Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 87 guests

Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?
Post by cthia   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:27 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

RSVP: Mark Sarnow

I don't know what his rank is these days, but he'll certainly be getting an invite. His hand in the chalet raid to corner Denver Summervale gets him in alone. Without the fact that Harrington looks up to and respects him greatly.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by n7axw   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:23 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:RSVP: Mark Sarnow

I don't know what his rank is these days, but he'll certainly be getting an invite. His hand in the chalet raid to corner Denver Summervale gets him in alone. Without the fact that Harrington looks up to and respects him greatly.

In SVW Mark Sarnow was a rear admiral. Even apart from performance and promotions out of the zone, by this time after better than a decade and a half of war, Sarnow would be a full admiral, most likely of the green. I think that it is unlikely in the extreme that they would have put him in charge in Silesia without that kind of rank.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Nimitz1923PD   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:32 pm

Nimitz1923PD
Commander

n7axw wrote:

In SVW Mark Sarnow was a rear admiral. Even apart from performance and promotions out of the zone, by this time after better than a decade and a half of war, Sarnow would be a full admiral, most likely of the green. I think that it is unlikely in the extreme that they would have put him in charge in Silesia without that kind of rank.

Don

-

Definate Promtion But Red was always considered the Lesser Command in the RMN - I cannot see Sarno promoted to Green until he has left the Silesia Command.

Nimitz
Post by n7axw   » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:03 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Nimitz1923PD wrote:
Definate Promtion But Red was always considered the Lesser Command in the RMN - I cannot see Sarno promoted to Green until he has left the Silesia Command.

Nimitz

I don't recall any textev to establish difference betwwen red and green beyond noting that red designated admirals newer to their rank and green admirals with more seniority. IIRC, Bachfish had risen to the level of an admiral of the green even though he had not actively served in roughly 40 years.

As for Sarnow, the level of responsibility he was handed in Silesia certainly equaled, if not exceeded, any fleet command in the RMN by the time you consider political, diplomatic, and naval aspects of his job. It would be a more than appropriate assignment for a full admiral of the green.

I have wondered why Bachfish couldn't have been slotted in there. Maybe experience level, but there certainly wouldn't have been anyone in the entire RMN who knows Silesia better than Thomas Bachfish.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:30 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

while bachfish might be an excellent advisor on the local space to sarnow his last command in the navy was of only a single ship and while he had a couple of ships after years in silesa it still wasn't more then a half squadron @ best & they were only semi military.

Sarnow, even assuming he didn't do anything else after SVW, which seems unlikey, the war raged for nearly 2 decades before the manties annexed silesa and he was considered one of the best junior admirals before first hancock. so he had more experience as an admiral, even though time in grade had bashfish promoted ahead of him.
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:49 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Dauntless wrote:while bachfish might be an excellent advisor on the local space to sarnow his last command in the navy was of only a single ship and while he had a couple of ships after years in silesa it still wasn't more then a half squadron @ best & they were only semi military.

Sarnow, even assuming he didn't do anything else after SVW, which seems unlikey, the war raged for nearly 2 decades before the manties annexed silesa and he was considered one of the best junior admirals before first hancock. so he had more experience as an admiral, even though time in grade had bashfish promoted ahead of him.

^ That.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by saber964   » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:02 pm

saber964
Admiral

Dauntless wrote:while bachfish might be an excellent advisor on the local space to sarnow his last command in the navy was of only a single ship and while he had a couple of ships after years in silesa it still wasn't more then a half squadron @ best & they were only semi military.

At last we heard. Mark Sarnow is CO 9th Fleet and Governor General of Silesa. Captain Thomas Bachfisch would likely be hired as a consultant on Silesa while he recovers from his injuries which will take upwards of a year or more. He likely has knowledge of were local bodies are buried and a who's who of corrupt local officials.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:34 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

RSVP: Alice Truman

Sealed with a hint of lipstick. Alice is a Salamander's delight all through the series. She is the one person that I would love to see commanding her own squadron. I rated her quite high in the Honorverse Top Ten Tacticians List.

I'm guessing Jaruwalski is on the list to. It's just that the name Jaruwalski leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But let me make it clear, it's not because of anything wrong that she did. The system failed her as bad as it did Honor.

Rehabilitation my ass. Sometimes the politiks, is screwed the hell up.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:50 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:

Don

-

Honor and Mark seem to be awfully close. There always seemed to be a story between the two of them sitting tauntingly at the edges of their relationship. I don't think there were any undertones of intimacy, but rather a fatherly like relationship. Much like Courvoisier. At any rate, I'm pretty sure the author could flesh out an interesting backstory between the two, if he wanted and had the time. Much like the flesh the author delivered on our plates with Honor and Courvoisier.

On the other hand, the relationship could simply be the respect someone like the Salamander felt when she came across another 'Queens Officer.' Tester knows that Queens Officers aren't Queen's Officers simply because they are wearing the uniform.

Post by cthia   » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:02 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Can Thomas Bachfish be pardoned? Why can't he be rehabilitated? It's different across the galaxy with Alfredo and Co., with Haven. But Bachfish's slate should have been cleared by now. He certainly earned it. If what is good for the goose is good for the gander, then what's good for Jaruwalski is good for the 'fish. Heck, Jaruwalski's crime was close to Alfredo's than Bachfish's.

Don, thanks. But you are simply being kind. Thanks for the kindness. But the original list sucks. I wasn't trying to be exhaustive. I knew I was forgetting quite a few. Probably several that I failed to even realize moved within Honor's RSVP sphere.

Return to Honorverse