Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

[STICKY] Sneak peek of Uncompromising Honor

This is the place where we will be posting snippets of soon-to-be published works!
Re: [STICKY] Sneak peek of Uncompromising Honor
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:41 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

Eagleeye wrote:Irys Daykin, Princess of Corisande - from RFCs Safehold-series.

Thanks Eagleeye,

I have never read any of the Safehold series books.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by saber964   » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:30 pm

saber964
Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:Irys Daykin, Princess of Corisande - from RFCs Safehold-series.

Thanks Eagleeye,

I have never read any of the Safehold series books.

Check them out you'll love them. If you want to read samples without buying. Click on the snippets page and look for them. IIRC they start with Like a Mighty Fortress. But if you want to start at the beginning read Off Armageddon Reef
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:41 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Randomiser wrote:Thank you very much, RFC ... now just have to wait till October to resolve that cliffhanger!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

On July 15th, the 1st half of the October Webscription goes up. This includes _Uncompromising Honor_. The additional 1/6th of the final book should go to the end of this sequence (and probably beyond that to another cliffhanger).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Subutai Saul   » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:33 am

Subutai Saul
Midshipman

Has anyone else been trying to work out where 'the captain for Rose snippet' (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8990&start=25) ties in with the end of this sneak peak and cliff hanger. I must admit that the speculation of just who's destroyer it was has some extra point added seeing as its ended up mixed up in this situation. Maybe this could be some early Havenite reinforcements as Manticore couldn't find the ships needed? Or it could be Admiral Kotouč's sole destroyer making some splashy moves to attract attention while his BC and CA's quietly sneak in and out of range

The other question this snippet raises is just what happened to Admiral Hajdu Gyôzô seeing as the destroyer captain is talking to an Admiral Yountz. Has Admiral Kotouč already fought and died meaning this is a late arrival or are they working together, deliberately punching him out first to sow confusion into the chain of command and to try and take Parthian off the table by killing the only people with knowledge of it.

After all faced with instructions like that I'd of thought that the senior officer would want to conceal how low their government was willing to sink in the hope of preserving its reputation with their own forces let alone neutrals. This could mean that the initial decap strike would be worth it even if Kotouč loses his entire force pulling it off as he appears to be contemplating rather seriously.

Either way I'm how even more eager for this book so I'm going to have to arrange my preorder soon so I get it on release day. :D

I don't suppose anyone has a clue what RFC's next project is?

(First post from a long time lurker so apologies for any formatting error's :) :) )
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:01 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Subutai Saul wrote:Has anyone else been trying to work out where 'the captain for Rose snippet' (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8990&start=25) ties in with the end of this sneak peak and cliff hanger. I must admit that the speculation of just who's destroyer it was has some extra point added seeing as its ended up mixed up in this situation. Maybe this could be some early Havenite reinforcements as Manticore couldn't find the ships needed? Or it could be Admiral Kotouč's sole destroyer making some splashy moves to attract attention while his BC and CA's quietly sneak in and out of range

The other question this snippet raises is just what happened to Admiral Hajdu Gyôzô seeing as the destroyer captain is talking to an Admiral Yountz. Has Admiral Kotouč already fought and died meaning this is a late arrival or are they working together, deliberately punching him out first to sow confusion into the chain of command and to try and take Parthian off the table by killing the only people with knowledge of it.

After all faced with instructions like that I'd of thought that the senior officer would want to conceal how low their government was willing to sink in the hope of preserving its reputation with their own forces let alone neutrals. This could mean that the initial decap strike would be worth it even if Kotouč loses his entire force pulling it off as he appears to be contemplating rather seriously.

Either way I'm how even more eager for this book so I'm going to have to arrange my preorder soon so I get it on release day. :D

I don't suppose anyone has a clue what RFC's next project is?

(First post from a long time lurker so apologies for any formatting error's :) :) )

Oooh! Ooooooh! I got a clue! I got a clue!!!

Next project after this one was Through Fiery Trials in the Safehold series for Tor Books. That one is handed in and is in production with a January release date (and I got it to them late, for a lot of reasons).

