Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?
Post by cthia   » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:10 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
cthia wrote:
He is definitely well connected and can surely get his foot back in the door via the GSN if he wanted too. This discussion leads me to believe that his beaching is more "self-imposed" now. Since the High Ridge government itself has been permanently beached against the rocks.

I remember something about still being entitled to wear the uniform but the particulars fail me. It came up with Hamish. I ask because I wonder whether Bachfisch wears his uniform aboard his ship.

This is probably doubly so with the gutting of the Pirate's Bane; another nearly lost ship because of a bad tactical decision of his.

The again, perhaps it will be the kick he needs to get out of the captain's chair. Chances are no one will give him a line command, but that doesn't mean he cannot serve a useful staff position, especially in his area of specialty - Silesia.

runsforcelery wrote:If I ever get around to writing that part of the story, you will discover that he has been far from idle.

Further than that, deponent saith not.

We know he's been far from idle, but will he ever get back in a naval saddle? I suppose he could teach at Saganami as well. Or work for the Admiralty as a consultant for Silesia. Wait, I suppose he's already doing that. :?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:41 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

cthia wrote:
I remember something about still being entitled to wear the uniform but the particulars fail me. It came up with Hamish. I ask because I wonder whether Bachfisch wears his uniform aboard his ship.

I would suspect he wears the uniform of a Silesian merchie. To do otherwise would reveal his connections to ONI, and place him, his crews and his ships in greater danger than they are by themselves.

And it would upset the Sillies if they ever learned that there was a Manticoran Admiral operating open-loop in their jurisdiction.
Post by George J. Smith   » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:33 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

cthia wrote:

ISTR when he arrived at Honor's flagship he mused about the Black and Gold he once wore compared to the Merchant's uniform he was wearing. I think Honor also mused about how he would look better in the Black and Gold of Manticore.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
cthia wrote:

ISTR when he arrived at Honor's flagship he mused about the Black and Gold he once wore compared to the Merchant's uniform he was wearing. I think Honor also mused about how he would look better in the Black and Gold of Manticore.

Thanks for the info. I've put it in my queue to reread as I don't seem to have it stored anywhere in my memory banks. The whole meeting between the two of them was so sensitive and sweet to me. And sad. It was really hard to read the regret lingering just below the surface, for the sake of Bachfisch and Honor. It was real. It was touching. It was tender.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:24 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'd just like to interject something here for a moment.

All through the series I kept wondering why Honor never really had any memorable conversations with Prince Justin. Did I miss that some where? I recall thinking — when she was going through so much strife in her life and about to be cast out into the wilderness and exiled on Grayson — that she should go and have a talk with Justin.

"Come on Justin, why isn't the Queen there for me?"

Of course, she was there for her. Beth just had to make some tough calls. I had a hard time putting down resentment of Beth for not finding something to do to head off Honor's exile. But deep down inside I knew her hands were tied and that it was hurting her as much as it was hurting Honor. And that the tough calls she was making putting her Kingdom first above all else, is part and parcel to her integrity, her Soul of Steel, the very makeup that Honor found so worthy of her respect and devotion.

That's when it dawned on me that Honor and Justin never really had any memorable dialogue between them and I find that odd.

Queen Elizabeth III deserves much more applause and acknowledgement than she's gotten. I just never got a good read on Prince Justin and I longed for some tender, at least touching, at least memorable moments between he and Honor. I'll certainly have a fly on the wall APB out for such moments during a massive reread.

End of my party pooping reminiscing.

Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:49 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:I'd just like to interject something here for a moment.

All through the series I kept wondering why Honor never really had any memorable conversations with Prince Justin. Did I miss that some where? I recall thinking — when she was going through so much strife in her life and about to be cast out into the wilderness and exiled on Grayson — that she should go and have a talk with Justin.

Of course, she was there for her. Beth just had to make some tough calls. I had a hard time putting down resentment of Beth for not finding something to do to head off Honor's exile. But deep down inside I knew her hands were tied and that it was hurting her as much as it was hurting Honor. And that the tough calls she was making putting her Kingdom first above all else, is part and parcel to her integrity, her Soul of Steel, the very makeup that Honor found so worthy of her respect and devotion.

That's when it dawned on me that Honor and Justin never really had any memorable dialogue between them and I find that odd.

Queen Elizabeth III deserves much more applause and acknowledgement than she's gotten. I just never got a good read on Prince Justin and I longed for some tender, at least touching, at least memorable moments between he and Honor. I'll certainly have a fly on the wall APB out for such moments during a massive reread.

I think you're overdoing it a bit. First off, we don't know how much Justin is allowed to do. He undoubtedly met her at some point but it might well have been AFTER her exile.

People seemed to only take notice of her in a big way after Basilisk and even then she didn't meet the Queen right off. The queen felt she could not risk support for the war by supporting Honor even when it was clear the Lords were being insanely rebellious.

Chances are, Justin only met her far later in the time line...at least beyond formal occasions. I have the feeling things really changed after Honor came back from Cerberus. That's when she and the Queen really began to meet.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:38 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
cthia wrote:I'd just like to interject something here for a moment.

I think you're overdoing it a bit. First off, we don't know how much Justin is allowed to do. He undoubtedly met her at some point but it might well have been AFTER her exile.

People seemed to only take notice of her in a big way after Basilisk and even then she didn't meet the Queen right off. The queen felt she could not risk support for the war by supporting Honor even when it was clear the Lords were being insanely rebellious.

