Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests

[Spolier] impact of new compensator and Hyper on Merchies

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [Spolier] impact of new compensator and Hyper on Merchie
Post by drothgery   » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:03 am

drothgery
Admiral

kzt wrote:Military hyperdrives are OLD technology. Like 400 years old. They are still not used by merchants.

Not exactly. I'm pretty sure Manticore Ascendant-era military hyperdrives were not as good as main series era civilian hyperdrives even ignoring the streak drive.
Post by Nimitz1923PD   » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:25 am

Nimitz1923PD
Commander

drothgery wrote:
kzt wrote:Military hyperdrives are OLD technology. Like 400 years old. They are still not used by merchants.

Not exactly. I'm pretty sure Manticore Ascendant-era military hyperdrives were not as good as main series era civilian hyperdrives even ignoring the streak drive.

Why is it a proven Technology is considered "OLD"?

NASA went to the Moon with 32 KB memory, B/W text only screen & No
Mouse -

I doubt anyone under 40 could brew coffee with that today

Nimitz
Post by n7axw   » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:36 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

It's not so much that proven tech gets old as it gets superceded. The thing that comes to mind for me is the difference between carburators and fuel injection. Wouldn't really want to go back to carbs.

As for hyper drives, compensators and so on, you only have to look at the difference between the acel numbers in the Travis Long era and Honor's to see the same sort of thing happening.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Honorverse