also been 25 years. That dissertation is sitting on the shelves in the stacks of some library.

This postscript is a late afterthought, which almost didn't make the cut, which changes absolutely nothing regarding the body of this post.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by George J. Smith   » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:28 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

thanatos wrote:
snip...

There is no indication that the treecats have anything approaching a religious belief structure of any kind

...snip

There are many instances of the 'cats "speaking" of following their 2 legs into the dark as a result of the 2 legs short lives in comparison to the 'cats.

Is this perhaps an allusion to some sort of afterlife?
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:34 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

An apology to the author

Joat42 wrote:Isn't it a bit rich to tell an author that he/she is wrong about something in the universe he/she created?

Indeed it is. Quite a bit rich considering how I was raised. And more than a tad disrespectful. I am ashamed for my actions and I owe the author a hearty apology. Thanks for calling me on it Joat.

For evil to prevail, good men need only do nothing.

Believe it or not, I've always believed an author is never wrong regarding how he chooses to set up his own universe. I am truly ashamed that I forgot about that.

David Weber, I apology for my disrespect and rudeness. I truly do not know what got in to me, except that I failed to think it through. I failed to see where it was headed. I will regret it for the rest of my life. An author is god in his world and fans are privileged and fortunate to be invited in to be a part.

Ironic that I said I would never question an author's art, except for the characters he chooses to kill. To be honest, I question why an author chooses to kill off any character, except for Pavel Young, and Ransom and... So, you see, I don't have a healthy appreciation for death in novels anyway. Characters have to die. Anyway, I digress.

It is also ironic that I created a thread regarding what an author and fan owe each other. Well, quite a bit more respect than I gave here, for certain. What this fan owes this author, is a formal apology.

David Weber, I sincerely apologize. I can't blame it on the alcohol because I don't drink. I can't blame it on Solly arrogance, because even Sollies aren't this arrogant.

I was raised better. So please don't blame it on my parents.

I also owe an apology to the fans who witnessed my awful behavior. My apology to you all.

Oh! One more thing David. Thanks for being so nice about it!

Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:50 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

cthia wrote:An apology to the author

Joat42 wrote:Isn't it a bit rich to tell an author that he/she is wrong about something in the universe he/she created?

Indeed it is. Quite a bit rich considering how I was raised. And more than a tad disrespectful. I am ashamed for my actions and I owe the author a hearty apology. Thanks for calling me on it Joat.

For evil to prevail, good men need only do nothing.

Believe it or not, I've always believed an author is never wrong regarding how he chooses to set up his own universe. I am truly ashamed that I forgot about that.

David Weber, I apology for my disrespect and rudeness. I truly do not know what got in to me, except that I failed to think it through. I failed to see where it was headed. I will regret it for the rest of my life. An author is god in his world and fans are privileged and fortunate to be invited in to be a part.

Ironic that I said I would never question an author's art, except for the characters he chooses to kill. To be honest, I question why an author chooses to kill off any character, except for Pavel Young, and Ransom and... So, you see, I don't have a healthy appreciation for death in novels anyway. Characters have to die. Anyway, I digress.

It is also ironic that I created a thread regarding what an author and fan owe each other. Well, quite a bit more respect than I gave here, for certain. What this fan owes this author, is a formal apology.

David Weber, I sincerely apologize. I can't blame it on the alcohol because I don't drink. I can't blame it on Solly arrogance, because even Sollies aren't this arrogant.

I was raised better. So please don't blame it on my parents.

I also owe an apology to the fans who witnessed my awful behavior. My apology to you all.

Oh! One more thing David. Thanks for being so nice about it!

Don't fall on your sword! Far as I'm concerned, respect doesn't mean deification, or haven't you noticed my conversations with people like kzt and Dilandu? You're fully entitled to disagree with my logic and say so. Worst that can happen is that you're wrong, right? I don't usually try to hand anyone their heads unless they're really egregious about it or the conversation descends into personalities as opposed to reasoned positions. There will come a point at which I say to you (or to kzt) "My house; my rules. This is how it works!" but that's not usually where I start out. I'll concede that it could be considered a tad . . . tactless, shall we say( ;)) to tell the author that his position in his literary universe is a "fail," and that can cause more than the occasional flicker of annoyance. But while I may be the Creator in the Honorverse, I am most definitely not God in real life, and it's entirely possible that where I've decided to go isn't the only way --- or even the best way -- to go by real life standards. I'm most likely going to go that way anyway, especially when I've spent 25 years or so working my way in that direction, but that doesn't mean it's the only way, or possibly even the best way, I might have approached the problem in the first place.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by CmdrAthenaAprilist   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:38 pm

CmdrAthenaAprilist
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:One of these days, I have got to write the story of the memory singer who actually makes the breakthrough into understanding the very concept of language. I warn you, it's a heartbreaker, :cry: but it would put a lot of this into context for you.

Totally off the subject, but looking at your tag at the bottom of your posts, RFC, are you looking forward the new "Christopher Robin" movie coming out?

Return to Honorverse