Chances are, Justin only met her far later in the time line...at least beyond formal occasions. I have the feeling things really changed after Honor came back from Cerberus. That's when she and the Queen really began to meet.

Perhaps. Maybe. If so, blame it on the surplus of surplussed compassion my maker thought it necessary I have.

Beth became very close to Honor. It is hard to imagine that she wouldn't have introduced her to Justin. And it is likewise difficult to imagine that Justin wouldn't have wanted to meet her. Who wouldn't want to meet Harrington, or certainly the Salamander? There are times — like the Grayson exile — when I thought a few words of encouragement from Justin might have been just what Honor needed and would have stood her in good stead. Informal enough to not have come from Beth, whose hands were tied, but significant enough to soothe her demons. That's how I feel anyway.

I knew how much Honor was hurting. Like I've said before on the forum... one of my teachers said "You've got an uncanny ability to be the character. Don't ever lose that."

I could feel Honor's pain. Imagine being someone whose every fiber of your being is altruistic and pure at its core. Honor did right by her Star Kingdom, her Queen, her crew, her upbringing, her family and her friends. Always. She did the right thing regardless of the personal cost to her person or her career. She'd give a limb, an eye, her life, her uniform, her career, to do what is right. And she didn't care what who thought of her while she was doing it, as long as she felt it was the right thing, in the Honor of her Queen and Kingdom.

Yet, when it all went south politically, how so you think she felt being exiled? How would you have felt after all you had done? And then there was Hamish who pounced on her too. It must have felt like the whole phucking world was out to get her -- in defense of, and instead of, that lowlife cretin Pavel Young. She might have known better intellectually. But, being a woman — during that very emotional time — intellectuality ain't got a damn thing to do with it. Honor was a broken mess when she arrived on Grayson. I almost feel as bad for the Graysons having to witness it, having to witness what had befallen her. Someone they loved as much as their own mother.

The RMN could have really lost Harrington during those cold, cruel years. Anyway, I kept wondering what Justin felt about it. I know he simply had to have listened to his wife rant about what was happening to Honor. Beth had a helluva temper. And I know she must have blistered the paint off the walls of the Palace on many occasions. I can't imagine being in Justin's shoes and not shedding a tear. And at least wanting to meet Honor and show his well-earned respect for her, while offering a few words of encouragement. Honor could have used all she could get before departing her beloved Star Kingdom.

And, if Justin had had any kind of relationship with her, perhaps he could have been the better choice to talk her out of putting a bullet in the much deserved head of Pavel Young's.

No, I don't think he would have had a chance either. But still.

Last edited by cthia on Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by SharkHunter   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:55 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Additions to the list not mentioned yet: The two officers from Hawkwing and the raid on Casimir, plus the Grayson contingent: Benjamin & Michael Mayhew, probably their wives, and a Clinksdale or two. Brent Matthews and Judah Yanakov. Alfredo Yu for certain.

Matsuko would be another add, as would Cathy Montaigne... which probably brings in the Rogue of the Spaceways and maybe even Black Victor. More fun if Thandi Palane and Honor ever agree to a bit of a sparring match, though alas, Honor being a mommy and all... ;)
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by cthia   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:19 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:Additions to the list not mentioned yet: The two officers from Hawkwing and the raid on Casimir, plus the Grayson contingent: Benjamin & Michael Mayhew, probably their wives, and a Clinksdale or two. Brent Matthews and Judah Yanakov. Alfredo Yu for certain.

Matsuko would be another add, as would Cathy Montaigne... which probably brings in the Rogue of the Spaceways and maybe even Black Victor. More fun if Thandi Palane and Honor ever agree to a bit of a sparring match, though alas, Honor being a mommy and all... ;)

Your notables are notable. I can't remember which, but didn't Honor agree to adopt a family on Grayson? Some vow she said that seals the two family's fates? Which you just know may come up again. Anyhow, anyone remember the family?

It's funny if you consider that this event would probably be held on Grayson. And the entire Protector's Own would be invited.

Don't know if it's prudent to invite Cathy. She'd just be going around stirring up hornets in the nest. Next thing you know, the Protector's Own is speeding away from the planet. LOL

As far as the sparring match of centuries, it may not be advisable on Thandi's behalf. Oh, she'd kick Honor's butt of course. It's just that she'd send Harrington's heiny flying so many times that it'd piss Honor off. Then she'd undo the restrictions on her bionic arm, then... BAM! LOL

Post by George J. Smith   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:41 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

cthia wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:Additions to the list not mentioned yet: The two officers from Hawkwing and the raid on Casimir, plus the Grayson contingent: Benjamin & Michael Mayhew, probably their wives, and a Clinksdale or two. Brent Matthews and Judah Yanakov. Alfredo Yu for certain.

Your notables are notable. I can't remember which, but didn't Honor agree to adopt a family on Grayson? Some vow she said that seals the two family's fates? Which you just know may come up again. Anyhow, anyone remember the family?

It's funny if you consider that this event would probably be held on Grayson. And the entire Protector's Own would be invited.

Don't know if it's prudent to invite Cathy. She'd just be going around stirring up hornets in the nest. Next thing you know, the Protector's Own is speeding away from the planet. LOL

As far as the sparring match of centuries, it may not be advisable on Thandi's behalf. Oh, she'd kick Honor's butt of course. It's just that she'd send Harrington's heiny flying so many times that it'd piss Honor off. Then she'd undo the restrictions on her bionic arm, then... BAM! LOL

It was the Clinksdale family
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah

Return to Honorverse