Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

For fun: Upscaling... the LAC cores...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: For fun: Upscaling... the LAC cores...
Post by Joat42   » Mon May 07, 2018 10:12 am

Joat42
Admiral

pappilon wrote:
Joat42 wrote:I was thinking you could probably make a special version of the LAC used by the repair ships to provide emergency power to crippled ships until they can be towed into dock. Remove the weapons and missile stowage and add engineering extras instead.

Dunno if it's practically and economically feasible compared to the standard engineering tugs available.

Tugs are mission designed for that, LACs are designed for combat. Not sure they have the structural integrity to tow a whale into dry dock. But with a shortage of tugs in an emergency situation, all logic is nullified.

My thought was that they would be used as an engineering fast response or even SAR to crippled ships, not towing. But as I said, the practicality is questionable.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by pappilon   » Mon May 07, 2018 6:27 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Joat42 wrote: My thought was that they would be used as an engineering fast response or even SAR to crippled ships, not towing. But as I said, the practicality is questionable.

Yes, weren't they used after Filareta's Fiasco to find pods? Seems to me they were used in several instances for at least finding pods. Not sure how one could dock to another ship for SAR. Then again not sure one could not.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by pnakasone   » Wed May 09, 2018 1:05 pm

pnakasone
Captain of the List

pappilon wrote:
Joat42 wrote: My thought was that they would be used as an engineering fast response or even SAR to crippled ships, not towing. But as I said, the practicality is questionable.

Yes, weren't they used after Filareta's Fiasco to find pods? Seems to me they were used in several instances for at least finding pods. Not sure how one could dock to another ship for SAR. Then again not sure one could not.

A standard docking collar design probably has long been established.
Post by pappilon   » Wed May 09, 2018 2:48 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

pnakasone wrote:
pappilon wrote:]

A standard docking collar design probably has long been established.

Well, yes, there is all the text evidence for that.. for real hyper capable ships. Are LACs even large enough to have one? They don't dock to their carriers, they enter the docking bay like pinnaces.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by pnakasone   » Wed May 09, 2018 5:02 pm

pnakasone
Captain of the List

pappilon wrote:
pnakasone wrote:A standard docking collar design probably has long been established.

Well, yes, there is all the text evidence for that.. for real hyper capable ships. Are LACs even large enough to have one? They don't dock to their carriers, they enter the docking bay like pinnaces.

A Shrike class lac is 72 x 20 x 20 meters. So I would say you could fit a standard docking collar on that if not more then one. Any competent designer would account for a LACs having to dock to places or ships that would/may not have a such a bay available.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:29 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:Well, yes, there is all the text evidence for that.. for real hyper capable ships. Are LACs even large enough to have one? They don't dock to their carriers, they enter the docking bay like pinnaces.
Not exactly. Docking bays are usually on the underside of warships, and pinnaces get grappled from above as they enter the bay. A CLAC's LAC bays are on its broadsides and the LACs dock nose in and presumably the primary docking restraints are also at the nose. There is some kind of pressurized personnel access through the nose.

We also know that shuttles and pinnaces can connect to external hatches on a startship's exterior hull - they don't have to use the docking bay. (Useful for search and rescue work). Any standard docking ring that can fit on a pinnace could easily fit on a LAC (or on an extendable docking tube that a LAC could extend). So I'd be a little surprised if a LAC wasn't capable of making a temporary pressurized connection with a ship's exterior hatch. It might not be able to do so while anybody was under acceleration, but if both ships are coasting...

Return to Honorverse