Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 69 guests

UH SPOILERS Harrington family history

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: UH SPOILERS Harrington family history
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:15 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Rajani Isa wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:And I don't know how heavily the Meyerdahl B's attracted treecats. Yes, Honor was adopted but none of her family members until her kids were adopted as far as we know.

And a lot of other people were adopted who did not have the Meyerdahl set. And if it was people with just the A line genes, MAlign could have simply sent a lot of them to "study" in Sphynx.

O.o "None of her family"?

They mention several times that the Harringtons, as a line/clain, have been adopted more than any other on Sphinx over the years. Yes, she's the only one CURRENTLY adopted, but her ancestress was the first, also.

And yes plenty without the Myerdahl mods have been adopted, it's just been noted that the mods seem to make it more likely.

Also, a number of Myerdahlians moved to Sphinx when the Harringtons did.

With the Harringtons, I meant in the current day. You would think her father would be adopted. And there are loads of cousins and none seem to have been adopted.

And Meyerdahl was sort of a backdrop for Sphynx. Most it's designed for living in a plus gravity environment, which Sphynix is, to a small degree.

There is a lot more to be figured out about reasons for adoption and I would guess some of the steps will come from the treecats.

Now I want someone to be adopted by a hexapuma! Can you imagine a Marine scout who could work with one of those?

As for beautiful blondes, has anyone ever thought of THAT as a superpower?
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:25 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Slneezy wrote:
cthia wrote:
True, however, Detweiler's insanity didn't commence until post Beowulf Code. That was the wild hair lodged up his bum that set him loose. I always imagined (with a grain of salt) that Detweiler built on the successes/failures that led to the Final Wars.

Improving on failures and righting mistakes. Seemingly righting mistakes. Allegedly righting mistakes. It's easy to do when your research is unrestricted and unregulated, whilst able to flush total failures down the drain while culling unacceptable near-failures.

Well, that's when the lion's share of his insanity began, anyway.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Detweiler as insane.

Sure the whole Alignment super-conspiracy plan is a tad crazy. However there's some decent points about pursuing science unrestricted - look at how innovative the Alignment is for example.

To take another case: is Honor's success primarily related to having some Alpha genes in the mix? Probably not. Did it help? Oh, yes it did. She'd be dead a dozen of times over if she didn't have superior reflexes and strength for example.

Not everything Detweiler did was good - but it is pretty hard to dispute that he had some very valid points.

Absolutely correct. They are insane and sociopathic psychopaths. This conversation will probably manifest itself fifty-leven more times. And I won't budge.

It takes a truly unique and specific type of mindset to adopt the wholesale slaughter of babies all for "the betterment of mankind." If you accept the wholesale slaughter of babies, you are not the one to seek the lofty goal of "the betterment of mankind." Because you've already failed before you begin.

"Unrestricted" is a Trojan horse carrying insanity.

It seems enough time has passed to excuse Hitler's own pursuit of "the betterment of mankind."

That idiot was certainly insane. Probably infected with acute syphilis.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:33 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Slneezy wrote:
cthia wrote:
True, however, Detweiler's insanity didn't commence until post Beowulf Code. That was the wild hair lodged up his bum that set him loose. I always imagined (with a grain of salt) that Detweiler built on the successes/failures that led to the Final Wars.

Improving on failures and righting mistakes. Seemingly righting mistakes. Allegedly righting mistakes. It's easy to do when your research is unrestricted and unregulated, whilst able to flush total failures down the drain while culling unacceptable near-failures.

Well, that's when the lion's share of his insanity began, anyway.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Detweiler as insane.

Sure the whole Alignment super-conspiracy plan is a tad crazy. However there's some decent points about pursuing science unrestricted - look at how innovative the Alignment is for example.

To take another case: is Honor's success primarily related to having some Alpha genes in the mix? Probably not. Did it help? Oh, yes it did. She'd be dead a dozen of times over if she didn't have superior reflexes and strength for example.

