Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], ThinksMarkedly and 36 guests

The Soul of Haven

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Soul of Haven
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:57 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Two centuries is a very long time for Haven's soul to have been sold to the devil. If not for prolong, the fire would have been long extinguished before any chance of reigniting in patriotic catalysts like Pritchart and Theisman.

Makes me wonder if Democracy here in America is strong enough to survive being put on ice for 200 years, even with prolong.

Just a quick note. When I said RFC was "hung up on" the French Revolution early, I meant really early. Let's face it Manticore is a stand in for Britain in many ways and Honor was a salute to Horatio Hornblower.

And we have the Legistlaturists, Rob S Pierre and St. Juste.

But as things changed, they got more interesting. What would have happened if the Committee for Personal Safety had been replaced by democrats instead of Napoleon?

Of course, we also had a mixture of welfare statism mixed in.

That things have changed for the better is a good thing.
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:50 am

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

ywing14 wrote:
cthia wrote:So the MA definitely knows about the existence of Bolthole? Is that in UH? Not just the location, but even the existence of Bolthole would still be classified info, no?

I forget whichbook but if I recall the MA knew about as much as the SEM. That it existed but that was it. I’m sure Nesbit new about it’s existence and pass that along at the very least.

This thread is older, but I am re-reading the ones I missed; and I wasn't posting much then, anyway. And no one addressed this bit before it ended.

WoH, Chap. 2 wrote: "That 'idiot' has plans of his own, Tom, and you know it," she said aloud. "I still cherish hopes he'll overstep and give me an excuse to bring the hammer down on him, but he's getting himself well enough entrenched to make it hard. And events are going to play right into his hands if the Manties persist in blowing off the negotiations."
"Why?" Theisman's eyes narrowed. "Giancola's been getting more and more pissed with the Manties for months. What makes that so much more important now?"
"The fact," Pritchart sighed, "that, as I should hardly have to remind you, of all people, Senator Jason Giancola became a member of the Naval Affairs Committee last week."
"Oh, crap."

They announced the existence of Bolthole when they revealed their fleet of SD(P)s. Which we only saw from the Mantie side later in the book, when Janacek was put on the spot by High Ridge for not already knowing about it.

So, knowing about Bolthole wasn't a problem for the Malign, it is finding it.

Rob

Rob
Post by stewart   » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:50 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Just a reminder that summarizes RFC's comments is that any nation (or organization) is just one generation away from losing its heart and soul if a core group of idealists loses that original idealism.

-- Stewart

Return to Honorverse