Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Query RE ibooks app and Weber books.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Query RE ibooks app and Weber books.
Post by Jeslis   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:28 pm

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:53 pm

So I know that the Honorverse, and the safehold series use different publishers.. but beyond that I'm unsure why this is occuring.

I'm able to preorder Through Fiery Trials (Safehold) coming out on Jan 8th, 2019... but I'm unable to see or preorder Uncompromising Honor, which is slated for October 8th (according to google)..

Any idea what's going on there?

--------

Just gonna tag an edit on here; Secondary question; The E-ARC of Uncompromising Honor came out on April 1st, 2018 if I recall correctly. Is this updated at all? (I know it doesn't become the same as final released version, but did it get any changes from its original release, or is it exactly the same?)
Top
Re: Query RE ibooks app and Weber books.
Post by Eagleeye   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:18 pm

Eagleeye
Captain of the List

Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:41 am
Location: Halle/Saale, Germany

Jeslis wrote:So I know that the Honorverse, and the safehold series use different publishers.. but beyond that I'm unsure why this is occuring.

I'm able to preorder Through Fiery Trials (Safehold) coming out on Jan 8th, 2019... but I'm unable to see or preorder Uncompromising Honor, which is slated for October 8th (according to google)..

Any idea what's going on there?

--------

Just gonna tag an edit on here; Secondary question; The E-ARC of Uncompromising Honor came out on April 1st, 2018 if I recall correctly. Is this updated at all? (I know it doesn't become the same as final released version, but did it get any changes from its original release, or is it exactly the same?)


Regarding your first question, I'm under the impression that Baen reserves the right to get pre-orders for their ebooks for itself. Yes, I know, they don't use it - because of their different publication policy regarding ebooks (eARCs, monthly bundles) - but they reserves it nonetheless. You can get the ebooks via ibooks or Amazon or whereever - but only after the official publication date.

Regarding your 2nd question: If you look at one of the pinned threads, (especially this one: [STICKY] Sneak peek of Uncompromising Honor) you get your answer.
Top
Re: Query RE ibooks app and Weber books.
Post by Jeslis   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:26 pm

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Eagleeye wrote:Regarding your 2nd question: If you look at one of the pinned threads, (especially this one: [STICKY] Sneak peek of Uncompromising Honor) you get your answer.



So to confirm; the EARC is not updated at all after its initial release (April 1st, 2018)?.. The wording Mr. Weber uses only implies that the EARC wasn't updated with the 'snipped' first third he released at the time. It does not state unequivocally that the EARC is never again updated.

((Sorry, I just want to be sure here.))
Top
Re: Query RE ibooks app and Weber books.
Post by Eagleeye   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:36 pm

Eagleeye
Captain of the List

Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:41 am
Location: Halle/Saale, Germany

Jeslis wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:Regarding your 2nd question: If you look at one of the pinned threads, (especially this one: [STICKY] Sneak peek of Uncompromising Honor) you get your answer.



So to confirm; the EARC is not updated at all after its initial release (April 1st, 2018)?.. The wording Mr. Weber uses only implies that the EARC wasn't updated with the 'snipped' first third he released at the time. It does not state unequivocally that the EARC is never again updated.

((Sorry, I just want to be sure here.))


You got that right. There's no update for an eARC as soon as it's published.
Top
Re: Query RE ibooks app and Weber books.
Post by kzt   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:52 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 9665
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:18 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Eagleeye wrote:You got that right. There's no update for an eARC as soon as it's published.

Nothing says they can't but they don't. :cry:
Top
Re: Query RE ibooks app and Weber books.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:58 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 10682
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

kzt wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:You got that right. There's no update for an eARC as soon as it's published.

Nothing says they can't but they don't. :cry:


Nothing says they can't except, perhaps, the law of homogeneity.

You know, the "Hey, his copy is better than mine" complaint.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Query RE ibooks app and Weber books.
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:42 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1150
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 11:15 am

cthia wrote:
kzt wrote:You got that right. There's no update for an eARC as soon as it's published.

Nothing says they can't but they don't. :cry:


Nothing says they can't except, perhaps, the law of homogeneity.

You know, the "Hey, his copy is better than mine" complaint.[/quote]


There are always reasons for thing (though not always good reasons).

The reason there are two different publishers is that TOR offered DW a real lot of money to write that series. It is a bigger publisher than Baen.

As for eArcs, fans have been waiting for UH for a really long time and there is a long delay between its submission and publication date. So an eArc was put out much earlier than usual.

Usually it comes out just around the time the first half of the book comes up on bundles...about three months before publication. At that point, there are not a real lot of editorial changes to be made...the books do need time to be printed, distributed, etc.

The eArc we have of UH is far more preliminary...closer to the famous OOPSIE of DW for Storm from Saganami, where DW wanted to release a snippet and instead sent out the whole book which a group of dedicated fans downloaded immediately.
Top

Return to Honorverse