Not everything Detweiler did was good - but it is pretty hard to dispute that he had some very valid points.
Joat42 wrote:I think RFC touched upon this, the Detweilers and the top echelons of the MAlign isn't crazy, it's just that they live in an echo chamber and that tends to decouple peoples reasoning from the real world and it only can get worse as time passes.

As someone pointed out a long time ago, if Detweiler instead tried to sway people to their idea of enhancing humanity with a long running PR-campaign they would have won several hundred years ago and the Honorverse would be a very different place.

Isn't that pretty much what insanity is? Decoupled reasoning? :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:50 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Rajani Isa wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:And I don't know how heavily the Meyerdahl B's attracted treecats. Yes, Honor was adopted but none of her family members until her kids were adopted as far as we know.

And a lot of other people were adopted who did not have the Meyerdahl set. And if it was people with just the A line genes, MAlign could have simply sent a lot of them to "study" in Sphynx.

O.o "None of her family"?

They mention several times that the Harringtons, as a line/clain, have been adopted more than any other on Sphinx over the years. Yes, she's the only one CURRENTLY adopted, but her ancestress was the first, also.

And yes plenty without the Myerdahl mods have been adopted, it's just been noted that the mods seem to make it more likely.

Also, a number of Myerdahlians moved to Sphinx when the Harringtons did.
ldwechsler wrote:With the Harringtons, I meant in the current day. You would think her father would be adopted. And there are loads of cousins and none seem to have been adopted.

And Meyerdahl was sort of a backdrop for Sphynx. Most it's designed for living in a plus gravity environment, which Sphynix is, to a small degree.

There is a lot more to be figured out about reasons for adoption and I would guess some of the steps will come from the treecats.

Now I want someone to be adopted by a hexapuma! Can you imagine a Marine scout who could work with one of those?

As for beautiful blondes, has anyone ever thought of THAT as a superpower?
Of course... all women! Who, at one point or another have, or will, buy blonde out of a bottle. And the men who've lost their empire or their wallet to them. LOL

SEE: Helen of Troy

Some people are natural introverts. They will never get married. They don't like long term relationships. Human nature is like a box of chocolates. You don't always like the gooey crap in the middle.

Some, like Alfred, are quite possibly too driven by their own agenda that is too focused and specific to be saddled with a bonding. Bonding is very much like a marriage. Do you think all humans like marriage? I would imagine that treecats would be able to taste that lack of affinity.

I can see Alfred's affinity for bonding going either way.

The bonding process can't discount what the two-leg wants, or the entire process is nothing short of brain washing...

SEE:

Post by pappilon   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:24 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
Of course... all women! Who, at one point or another have, or will, buy blonde out of a bottle. And the men who've lost their empire or their wallet to them. LOL

SEE: Helen of Troy

For me, the blue eyed natural blond now gone all silver like Babs Bush, its red heads with green eyes. Bonus points for 5-0 ->5-2 & curvy.

Some people are natural introverts. They will never get married. They don't like long term relationships. Human nature is like a box of chocolates. You don't always like the gooey crap in the middle.

That is just downright insulting, Those who prefer to go home to a good book after a hard day at work (introvert) instead of hitting the bar with their 50 closest friends (extrovert) have As much ability to be married to one woman for 23 years until she died as the rest of you.

Some, like Alfred, are quite possibly too driven by their own agenda that is too focused and specific to be saddled with a bonding. Bonding is very much like a marriage. Do you think all humans like marriage? I would imagine that treecats would be able to taste that lack of affinity.

I can see Alfred's affinity for bonding going either way.

The bonding process can't discount what the two-leg wants, or the entire process is nothing short of brain washing...

SEE:

But with Alfred's soul bond with Allison, that would be a ... unique bond with a treecat. Sort of And Treecat Makes Three.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Dauntless   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:32 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

it is pretty much spelled out during the story of honors adoption.

before leaving for the marines nimitz considered adopting him but decided alfred wasn't ready. then again when he returned to sphinx after the events on Clemtis? (where he won his osterman cross and commission) he needed time for his mind glow to heal.

finally when his mind had healed he returned but had now bonded with alison. their bond being so tight that there was no room for a cat.

now all of this is 50 years old info (we learn all of this just hours before mimitz adopts honor, also of great interest, as while he had toyed with the idea of adopting a two-leg and one of death fang's bane clan in particular he actually had no plans to adopt a two-leg prior to the events that led to him adopting Honor) and after recent events things might have changed. after all for a long time hamish wasn't seen as bond partner material by the cats, until events made samantha reconsider
Post by Joat42   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:36 pm

Joat42
Admiral

cthia wrote:..snip..