Since then, I've done a couple of novellas, including one for a Larry Correia anthology on femme fatales, and the final edit on a collaboration (The Gordian Protocol) with Jacob Holowach, which Toni Weisskopff is reading now. Then there's the time I sat talking with Chris Kennedy about a collaborative sequel to Out of the Dark for Tor. I've proposed it to Tor but haven't heard back from them yet, and I'm looking forward to it because there are certain aspects of the original novel which have been subject to in-universe . . . misinterpretation. :twisted:

Eric and I talked at Manticon about the next Victor and Anton novel, and I need to get him the notes on that. My next solo project for Baen will be the sequel to Sword of the South, but there are some other goodies in the works, as well.

To be honest, I am doing more collaborations these days for several reasons. Of course, I've always been more comfortable with collaborations than a lot of writers, which in many respects is due to the Internet. As Eric and I have both pointed out, the Internet makes it possible for people states or even nations apart to collaborate as effectively as people who live in the same house or on the same street used to be able to collaborate. I'm doing more of them of late because my own production rate has slowed. I'm less satisfied with the books that have published in the last couple of years (with some exceptions) than I was with many of the earlier ones. Part of that was because in my mid 60s I can't match the output I could manage in my 40s and still edit as tightly as I really should. So I've decided that instead of writing three quarters of million words a year, I'm going to aim for only half a million. :lol:

This means several things, including the fact that I have to be more realistic about my estimate of how many of the stories rattling around in my brain I'm really going to have time to tell. I ain't no spring chicken anymore (although I am hardly antediluvian), and if my solo output's dropping, then one of the solutions is to go find writers I really like and respect — and with whom I can work comfortably — to help me get them told.

Another factor in all this is that next year, I think in June or July, it will be 30 years since Steve white and I sold our first novel to Baen. It's time for me to start paying a little of it forward, I think. So if I can find someone whose work I really like, and who I also like very much as a person, and the two of us can work together to help grow readership for both of us, then that's something I enjoy doing.

I do have certain hard and fast rules about any collaboration, of course. The biggest one is that I won't do collaborations just to increase output; doing them to get stories I want to tell told when I wouldn't have time to do all those stories solo is not the same thing as simply increasing output. Another rule is that I won't do a collaboration unless I expect both collaborators to bring something to the project; to produce something that would be at least as good as anything either collaborator might do solo; and unless there's something I think I can learn from the process or teach during the process (and I have never worked with a collaborator without learning at least something along the way).

So, I think there is going to be an upsurge in David Weber collaborative novels (and probably an upsurge in short fiction from me) and a steady two-books-a-year production of David Weber solo novels over the next few years and that I am going to get to tell more stories in both my existing literary universes and (hopefully) in the one Jacob and I have created in Gordian Protocol (although, to be fair, we didn't exactly create a universe and that one).

There are a couple of other things that I'm involved in that I haven't mentioned above. But I trust that it's apparent that I am keeping busy despite my advanced age and general decrepitude. :lol:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by jeremyr   » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:37 pm

jeremyr
Lieutenant Commander

runsforcelery wrote:
So, I think there is going to be an upsurge in David Weber collaborative novels (and probably an upsurge in short fiction from me) and a steady two-books-a-year production of David Weber solo novels over the next few years and that I am going to get to tell more stories in both my existing literary universes and (hopefully) in the one Jacob and I have created in Gordian Protocol (although, to be fair, we didn't exactly create a universe and that one).

There are a couple of other things that I'm involved in that I haven't mentioned above. But I trust that it's apparent that I am keeping busy despite my advanced age and general decrepitude. :lol:

Thanks for the update!
Hope this means a multiverse novel is in the works.
Post by kzt   » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:48 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Cool. I was thinking Steve Stirling, and then I realized he's in about the same boat as you. Which is too damn bad as he really seemed to get the Honorverse.

Poking through the collection of short stories that I bothered to extract and stick on my iPad, the other writers who seemed to get it was Jane Lindskold and Linda Evans.

I'll be interested to see who you select to work with.
Post by isaac_newton   » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:12 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Good news on the Sword from the South book.. I'm really enjoying that series!

:lol: :lol:
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:26 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Wait! What? An anthology on femme fatales? You don't say! I mean, do say!

Now if I can just convince myself to at least sneak a peek at the Sneak peek of UH, instead of holding on to my hymen and preserving my virginity until my first real time holding Honor, thus, truly uncompromising Uncompromising Honor. :?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ywing14   » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:23 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I've got the eArc, anyone notice anything unique in the sneak peak?

Return to Snippets