Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

Where did RFC get the name Harrington?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Where did RFC get the name Harrington?
Post by PeterZ   » Mon May 21, 2018 11:39 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I don't believe so. Rereading it and the prior posts left me scratching my head. Not a clue why I posted here.
Post by jchilds   » Tue May 22, 2018 2:17 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

Wasn't there a post by RFC about something to do with some private joke about the relative positions of Harrington and some other place a while back?
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue May 22, 2018 9:13 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

jchilds wrote:Wasn't there a post by RFC about something to do with some private joke about the relative positions of Harrington and some other place a while back?

As a quick guess, the name Honor came first and basically it was then a matter of picking an H name that went well with it.
Post by sonex   » Tue May 22, 2018 12:02 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

ywing14 wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Just how bad a hit will those transstellars take? The Core worlds using the Protectorate exports will still need those exports. The newly freed Protectorates still need the revenue. The only factor removed from this is OFS. Sure, there are Transtellars that have hosed their Protectorates to completely poison that well. There are others like Chetobor that can find an acceptable compromise. Of course, there will be many shades in between. What can't change much is the supply of resources available and the demand for those resources.

Transstellars represent a MASSIVE market for Protectorate exports. Protectorate production represents a MASSIVE supply. No matter how badly their prior relationships went, there will be enough unattached partners willing/needing to deal that within 1-2 years new relationships and networks will have been worked out. In the mean time, anyone with free cub age and access to capital/credit, a sterling reputation in the Protectorates and very visible naval protection can pretty much buy resources from Protectorates and ship it to needy Core worlds. Who do we know that fits that bill?

Yup. The RMMM will be buying from ex-Protectorates to ship to desperate Core world transstellars through the RMN controlled WHJs. Those transstellars that have treated their fiefdoms best will not see much of a cash flow change. They pay a slightly higher cost of materials and simply shift the OFS fees to the local government. Their balance sheet will take serious damage, but their cashflows will be about the same. The more avaricious transstellars will suffer in direct relation to how voraciously they managed their relationships with their fiefdoms. Those on the really bad end of the spectrum will have to beg for RMMM skippers to ship in cargo since no Protectorates will offer them a deal even close to reseanable. The Manties will show up with warships to .....keep the peace.

Bottom line is that there will be a natural reward to benefit the better behaved transstellars and punish the poorest behaved, but the materials they need will still flow. My guess then is that cash flows may vary between 5%-30% with a massive hit to the balance heels and incomes due to one time charges. I doubt ANY transstellars will show a positive income, but on average they will still show positive cashflows.

Peterz you put this in the right one?

Ditto! :ugeek:
Honor Harrington and Safehold nut.
Post by cthia   » Tue May 22, 2018 12:44 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
jchilds wrote:Wasn't there a post by RFC about something to do with some private joke about the relative positions of Harrington and some other place a while back?

As a quick guess, the name Honor came first and basically it was then a matter of picking an H name that went well with it.

She has been nothing at all if not honorable. Honor definitely fits.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Wed May 23, 2018 1:35 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

There is a small town named "Harrington" in Cumbria, a county in England (main city is Carlisle). It happens to be several miles north of a city called "Whitehaven", see (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrington,_Cumbria) and (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitehaven).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Dauntless   » Thu May 24, 2018 9:08 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

I know Whitehaven fairly well as I was born at its hospital and grew up 20 minutes away.

never hard of a town called harrington, and i didn't find the books until a couple years after I left that area so I probably would have missed the connections anyway.

still very interesting to this former crumbrian.
Post by dscott8   » Thu May 24, 2018 9:56 pm

dscott8
Commodore

Dauntless wrote:I know Whitehaven fairly well as I was born at its hospital and grew up 20 minutes away.

never hard of a town called harrington, and i didn't find the books until a couple years after I left that area so I probably would have missed the connections anyway.

The town of Harrington has a train station, at least three pubs, and is about 10 miles west-southwest of Cockermouth.
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat May 26, 2018 8:50 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

dscott8 wrote:
Dauntless wrote:I know Whitehaven fairly well as I was born at its hospital and grew up 20 minutes away.

The town of Harrington has a train station, at least three pubs, and is about 10 miles west-southwest of Cockermouth.

Interesting. But irrelevant.

Return to Honorverse