Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 54 guests

Mind voice dialects.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Mind voice dialects.
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:24 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

CmdrAthenaAprilist wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:One of these days, I have got to write the story of the memory singer who actually makes the breakthrough into understanding the very concept of language. I warn you, it's a heartbreaker, :cry: but it would put a lot of this into context for you.

Totally off the subject, but looking at your tag at the bottom of your posts, RFC, are you looking forward the new "Christopher Robin" movie coming out?

To be honest, haven't really thought about it very much. As someone who read and loved the books --- and read them lovingly to his kids --- the previous forays into bringing them to the big screen have never really worked for me. I know they have for other people, but they just don't captured the real flavor of Milne, as far as I'm concerned.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by CmdrAthenaAprilist   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:26 pm

CmdrAthenaAprilist
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:To be honest, haven't really thought about it very much. As someone who read and loved the books --- and read them lovingly to his kids --- the previous forays into bringing them to the big screen have never really worked for me. I know they have for other people, but they just don't captured the real flavor of Milne, as far as I'm concerned.

My first introduction was the Disney animated version, I didn't read the books until later. I guess that's why those particular voices represent the characters for me.

And back to the original topic- it sounds like what treecats have is what a linguist would call an idiolect; the specific way an individual has of speaking.
Post by George J. Smith   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:14 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

CmdrAthenaAprilist wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:To be honest, haven't really thought about it very much. As someone who read and loved the books --- and read them lovingly to his kids --- the previous forays into bringing them to the big screen have never really worked for me. I know they have for other people, but they just don't captured the real flavor of Milne, as far as I'm concerned.

My first introduction was the Disney animated version, I didn't read the books until later. I guess that's why those particular voices represent the characters for me.

And back to the original topic- it sounds like what treecats have is what a linguist would call an idiolect; the specific way an individual has of speaking.

When Honor talked with Sorrow Singer after the Yawatta strike she mused about the differences between the way the 'cats signed, I would think that was something similar to an idiolect
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Brigade XO   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:30 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Given what we have been told about Treecats and Memory Singers, it is probably unlikely that any dialect will develope between Treecat colonies on different worlds even if they were to be cut off for a couple of centuries.
Note the conversation about Standard English and that English is/was available from recordings including video and it's successors giving people who had copies and maintained them a benchmark for that language.
What is more likely is that treecats on different worlds will pick up new concepts, new words and probably invent new signs for said concepts and words which would have to be transmitted across the various planitary populations.
Memory Singers are giveing something much clearer than just a recording, they are giving the full memory. I suppose it comes down to how Treecat kittens are taught to think and mind-speak. Not something we have a lot of information about yet.

Return to Honorverse