Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:08 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
ywing14 wrote:The reason Bachfisch wasn't rehabilitated is because of how long ago the incident occurred and when the war started. If it had occurred during the war I doubt there would have been serious repercussions. But since it was during peace time it ended things. By the time the conflict with haven starts he's already moved on with his life. His situation is totally different from Andrea.

I find the idea of someone managing to get promoted to admiral without any of the prequisites pretty silly. It’s like putting the guy who has worked at your company the longest, say a manufacturing assistant, in the CFO position because seniority. I’m sure the next shareholder meeting will be interesting.

And a fleet in combat run someone who had never even run a squadron in peace certainly has potential to be really interesting too.

Hey, the other thought is that if you screw up as an LT you’ll be paid for the rest of your life, and I suspect that half full admirals pay is pretty sweet.

I do see a serious problem continuing to accrue such rank far from your previous rank while beached -- where you are potentially accruing the rank without the experience -- then getting off the beach and given the responsibility of a squadron or fleet, based upon your present rank instead of present experience. Not to mention that you may be potentially out of sorts with the tech. However, unlike Honor in FiE, it isn't like the 'fisch hasn't been aboard a ship.

I recall Honor stating reservations regarding her own "sea" worthiness having been sitting on the beach for so long -- far shorter than the total time Bachfish has been beached. Still, RMN stripes for Bachfish!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:36 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Now that I think about it, Bachfisch could have gotten his foot back in the door via the GSN. Especially when Honor was there.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Fox2!   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:31 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

cthia wrote:

I do see a serious problem continuing to accrue such rank far from your previous rank while beached -- where you are potentially accruing the rank without the experience -- then getting off the beach and given the responsibility of a squadron or fleet, based upon your present rank instead of present experience. Not to mention that you may be potentially out of sorts with the tech. However, unlike Honor in FiE, it isn't like the 'fisch hasn't been aboard a ship.

I recall Honor stating reservations regarding her own "sea" worthiness having been sitting on the beach for so long -- far shorter than the total time Bachfish has been beached. Still, RMN stripes for Bachfish!

Since Bachfisch has essentially been acting as a Commodore, make him one and give him a CL squadron. A year later, especially if he has some combat, promote him to Rear Admiral with a CA or CB division, then Vice Admiral and a squadron. A staff tour, then Fleet command. Between five and 10 years from "go", he's functioning as an RMN Admiral.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:04 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

The difficulty with that scenario is that he is already a full admiral...based primarily on seniority.

But still, were he interested, I imagine a way could be devised to get him back in the saddle. And, it is not as though he has gained no experience at all during those years. It is just that its not naval experience.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by kzt   » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:38 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:One of the things not touched on in the books is if they had the equivalent of the 401k's (retirement funds taken while you work and invested for retirement) or anything else.

I have the distinct impression that David doesn't really worry about the economics of the society. Questions like "if the entire military industry consisted of 0.2% of the population of Manticore, and 1% in the military what exactly does the other 98.8% do that makes them so essential you can't put any of them in uniform without collapsing the economy?"
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:44 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:One of the things not touched on in the books is if they had the equivalent of the 401k's (retirement funds taken while you work and invested for retirement) or anything else.

I have the distinct impression that David doesn't really worry about the economics of the society. Questions like "if the entire military industry consisted of 0.2% of the population of Manticore, and 1% in the military what exactly does the other 98.8% do that makes them so essential you can't put any of them in uniform without collapsing the economy?"

This is not even economics. Why would someone go into the navy where they could have a very long life cut short? And what happens to someone who serves half a century?

There are a lot of things never covered (often for good reasons). We know relatively little about the sex lives of the crew on long cruises, for example. And we know that women can live in bunk rooms with mostly men. But is that the norm?

Who knows?

RFC is interested in moving the plots and that's what his audience wants. So there always will be gaps.
Post by munroburton   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:42 am

munroburton
Admiral

n7axw wrote:The difficulty with that scenario is that he is already a full admiral...based primarily on seniority.

But still, were he interested, I imagine a way could be devised to get him back in the saddle. And, it is not as though he has gained no experience at all during those years. It is just that its not naval experience.

Don

-

The man is connected. Honor could probably get him any job in the Grayson Navy and smooth over the 'loaner' process from the RMN end too.

IIRC, textev is that Mercedes Brigham has done essentially the same thing - switching navies for a lower rank - in order to serve as Honor's chief of staff.

Mind you, I don't expect that to happen. Who knows, though.
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:21 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:
n7axw wrote:The difficulty with that scenario is that he is already a full admiral...based primarily on seniority.

Don

-

The man is connected. Honor could probably get him any job in the Grayson Navy and smooth over the 'loaner' process from the RMN end too.

IIRC, textev is that Mercedes Brigham has done essentially the same thing - switching navies for a lower rank - in order to serve as Honor's chief of staff.

Mind you, I don't expect that to happen. Who knows, though.

He is definitely well connected and can surely get his foot back in the door via the GSN if he wanted too. This discussion leads me to believe that his beaching is more "self-imposed" now. Since the High Ridge government itself has been permanently beached against the rocks.

I remember something about still being entitled to wear the uniform but the particulars fail me. It came up with Hamish. I ask because I wonder whether Bachfisch wears his uniform aboard his ship.

Post by Theemile   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:47 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
He is definitely well connected and can surely get his foot back in the door via the GSN if he wanted too. This discussion leads me to believe that his beaching is more "self-imposed" now. Since the High Ridge government itself has been permanently beached against the rocks.

I remember something about still being entitled to wear the uniform but the particulars fail me. It came up with Hamish. I ask because I wonder whether Bachfisch wears his uniform aboard his ship.

This is probably doubly so with the gutting of the Pirate's Bane; another nearly lost ship because of a bad tactical decision of his.

The again, perhaps it will be the kick he needs to get out of the captain's chair. Chances are no one will give him a line command, but that doesn't mean he cannot serve a useful staff position, especially in his area of specialty - Silesia.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:23 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Theemile wrote:
cthia wrote:

This is probably doubly so with the gutting of the Pirate's Bane; another nearly lost ship because of a bad tactical decision of his.

The again, perhaps it will be the kick he needs to get out of the captain's chair. Chances are no one will give him a line command, but that doesn't mean he cannot serve a useful staff position, especially in his area of specialty - Silesia.

If I ever get around to writing that part of the story, you will discover that he has been far from idle.

Further than that, deponent saith not.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.

Return to Honorverse