Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: markusschaber and 38 guests

Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?
Post by sonex   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:37 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

cthia wrote:RSVP

Who?:

Why?:

It has blossomed over the years beyond the tightest and mightiest inner circle of OBS.

If you did not begin the series with OBS, then you're attempting complicated surgery without the delicate stitches that bind and hold it all together.

I started with On Basilisk Station. Bought it for $5 at a sidewalk sale. It was the original hardcover edition featuring the "more agressive" rendering of Nimitz. It is also a more compact and more durable book, IMO. In many ways the superior book. That particular book is a super collector's item, IMO...

OBS has an inner circle that was forged in the heat of foreign, domestic, military and political battles. Before the mettle in that kettle was forged, all of the impurities in the mettle were removed.

Beginning the Honorverse without reading OBS first is like already having your cherry popped before your first time. A lot of the intimacy, that drives Victoria's Secret (if Honor's middle name is Victoria) is her intimacy with her crew. That first "OBS inner circle" is the stuff of legends & coffee tables.

-Rafe Cordones (Guns)
    -Andreas Venizelos
    -Prescott Tremaine
    -Alistair McKeon
    -And Fearless herself.

Honor forged that team with her bare hands and the heat from her leveled missile batteries. There are no imperfections in the [metal mettle].

What happened to NIMITZ.Shouldn't he be on the list :?: :?: :?:
Honor Harrington and Safehold nut.
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:38 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

On second thought, I'm almost certain it was Craig Warner who assisted in yoyo-ing Young.

I always wondered if Honor is specifically aware of that bit of assistance.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

sonex wrote:
cthia wrote:RSVP

Who?:

Why?:

It has blossomed over the years beyond the tightest and mightiest inner circle of OBS.

If you did not begin the series with OBS, then you're attempting complicated surgery without the delicate stitches that bind and hold it all together.

I started with On Basilisk Station. Bought it for $5 at a sidewalk sale. It was the original hardcover edition featuring the "more agressive" rendering of Nimitz. It is also a more compact and more durable book, IMO. In many ways the superior book. That particular book is a super collector's item, IMO...

OBS has an inner circle that was forged in the heat of foreign, domestic, military and political battles. Before the mettle in that kettle was forged, all of the impurities in the mettle were removed.

Beginning the Honorverse without reading OBS first is like already having your cherry popped before your first time. A lot of the intimacy, that drives Victoria's Secret (if Honor's middle name is Victoria) is her intimacy with her crew. That first "OBS inner circle" is the stuff of legends & coffee tables.

-Rafe Cordones (Guns)
    -Andreas Venizelos
    -Prescott Tremaine
    -Alistair McKeon
    -And Fearless herself.

Honor forged that team with her bare hands and the heat from her leveled missile batteries. There are no imperfections in the [metal mettle].

What happened to NIMITZ.Shouldn't he be on the list :?: :?: :?:

Wouldn't smell right without Stinker. Nice call. Of course, McGuiness has to feed everyone. LOL

Mac is so integral a part of the rsvp list.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The crew of that raped, beat up old aging light cruiser may receive an honorary RSVP? What was the crew complement of HMS Fearless? (CL-56)

What % of them perished?

Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:05 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
saber964 wrote:You guys are overlooking someone. Namely Scotties shadow Sir Horace Harkness, you really can't have one without the other? Now can you?

You can also toss in Fritz Montoya too.

I just figured Harkness was automatically included because Scotty was. 8-)

And yes, Fritz Montoya!!! I love Fritz Montoya. The way he cared for Honor on Cerberus was just.... ugh. I know he's Supremely Busy being, like, a head honcho at Bassingford, but I miss him!!

Wouldn't the universe be a badass if Fritz Montoya crossed paths with Dr. Lois Suchon again, at Bassingford, now that he's head honcho there?

Post by ywing14   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:24 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I'd be shocked if Suchon wasn't bounced out or retired by now.
Post by Senior Chief   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:07 am

Senior Chief
Commander

I think everyone has forgotten Honor's dead guardsman...
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:24 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Senior Chief wrote:I think everyone has forgotten Honor's dead guardsman...

That would be Armsmen, plural. They don['t really show up until FiE (Maybe FoD?)

The list of the inner circle deceased in her service is probably longer than active members of her inner circle.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by saber964   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:24 pm

saber964
Admiral

ywing14 wrote:I'd be shocked if Suchon wasn't bounced out or retired by now.

No, I secretly speculate that Surgeon Commander Lois Suchon was seconded to MARS (Manticore Arctic Research Service) and spent a couple, three years wintering over at Adamson Prescott station at Sphinx's South Pole.
Post by cthia   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:23 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Senior Chief wrote:I think everyone has forgotten Honor's dead guardsman...

That would be Armsmen, plural. They don['t really show up until FiE (Maybe FoD?)

The list of the inner circle deceased in her service is probably longer than active members of her inner circle.

Indeed it is. Isn't it customary to pour the first drink of an alcoholic beverage on the ground for fallen comrades? That would amount to a couple of kegs poured out before they can start drinking.

Return to Honorverse