Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 56 guests

Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:33 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
cthia wrote:Can Michelle Henke always be counted as part of Honor's inner circle? After all, they were very close roomies even before OBS.

Please. Michelle is on the inner circle of the inner circle. Always has been, always will be.

As for more recent additions, I'd count Thomas Theisman, Queen Elizabeth, and possibly Eloise Pritchart in there, as well.

Thanks for untangling that train of thought for me. I pretty much feel the same way you do. In fact, I often wonder how Honor would have ultimately turned out without her keeping the kind of early company that she did.

It is just that I'm none too sure, at least I wasn't until your post, that Michelle should be included in the inner circle formed during OBS. Honor was ruffling a lot of feathers, priming a lot of pumps, fueling a lot of riots and sticking it to the man every where she went and every chance she got. I'm not too sure she would have RSVP'd Michelle early on to sit in on a clandestine, secretive meeting. I rather thought she would have chosen to spare Michelle from the displeasure of her own political fallout. Honor was so wet behind the ears politically and Michelle was still her superior and mentor, politically. I don't seem to recall much correspondence with Michelle during the time. Of course, a reread is in order.

I second the additions. Hell yea, Beth for certain! The pair pretty much became BFFs.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by n7axw   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:07 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

If we are talking about the OBS inner circle, the original list is pretty good, although not quite complete as has been pointed out. Some of the others don't belong on that list because they come later. For example, the queen doesn't meet Honor until toward the end of SVW. But what the later additions remind us of is that the list evolves over time.

I started almost back at the beginning with SVW at the recomendation of a B Daltons manager. I then went back and read OBS and HotQ. Since that point, it has been a matter of rereading and and waiting for whatever was coming next (often with great impatience).

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:27 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:If we are talking about the OBS inner circle, the original list is pretty good, although not quite complete as has been pointed out. Some of the others don't belong on that list because they come later. For example, the queen doesn't meet Honor until toward the end of SVW. But what the later additions remind us of is that the list evolves over time.

I started almost back at the beginning with SVW at the recomendation of a B Daltons manager. I then went back and read OBS and HotQ. Since that point, it has been a matter of rereading and and waiting for whatever was coming next (often with great impatience).

Don

-

Actually I'm interested in The Complete Harrington RSVP List as in what it has ultimately become now. Out of respect - and a sense of grandeur - I only felt compelled to give special mention to that mightiest of indivisible RSVP atoms represented by OBS's inner circle.

For instance, Estelle Matsuko is also RSVP'd.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:42 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:(if Honor's middle name is Victoria)

Too bad Honor's middle name is Stephanie

As for Honor's inner circle:

Hamish Alexander, AKA Earl White Haven, later Hamish Alexander Harrington. He doesn't interact directly in OBS, but he's definitely got her back even that early.

Thomas Bachfish isn't mentioned in OBS, but, like Michelle, he's grandfathered into her inner circle when they meet again in Marsh.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:52 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

Hamish Alexander, AKA Earl White Haven, later Hamish Alexander Harrington. He doesn't interact directly in OBS, but he's definitely got her back even that early.

Thomas Bachfish isn't mentioned in OBS, but, like Michelle, he's grandfathered into her inner circle when they meet again in Marsh.

Oops. That should have read 'was Victoria.'

You beat me to the Bachfish A-lister by one post...

Somewhere, out in the Verge...

RSVP: THOMAS BACHFISH

Post by saber964   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:19 pm

saber964
Admiral

You guys are overlooking someone. Namely Scotties shadow Sir Horace Harkness, you really can't have one without the other? Now can you?

You can also toss in Fritz Montoya too.
Post by ywing14   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:12 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Dauntless wrote:I started with SVW and it is a credit to RFC that at that stage you could start someplace other the OBS and still not be too lost. something that is lacking once you get much further. certainly from IEH onwards there is way too much back story, to really appreciate all the twists.

Santos was the first person on my list of "did RFC really have to kill them?" and that list has gotten way long.

the only writer who kills off more of his characters is Dan Abnett in his Gaunt's Gosts books, though Glynn Stewart tries and is getting too damn close to RFC for my liking.

This is where I started as well.
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:32 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

saber964 wrote:You guys are overlooking someone. Namely Scotties shadow Sir Horace Harkness, you really can't have one without the other? Now can you?

I just figured Harkness was automatically included because Scotty was. 8-)

And yes, Fritz Montoya!!! I love Fritz Montoya. The way he cared for Honor on Cerberus was just.... ugh. I know he's Supremely Busy being, like, a head honcho at Bassingford, but I miss him!!
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
saber964 wrote:You guys are overlooking someone. Namely Scotties shadow Sir Horace Harkness, you really can't have one without the other? Now can you?

I just figured Harkness was automatically included because Scotty was. 8-)

And yes, Fritz Montoya!!! I love Fritz Montoya. The way he cared for Honor on Cerberus was just.... ugh. I know he's Supremely Busy being, like, a head honcho at Bassingford, but I miss him!!

I know someone who won't receive an RSVP. I'd sure like to view Suchon's personnel file.

Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:21 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

Ditto on Hamish's early support of her from behind closed doors. Who was his supporter in crime? Was it James Webster? They toyed with Young 'til my heart's content. I'm probably not alone initially, fearing Young would somehow return, in-time, to ruin things.

RSVP: Lieutenant Samuel Webster

RSVP: Maxwell Stromboli

Samuel Webster won my heart over when he began arranging Honor's mail so that she ended her day with some good news.

Does anyone else from Medusa get RSVP'd besides Estelle Matsuko?

Return to Honorverse