Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests

Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:38 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

S.O.S.

Would someone please refresh my memory as to what happened to Ambuscade, Admiral Bachfisch's other Q-Ship? I don't recall her being destroyed at the Battle of Solon or Lovat.

On that note, whether Bachfisch will ever receive a pardon and a real second chance. Since RFC says he has been far from inactive, will his continued utility to the RMN at least get him rewarded with a fully tricked out Q-Ship, rebuilt with the latest goodies of long ranged missiles and pods? GhostRider?

IOW, a real Q-Ship armed to the teeth, to be of real assistance in battles like Solon and Lovat.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:50 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

cthia wrote:
IOW, a real Q-Ship armed to the teeth, to be of real assistance in battles like Solon and Lovat.

A "Q-Ship", real, complex, imaginary, virtual, or otherwise, has no business in the wall of battle. Or even going up against a real combatant (HMAS Sydney vs. Kormoran considered). Auxiliary Cruisers, whether "taken up from Trade" (e.g., HMS Carmania or HMS Jervis Bay) more heavily converted as HMS Wayfarer, or custom built (PNS Sirius, do not normally have the same combat power as a warship.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
cthia wrote:

A "Q-Ship", real, complex, imaginary, virtual, or otherwise, has no business in the wall of battle. Or even going up against a real combatant (HMAS Sydney vs. Kormoran considered). Auxiliary Cruisers, whether "taken up from Trade" (e.g., HMS Carmania or HMS Jervis Bay) more heavily converted as HMS Wayfarer, or custom built (PNS Sirius, do not normally have the same combat power as a warship.

Yes, indeedly agreed.

Neither should the David Taylor-class FSV's. But tell that to Ginger if the situation ever warrants her to do so, Edward Saganami style. It probably wouldn't and shouldn't be something encouraged - but courage and for the Honor of the Queen, is its own motivation.

It's just that I thought since Baxhfisch is out there anyway, that he should be better armed by the GA, both as a reward for his accomplishments and as an investment in his skills as someone having lots of Q-ship experience.

Matter of fact, besides possible political concerns, I really can't see why he can't be awarded a purpose-built Q-ship with all the bells and whistles, bringing her at least part the way to an FSV. With at least some of its advantages. Being able to hit from way outside an enemy's range, and outrun them too, would be a boon.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:57 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

as far as I remember we know nothing about happened to ambuscade. probably still doing business in manty controlled silesa.

as to a new q-ship command. no reason why not beyond that the RMN generally prefers to rely upon proper warships to defend merchies. it is not explicitly stated but Wayfarer and her 3 sisters were basically a desperation move, the fact that they could also trial some of the new ideas like pod laying and carrying LACS was an added bonus.

the David taylors could be used as the basis of a q-ship as you say, but q-ships are more political even then warships. q-ships CAN be used to protect merchant traffic, often when you are short on proper warships but they are used just as often if not more like the peeps used them, as a wolf in sheeps clothing, pretend to be harmless and then stab someone in the back.

pirates bane technically was just an armed merchie and reseve navy ship, which is NOT quite the same thing as a Q-ship.

Return to Honorverse