Not necessarily. And from the Detweilers viewpoint what they are doing is entirely rational and for the greater good.

But as the saying goes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

@pappilon,

True. I believe Weird Harold pointed that out. Allison is Alfred's Alley cat. Brilliant! There's simply no room for another cat. He can hardly handle the Alley he has. LOL

Aside:

I'm glad you brought that up. It reminds me of an amusing notion I never got around to broaching. But first, a bit of groundwork...

One of my friends rang me from California some time ago. He acquired a very popular and quite expensive breed of cat for his wife at my recommendation. Since then, he says that he can hardly get any affection from her because she's always petting than damned cat. I always wondered whether some bonding cases garner jealousy. Honor and Nimitz share an exclusive closeness and a unique intimacy. I doubt that Hamish feels any jealousy, or would, even if he wasn't bonded himself. But all humans aren't playing with the same deck. If a spouse is already feeling neglected, I'd imagine a bonding could cause a rip along the fault line. Or cause the fault line itself.

I simply don't see Alfred or even Victor as someone who would want to bond. But then, I wouldn't have thought Harahap would be too keen on it either. So what do I know.

I don't consider someone who prefers a book to a nightclub as an introvert. Just smart.

As I've dated quite a few beautiful blondes, I prefer brunettes and redheads. There's nothing like a hot redhead. Only problem with redheads, besides their temper, is they seem to only come in two flavors. Drop dead gorgeous, or not. They're like strawberry shortcake. I like strawberry shortcake with strawberries, sweet juices and whipped cream. :rolling eyes:

Last edited by cthia on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by pappilon   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:57 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Joat42 wrote:Not necessarily. And from the Detweilers viewpoint what they are doing is entirely rational and for the greater good.

Insanity is a legal concept, not a medical one. Mental illness like Megalomania is a medical concept.

Legally, insanity is mental illness so severe that a person cannot distinguish right from wrong. Killing someone's adopted child because the traits you wish her to express bring on certain unwanted side effects is wrong. Killing hundreds of thousands of people to cover the evacuation of hundreds, is ... extremely questionable.

One could also argue that sitting by knowing that Coventry Gardens would be bombed and doing nothing, or dropping atomic bombs on a couple of Japanese cities are equally acts of insanity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:

Joat42 wrote:Not necessarily. And from the Detweilers viewpoint what they are doing is entirely rational and for the greater good.

Insanity is a legal concept, not a medical one. Mental illness like Megalomania is a medical concept.

Legally, insanity is mental illness so severe that a person cannot distinguish right from wrong. Killing someone's adopted child because the traits you wish her to express bring on certain unwanted side effects is wrong. Killing hundreds of thousands of people to cover the evacuation of hundreds, is ... extremely questionable.

One could also argue that sitting by knowing that Coventry Gardens would be bombed and doing nothing, or dropping atomic bombs on a couple of Japanese cities are equally acts of insanity.

That's what many people miss. The Detweilers have changed the paradigm quite a bit. Because of their genetic tampering, their insanity could be of the medical kind. As well as spiritual, for those so inclined to understand that notion.

Unfair about the Japanese bombings. War itself is insane. If one must partake, then take. The will to survive is God given. When the options are kill or be killed, the choice is clear.

Insanity is going gently into that good night, going down without a fight, in the rage and dying of the light.

What the Detweilers are doing is totally unnecessary for their survival. They have no governors installed. The ends does not always justify the means. Centuries hanging on to hatred is the mark of schoolyard insanity. Beowulf licked his ice cream centuries ago and he's still livid.

Return to Honorverse