Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests

UH SPOILERS Harrington family history

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
UH SPOILERS Harrington family history
Post by ErrantVenture   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:36 pm

ErrantVenture
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

In UH the Detweilers express frustration over HH's actions because "she should have been theirs". They subsequently imply that the Harrington clan were an Alpha line that was "abandoned" but has now fully developed. It's implied that HH's extraordinary abilities are the product of the abandoned alpha line finally coming to fruition.

Was this new information? We always knew that the Harringtons had the Meyerdahl mods, but I don't remember any implication before that they were products of a Mesan Alpha line. Did I just miss something in one of the spin-off series? Would love some more detail on this subject.
Re: UH SPOILERS Harrington family history
Post by Theemile   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:47 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ErrantVenture wrote:In UH the Detweilers express frustration over HH's actions because "she should have been theirs". They subsequently imply that the Harrington clan were an Alpha line that was "abandoned" but has now fully developed. It's implied that HH's extraordinary abilities are the product of the abandoned alpha line finally coming to fruition.

Was this new information? We always knew that the Harringtons had the Meyerdahl mods, but I don't remember any implication before that they were products of a Mesan Alpha line. Did I just miss something in one of the spin-off series? Would love some more detail on this subject.

It's all new data, never mentioned before.

I guess the Harringtons were given the mods along with the Meyerdahl mods, but when became disconnected from the Onion at some point before Stephanie's family went to Sphinx. Maybe some of the official Mayherdahl mods WERE MAlign mods.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Peregrinator   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:12 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

IIRC, the text mentions that the Meyerdahl mods were subsequently incorporated into the Mesan alpha lines:

He made himself stop and draw a deep mental breath. The Harrington genome wasn’t the only Alpha line the Alignment had lost over the T-centuries. Perhaps it wouldn’t have been…mislaid if Richard and Marjorie Harrington hadn’t migrated from Meyerdahl to the Star Kingdom all those T-years ago, but it still could have happened. [...snip...] And so the Harrington genome had simply been written off, although some of its characteristics—the Meyerdahl mods had been an extraordinarily potent starting point—had been incorporated into other alphas. Even the Detweiler genome had profited from it, in fact. But no one had ever imagined the role the Harrington line would play in hampering the Alignment’s operations.
Post by Peregrinator   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:13 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

I think what we really need are some rogue treecats who buy into the Detweiler plan and who find alpha-line minds "tasty"
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:29 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

ErrantVenture wrote:Was this new information? We always knew that the Harringtons had the Meyerdahl mods, but I don't remember any implication before that they were products of a Mesan Alpha line. Did I just miss something in one of the spin-off series? Would love some more detail on this subject.

That assertion is new info.

I think the Detweilers were wrong in one important aspect:

We've been told the Meyerdahl Beta mods are gene-locked and dominant. If that is true, pretty much any alpha-line characteristics should have been crowded out by the locked Meyerdahl Beta package.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Peregrinator   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

Weird Harold wrote:We've been told the Meyerdahl Beta mods are gene-locked and dominant. If that is true, pretty much any alpha-line characteristics should have been crowded out by the locked Meyerdahl Beta package.

If those alpha-line characteristics were on the same genes, yes. If not then no. And given that Mesan geneticists are among the best in the galaxy, they could certainly have figured out how to incorporate the best of the Meyerdahl mods without affecting their own alpha-line mods -- at least after a couple of centuries of experimentation.
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:50 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Peregrinator wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:We've been told the Meyerdahl Beta mods are gene-locked and dominant. If that is true, pretty much any alpha-line characteristics should have been crowded out by the locked Meyerdahl Beta package.

If those alpha-line characteristics were on the same genes, yes. If not then no. And given that Mesan geneticists are among the best in the galaxy, they could certainly have figured out how to incorporate the best of the Meyerdahl mods without affecting their own alpha-line mods -- at least after a couple of centuries of experimentation.

I would think that the Harrington mods are on this side of the Beowulfan "Do not cross" road. Any further research beyond that point most probably would have been altered by the Malign, including unlocking the mods. Akin to unlocking an electronic device (iPhone) before tampering is possible.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Peregrinator   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:05 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

cthia wrote:I would think that the Harrington mods are on this side of the Beowulfan "Do not cross" road.

But existing mods are always on the "right" side of that road.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:09 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:If those alpha-line characteristics were on the same genes, yes. If not then no. And given that Mesan geneticists are among the best in the galaxy, they could certainly have figured out how to incorporate the best of the Meyerdahl mods without affecting their own alpha-line mods -- at least after a couple of centuries of experimentation.

I would think that the Harrington mods are on this side of the Beowulfan "Do not cross" road. Any further research beyond that point most probably would have been altered by the Malign, including unlocking the mods. Akin to unlocking an electronic device (iPhone) before tampering is possible.

Don't forget, the Beowulf code was created POST Earth's Final War. A lot of genetic experimenting was done prior to that point, in the open, and placed into the populace, which would now be considered Verboten.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse