Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 94 guests

Where did RFC get the name Harrington?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Where did RFC get the name Harrington?
Post by sonex   » Fri May 18, 2018 7:49 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

Just wondering where RFC got the name Harrington.

The source of the name itself comes from old England in the late 1500's.

The founder was Osulf of Flemingby in Cumberland, England in the late 1100’s. He was Celtic or Norse or Saxon. He probably came from Normandy.

The surname became Harington, then Harrington, and they spread from the village of Harrington which is located on the NW coast of England close to the border with Scotland. Solway Firth (bay) is just to the north.

Harrington’s spread out gaining lands and titles throughout Northern England, and formed into two clans. During the War of the Roses, they were on opposite sides.

By the late 1500’s, a Sir John Harrington was married to one of King Henry VIII’s bastard daughters, and thus became a brother-in-law to Queen Elizabeth.

Two generations later, another John was born in 1575 who married Ann Clinton and they and their children emigrated to Boston, America on the ship Prosperous owned by Sir Henry Fines. The ships group was Puritans.

From Boston, the prodigy spread all over New England, thence all over America.

I'm proud to be a member.
Honor Harrington and Safehold nut.
Re: Where did RFC get the name Harrington?
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat May 19, 2018 3:10 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

sonex wrote:Just wondering where RFC got the name Harrington.

He probably threw a dart at a phone-book and where ever the dart point penetrated to was the name he chose.

:lol:
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Daryl   » Sat May 19, 2018 7:16 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Horatio Hornblower.
Post by dscott8   » Sat May 19, 2018 10:12 am

dscott8
Commodore

Little known fact: David Weber's cell phone, when called, plays the theme tune from a hippie musical.

It's a "Hair" ring tone.
Post by cthia   » Sun May 20, 2018 9:08 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The more poignant question would be why the name Honor Harrington.

The author could have come across the name from many different sources. The reason he settled on the name after it jumped out at him should be the question. "What's in a name?" Plenty.

What a painter chooses to name a painting matters. The title of a book matters. An architectural wonder can only bear one name. Names matter. The alliteration encountered in Honor Harrington is meaningful. It is not simply the same alliteration encountered in Horario Hornblower.

Our heroine could not have been simply named... Becky Buchanan, which is of similar alliteration that rolls off the tongue as well. But it doesn't fit the person. It doesn't become her. This is why only the author can aptly name a masterpiece. An author is the he, or she, who is the most intimate with the subject that a certain name simply speaks to him.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet." —Shakespeare

Why, because a rose is inherently a rose. It names itself. Honor Harrington chose her own name. The author was simply susceptibly in tune.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by feyhunde   » Sun May 20, 2018 3:53 pm

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

Daryl wrote:Horatio Hornblower.

I mean that's just silly, a book series about a naval commander during a war with an expansionist/revolutionary power, lead by a Committee of Public Safety, is totally different...
Post by Nimitz1923PD   » Sun May 20, 2018 5:30 pm

Nimitz1923PD
Commander

feyhunde wrote:

I mean that's just silly, a book series about a naval commander during a war with an expansionist/revolutionary power, lead by a Committee of Public Safety, is totally different...

I agree it could be worse.. Like a silly little baby shot into space from a planet called "Krypton" or an alien on a Star-Ship called "Enterprise-1701"

Nimit
Post by saber964   » Mon May 21, 2018 6:10 pm

saber964
Admiral

Nimitz1923PD wrote:[uote="feyhunde"]

I agree it could be worse.. Like a silly little baby shot into space from a planet called "Krypton" or an alien on a Star-Ship called "Enterprise-1701"

Nimit[/quote]

Or a orphaned rich kid breaking heads twenty five years later dressed as a bat.
Post by PeterZ   » Mon May 21, 2018 7:16 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Just how bad a hit will those transstellars take? The Core worlds using the Protectorate exports will still need those exports. The newly freed Protectorates still need the revenue. The only factor removed from this is OFS. Sure, there are Transtellars that have hosed their Protectorates to completely poison that well. There are others like Chetobor that can find an acceptable compromise. Of course, there will be many shades in between. What can't change much is the supply of resources available and the demand for those resources.

Transstellars represent a MASSIVE market for Protectorate exports. Protectorate production represents a MASSIVE supply. No matter how badly their prior relationships went, there will be enough unattached partners willing/needing to deal that within 1-2 years new relationships and networks will have been worked out. In the mean time, anyone with free cub age and access to capital/credit, a sterling reputation in the Protectorates and very visible naval protection can pretty much buy resources from Protectorates and ship it to needy Core worlds. Who do we know that fits that bill?

Yup. The RMMM will be buying from ex-Protectorates to ship to desperate Core world transstellars through the RMN controlled WHJs. Those transstellars that have treated their fiefdoms best will not see much of a cash flow change. They pay a slightly higher cost of materials and simply shift the OFS fees to the local government. Their balance sheet will take serious damage, but their cashflows will be about the same. The more avaricious transstellars will suffer in direct relation to how voraciously they managed their relationships with their fiefdoms. Those on the really bad end of the spectrum will have to beg for RMMM skippers to ship in cargo since no Protectorates will offer them a deal even close to reseanable. The Manties will show up with warships to .....keep the peace.

Bottom line is that there will be a natural reward to benefit the better behaved transstellars and punish the poorest behaved, but the materials they need will still flow. My guess then is that cash flows may vary between 5%-30% with a massive hit to the balance heels and incomes due to one time charges. I doubt ANY transstellars will show a positive income, but on average they will still show positive cashflows.
Post by ywing14   » Mon May 21, 2018 11:23 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

PeterZ wrote:Just how bad a hit will those transstellars take? The Core worlds using the Protectorate exports will still need those exports. The newly freed Protectorates still need the revenue. The only factor removed from this is OFS. Sure, there are Transtellars that have hosed their Protectorates to completely poison that well. There are others like Chetobor that can find an acceptable compromise. Of course, there will be many shades in between. What can't change much is the supply of resources available and the demand for those resources.

Transstellars represent a MASSIVE market for Protectorate exports. Protectorate production represents a MASSIVE supply. No matter how badly their prior relationships went, there will be enough unattached partners willing/needing to deal that within 1-2 years new relationships and networks will have been worked out. In the mean time, anyone with free cub age and access to capital/credit, a sterling reputation in the Protectorates and very visible naval protection can pretty much buy resources from Protectorates and ship it to needy Core worlds. Who do we know that fits that bill?

Yup. The RMMM will be buying from ex-Protectorates to ship to desperate Core world transstellars through the RMN controlled WHJs. Those transstellars that have treated their fiefdoms best will not see much of a cash flow change. They pay a slightly higher cost of materials and simply shift the OFS fees to the local government. Their balance sheet will take serious damage, but their cashflows will be about the same. The more avaricious transstellars will suffer in direct relation to how voraciously they managed their relationships with their fiefdoms. Those on the really bad end of the spectrum will have to beg for RMMM skippers to ship in cargo since no Protectorates will offer them a deal even close to reseanable. The Manties will show up with warships to .....keep the peace.

Bottom line is that there will be a natural reward to benefit the better behaved transstellars and punish the poorest behaved, but the materials they need will still flow. My guess then is that cash flows may vary between 5%-30% with a massive hit to the balance heels and incomes due to one time charges. I doubt ANY transstellars will show a positive income, but on average they will still show positive cashflows.

Peterz you put this in the right one?

Return to Honorverse