Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 31 guests

Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?
Post by cthia   » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:38 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

RSVP

Who?:

Why?:

It has blossomed over the years beyond the tightest and mightiest inner circle of OBS.

If you did not begin the series with OBS, then you're attempting complicated surgery without the delicate stitches that bind and hold it all together.

I started with On Basilisk Station. Bought it for $5 at a sidewalk sale. It was the original hardcover edition featuring the "more agressive" rendering of Nimitz. It is also a more compact and more durable book, IMO. In many ways the superior book. That particular book is a super collector's item, IMO...

OBS has an inner circle that was forged in the heat of foreign, domestic, military and political battles. Before the mettle in that kettle was forged, all of the impurities in the mettle were removed.

Beginning the Honorverse without reading OBS first is like already having your cherry popped before your first time. A lot of the intimacy, that drives Victoria's Secret (if Honor's middle name is Victoria) is her intimacy with her crew. That first "OBS inner circle" is the stuff of legends & coffee tables.

-Rafe Cordones (Guns)
    -Andreas Venizelos
    -Prescott Tremaine
    -Alistair McKeon
    -And Fearless herself.

Honor forged that team with her bare hands and the heat from her leveled missile batteries. There are no imperfections in the [metal mettle].

Last edited by cthia on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?
Post by ywing14   » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:43 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Who?

Why?

It has blossomed over the years beyond the tightest and mightiest inner circle of OBS.

If you did not begin the series with OBS, then you're attempting complicated surgery without the delicate stitches that bind and hold it all together.

I started with On Basilisk Station. Bought it for $5 at a sidewalk sale. It was the original hardcover edition featuring the "more agressive" rendering of Nimitz. It is also a more compact and more durable book, IMO. In many ways the superior book. That particular book is a super collector's item, IMO...

OBS has an inner circle that was forged in the heat of foreign, domestic, military and political battles. Before the mettle in that kettle was forged, all of the impurities in the mettle were removed.

Beginning the Honorverse without reading OBS first is like already having your cherry popped before your first time. A lot of the intimacy, that drives Victoria's Secret (if Honor's middle name is Victoria) is her intimacy with her crew. That first "OBS inner circle" is the stuff of legends & coffee tables.

-Rafe Cordones (Guns)
    -Andreas Venizelos
    -Tremaine
    -McKeon
    -And Fearless herself.

Honor forged that team with her bare hands and the heat from her leveled missiles batteries. There are no imperfections in the [metal mettle].

Yeah, it's a shame about the Loss ratio.

Though I think we should have included Brigham.

Add in Alice and Jaruwalski later.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ywing14 wrote:
cthia wrote:Who?

Why?

-Rafe Cordones (Guns)
    -Andreas Venizelos
    -Tremaine
    -McKeon
    -And Fearless herself.

Honor forged that team with her bare hands and the heat from her leveled missiles batteries. There are no imperfections in the [metal mettle].

Yeah, it's a shame about the Loss ratio.

Though I think we should have included Brigham.

Add in Alice and Jaruwalski later.

Of course Brigham is RSVP'd. I knew I was leaving someone out. Thanks.

Although it didn't start out that way, I think someone in the Hauptman household may be on the list.

Ditto 2 Alice and Jaruwalski.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by munroburton   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:38 am

munroburton
Admiral

cthia wrote:That first "OBS inner circle" is the stuff of legends & coffee tables.

-Rafe Cordones (Guns)
    -Andreas Venizelos
    -Prescott Tremaine
    -Alistair McKeon
    -And Fearless herself.

Honor forged that team with her bare hands and the heat from her leveled missile batteries. There are no imperfections in the [metal mettle].

You forgot Dominica Santos, who was arguably the midwife of Honor's inner circle. She helped to fix Honor and Alistair's professional relationship, as well as nudging the crew into following Honor after those disastrous grav lance experiments and the exile to Basilisk. A decent social engineer as well as an excellent chief engineer.

Her death always seemed tragic to me, especially after watching the survivors of that crew progress throughout the series.
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:40 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Amen. I'm obviously due a reread. Just waiting until I get the final episode in my grasp to begin my journey.

Thanks for reminding me of Santos. She really was one of Honor's first converts, wasn't she? Not to mention Santos' surrogate relationship with Fearless. Which began long before Honor set foot aboard. Internally, Santos was probably more peeved with the rape of Fearless to be too vested in bashing the new CO.

I agree, her death really was one of those untimely, hard curve balls thrown early by the author. Can a reader suffer survivors guilt?

Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:42 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Can Michelle Henke always be counted as part of Honor's inner circle? After all, they were very close roomies even before OBS.

Post by George J. Smith   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:25 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Don't forget Fitz Montoya
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:06 am

roseandheather
Admiral

munroburton wrote:
cthia wrote:That first "OBS inner circle" is the stuff of legends & coffee tables.

-Rafe Cordones (Guns)
    -Andreas Venizelos
    -Prescott Tremaine
    -Alistair McKeon
    -And Fearless herself.

You forgot Dominica Santos, who was arguably the midwife of Honor's inner circle. She helped to fix Honor and Alistair's professional relationship, as well as nudging the crew into following Honor after those disastrous grav lance experiments and the exile to Basilisk. A decent social engineer as well as an excellent chief engineer.

Her death always seemed tragic to me, especially after watching the survivors of that crew progress throughout the series.

I'm still holding a grudge against RFC for killing off Dominica Santos.

I mean, I'm holding a grudge against him for a sizable number of things, but that one has a prominent place on the list.

8-)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:08 am

roseandheather
Admiral

cthia wrote:Can Michelle Henke always be counted as part of Honor's inner circle? After all, they were very close roomies even before OBS.

Please. Michelle is on the inner circle of the inner circle. Always has been, always will be.

As for more recent additions, I'd count Thomas Theisman, Queen Elizabeth, and possibly Eloise Pritchart in there, as well.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Dauntless   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:43 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

I started with SVW and it is a credit to RFC that at that stage you could start someplace other the OBS and still not be too lost. something that is lacking once you get much further. certainly from IEH onwards there is way too much back story, to really appreciate all the twists.

Santos was the first person on my list of "did RFC really have to kill them?" and that list has gotten way long.

the only writer who kills off more of his characters is Dan Abnett in his Gaunt's Gosts books, though Glynn Stewart tries and is getting too damn close to RFC for my liking.

Return to Honorverse