Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 44 guests

Honor's Résumé

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor's Résumé
Post by Vince   » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:41 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

saber964 wrote:The Navy could have bought the other dreadnaughts at salvage prices for spare parts and then sold them for scrap.

Neither spare parts or scrap do not qualify as being bought into service with the RMN by the Admiralty. Being bought into service with the RMN means the a ship is used and manned by the RMN [or allied star nation(s)] personnel under the command of a RMN skipper (ranks vary from Lt CDR to Captain of the List depending on the ship class), flying the flag of (or transpoder code?) of the RMN, in the service of the RMN, for the benefit of the Star (at the time) Kingdom (later Empire) of Manticore.
Vince wrote:You don't even get the scrap metal price. The only way prize money is awarded is if the Admiralty buys (a) captured ship(s) into service, the way some--but not all--of Admiral Chin's surrendered forces at the 1st Battle of Hancock Station were in:
Field of Dishonor, Chapter 4 wrote:"Dame Honor," he said patiently, "a dreadnought is valued at somewhere in the neighborhood of thirty-two billion dollars, and the prize court awards three percent of the value of a surrendered enemy ship to the task force which captured it, assuming the Navy buys the prize into service. Of that total, the flag captains of said task force split twelve percent among themselves, and there were only four flag captains in Hancock at the time Admiral Chin surrendered. The Admiralty survey judged two of her five surviving dreadnoughts too badly damaged for repair, but the Navy bought the other three in. Now, three percent of ninety-six billion dollars is two-point-eight-eight billion, and twelve percent of that is three hundred forty-five million, plus change. Which means, dear lady, that your share comes to a paltry eighty-six million four hundred thousand dollars—exclusive of the lighter vessels surrendered with them. Of course, they only added another six million to your total award, so I suppose we don't have to worry about them. Believe me, those figures are correct. In fact, if you look at page three, you'll see that the most junior enlisted person serving under you will receive almost fifty thousand dollars."
Italics are the author's, boldface and underlined text is my emphasis.

Although it isn't stated in text, I would not be surprised if Hancock Station salvaged the two Havenite DNs that were not bought into service by the Admiralty for spare parts or scrap for the three Havenite DNs that were bought into service by the Admiralty. But the text doesn't mention any payment for spare parts or scrap, either.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:20 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Vince wrote:
saber964 wrote:The Navy could have bought the other dreadnaughts at salvage prices for spare parts and then sold them for scrap.

To be a bit snotty over the whole thing, how about "not so great mother?" Clearly duty came first over her kids.

We could toss in "long time spinster" as well.

Yes, she is great. But her flaws make her human.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:To be a bit snotty over the whole thing, how about "not so great mother?" Clearly duty came first over her kids.

We could toss in "long time spinster" as well.

Yes, she is great. But her flaws make her human.

Not a great mother? :o Honor cried being away from her kids. She was out making the galaxy a better place in which her kids could "live" and grow up. All parents have to leave their kids alone with nightmarish babysitters, daycare services, etc. But you can bet that Harrington's fortune and her henchmen are taking damn good care of hers.

I NEED TO SEE ROSE ABOUT A CRATE! LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:Although it isn't stated in text, I would not be surprised if Hancock Station salvaged the two Havenite DNs that were not bought into service by the Admiralty for spare parts or scrap for the three Havenite DNs that were bought into service by the Admiralty. But the text doesn't mention any payment for spare parts or scrap, either.

According to HoS, the RMN took 5 Havenite DNs into service, serving in back areas until the end of the war. Those other 2 could be from Chin's squadron, as you say, or possibly from any of the other earlier battles with large captures. (However, the Havenites only had 48 DNs in 1905, with just 32 Nouveau Paris DNs in service. First Hancock removing 1/4 of them from the roster) No matter what, those 2 ships probably lived on as spare parts for the rest of the ex-Havenite fleet.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse