Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Why no Detweiler regular kids?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Why no Detweiler regular kids?
Post by Nimitz1923PD   » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:49 pm

Nimitz1923PD
Commander

Annachie wrote:Nimitz.
Never ever conflate pro-choice with pro-abortion.

And never with forced abortion, which is part of what eugenics is about.

As for Albrecht. I'm not sure but was there mention of daughters somewhere. Or was that just in these forums.

Have You asked the baby what choice it would make?

Nimitz
Post by jchilds   » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:22 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

The rumour mill has it that they had two daughters as well, Rose and Heather Detweiller, who do all the MAlign's matchmaking... :twisted:
Post by George J. Smith   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:10 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

ldwechsler wrote:Reading Uncompromising Honor it is clear that the seven Det kids were clones of their dad.
Any ideas?

JohnRoth wrote:Minor nit: there are only six of them: Benjamin, Colin, Daniel, Everett, Franklin and Gerevais.

Weird Harold wrote:The seventh is Herman, but he's a hermit so we don['t hear about him. :lol:

I thought it was Homer and they didn't talk about him. :roll:
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:19 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:I thought it was Homer and they didn't talk about him. :roll:

Might have been Horatio, but he was culled for always blowing his own horn. :D
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:26 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:I thought it was Homer and they didn't talk about him. :roll:

Might have been Horatio, but he was culled for always blowing his own horn. :D

:lol:

Yet it was Hauptman all along.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Keith_w   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:03 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

Will you guys just go to H!
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by n7axw   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:45 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Keith_w wrote:Will you guys just go to H!

My, my, that sounds a bit drastic...are you along for the ride? :D

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:21 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

ldwechsler wrote:Reading Uncompromising Honor it is clear that the seven Det kids were clones of their dad.(Interestingly, right now clones are just about all female).

But it also says that Albrecht and Evalina were carefully genetically matched. What would the purpose be for that if the kids were all clones?

I wonder if there are not other kids, ones with genes from mama out there.

They would be an interesting counterpoint to the clones.

Any ideas?

Albrecht and Evalina were "matched" genetically partly to be sure each of them had the right mix of abilities to parent the kids properly. They have produced other children in addition to the boys, however, but while those other children are highly prized by the MA, they were not raised by their genetic parents. The boys were being brought up for a very specific role in the plan, and it was decided early on that all of the boys would be told what was happening very early on and groomed for their eventual positions from the beginning. That implied a very . . . unusual childhood, and Albecht and Evalina opted not to subject their "other children" to the same strains and pressures. The boys all have children of their own, and they did not produce another Albrecht clone for their children's generations. Or, at least, they have not done so yet.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:05 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:Reading Uncompromising Honor it is clear that the seven Det kids were clones of their dad.(Interestingly, right now clones are just about all female).

But it also says that Albrecht and Evalina were carefully genetically matched. What would the purpose be for that if the kids were all clones?

Any ideas?

Albrecht and Evalina were "matched" genetically partly to be sure each of them had the right mix of abilities to parent the kids properly. They have produced other children in addition to the boys, however, but while those other children are highly prized by the MA, they were not raised by their genetic parents. The boys were being brought up for a very specific role in the plan, and it was decided early on that all of the boys would be told what was happening very early on and groomed for their eventual positions from the beginning. That implied a very . . . unusual childhood, and Albecht and Evalina opted not to subject their "other children" to the same strains and pressures. The boys all have children of their own, and they did not produce another Albrecht clone for their children's generations. Or, at least, they have not done so yet.

Seems my original thinking was correct, as far as this specific thread is concerned...
cthia wrote:At times I thought the "compatibility" extended into the emotional and intellectual arena. Thus the fact they were genetically compatible meant that they thought alike.

It simply seems intuitive that genetics may affect compatibility. Certainly the MA's flavor of over the top genetics. By the same token, certain personalities springing from certain modifications may strangle each other. Seems intuitive, though I could easily have been wrong on this accord. As wrong as I am regarding the nonexistence of other kids. Are the kids aware of each other?

I wouldn't be surprised if Mother nature, who frequently fools around with Murphy, would have it that one of the "regular" kids will be more brilliant. They would still be Alphas.

I wish this info would have been available during the Detweiler & Sons thread. Oh my! The psychological ramifications broached in that thread alone is mindboggling!

Remember our talk about the MA's downfall possibly coming from the friction generated amongst egos in this direly dysfunctional family coming from within the dysfunctional offspring?

Freud is spinning is his grave having missed this family!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:21 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Any ideas?

Albrecht and Evelina were paired genetically for more than one reason.

The folks managing the Detweiler Plan wanted to be sure that genetically, at least, they should have the necessary compatible abilities and talents to raise the boys "properly." In addition, however, both Albrecht and Evelina were highly valued for their own genotypes.

They do have genetic children; they simply didn't raise them "at home." That, frankly, was a decision made in the children's best interests.

"The boys" were never going to have a normal upbringing. They were raised from the beginning to understand who they were, what the Detweiler Plan was, and what their role in it would probably be, and that meant their childhoods contained a lot of stresses that other childhoods wouldn't. In addition, they were raised by parents who officially did not exist, which created additional problems in the form of isolation from the world in general until they were old enough to enter under "cover identities." That means they didn't really have a "childhood" in the normal sense, and Albrecht and Evelina refused to subject kids to that kind of early childhood when they didn't have to. That doesn't mean they didn't love the boys and that the boys didn't love them, but it does mean that there is an entire Albrecht & Evelina genetic strand buried in the "legitimate" Alignment on Mesa. Whether or not we ever see those people doing anything is another question, of course.

As for the boys, none of them have children who are clones of themselves and/or Albrecht. Or, at least, not yet. Of course, each of them is good for at least another two or three centuries, so from their perspective, there's no big rush.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.

Return to Honorverse