Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 148 guests

SPOILER end of the MA

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: SPOILER end of the MA
Post by ywing14   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:06 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Annachie wrote:As I said earlier, or rather to expand on it.

The question that a system is going to ask is what is the SEM using, specifically in the Talbot Cluster and Silesia.
Or the republic of Haven.

The next question is how threatening to they want to appear to their neighbours.

How wide spread are their out of hyper limit facilities.

Finally, how worried are they going to be about being attacked.

For many systems, LAC's supported by missile pods will be enough. Maybe a destroyer or three and a fleet transport converted to LAC tender.
Hell, probably all then can afford.

Manty or Haven export LAC's, though not SOTA ones.

I think system security would be number one on every planets' mind. If you're worried about territorial integrity I personally don't think LACs are the way to go. I'm not sure where they're going to get missile pods. If it is still a secret I'd think the GA would want to keep fission piles on LACs a secret if possible.
Post by Annachie   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:32 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Pods aren't that much of a secret. At least not system defence pods. Technodyne had them at Monica for example. (I think it was Monica)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by drothgery   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:42 am

drothgery
Admiral

Annachie wrote:Pods aren't that much of a secret. At least not system defence pods. Technodyne had them at Monica for example. (I think it was Monica)

FWIW, every time we've seen Cataphract-Cs used, they were launched from pods. And since I'm pretty sure the design for Cataphracts is widely available in the league "now", I'd be surprised if the design for the pods for the capital missile-based version aren't too.
Post by ywing14   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:19 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

drothgery wrote:
Annachie wrote:Pods aren't that much of a secret. At least not system defence pods. Technodyne had them at Monica for example. (I think it was Monica)

FWIW, every time we've seen Cataphract-Cs used, they were launched from pods. And since I'm pretty sure the design for Cataphracts is widely available in the league "now", I'd be surprised if the design for the pods for the capital missile-based version aren't too.

I agree, they aren’t a secret, but I’m just not sure where they are going to physically get them from or purchase them from. Most of the pods the SLN had were ironically enough routed through Mesa initially. Sure people can manufacture them I’m just not sure how long it’ll take especially in the verge to obtain them.
Post by Dauntless   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:36 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

pods were considered old when they first appeared back in SVW.

the SKM just took an old idea and tweeked it a bit.

anyone with semi decent industy can probably build them and fill them with single drive missiles.

the tricky part is creating the baffle for true DDM/MDMs

or build your own cataphract knock off, bolting missiles together is fairly straight forward, they are just very big and the warheads are underpowered compared the GAs. it only took technodyne so long because all they really got was vague reports, maybe some senor data from rouge state sec units and they were holding them back so they could be a surprise.

if rozack hadn't intervened at Torch then Honor might have had a VERY rude shock when Filatera came to visit.
Post by kzt   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:21 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:or build your own cataphract knock off, bolting missiles together is fairly straight forward, they are just very big and the warheads are underpowered compared the GAs. it only took technodyne so long because all they really got was vague reports, maybe some senor data from rouge state sec units and they were holding them back so they could be a surprise.

if rozack hadn't intervened at Torch then Honor might have had a VERY rude shock when Filatera came to visit.

Shaped nuclear weapons are another ancient weapons tech in the honorverse. Gigaton scale sidewall burner missiles were used prior to to the laser head.
Post by Dauntless   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:58 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

an excellent point. it is the fitting of the laser rods that reduces the warhead size on the cataphract.

you probably need even more missiles if you plan to actually hit with contact nukes, as point defence will have extra time to shoot them down but in theory it would be one way fix the relatively low output of a cataphract.
Post by Annachie   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:21 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Oh build a better missile than the cataphract.

Just pointing out that the idea is out there.

PRH tech MDM's in a system defence pod would make great pods, not show SOTA tech, and could easily be a great export industry for the Talbot cluster for example.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by ywing14   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:35 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Annachie wrote:Oh build a better missile than the cataphract.

PRH tech MDM's in a system defence pod would make great pods, not show SOTA tech, and could easily be a great export industry for the Talbot cluster for example.

I agree with you, I could see the PRH sell it's old tech since it's now getting all the brand new SEM gear. Though I mostly think it'll get sold outside of Talbot since they are part of the SEM they'll get the top level goodies. I'd also restrict some of the Talbot folks who didn't join, especially New Tuscany give there involvement with the Malign, from anything remotely modern.
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:56 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

ywing14 wrote:
Annachie wrote:Oh build a better missile than the cataphract.

I agree with you, I could see the PRH sell it's old tech since it's now getting all the brand new SEM gear. Though I mostly think it'll get sold outside of Talbot since they are part of the SEM they'll get the top level goodies. I'd also restrict some of the Talbot folks who didn't join, especially New Tuscany give there involvement with the Malign, from anything remotely modern.

The old RoH tech can be licensed to Talbot for them to build for export. There will be more than a few star systems that can't build their own ships right away. Letting Silesia and Talbot build export models using ......less sophisticated RoH technology is a wise choice for Eloise and Tom to make.

Return to Honorverse