Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Sigs and 9 guests

UH SPOILERS Harrington family history

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: UH SPOILERS Harrington family history
Post by Brigade XO   » Wed May 16, 2018 11:18 pm

Brigade XO
Admiral

By this time, the leadership and much of the upper classes of the Alignment are Alpha or other Star Lines.
There is that Board that makes the decisions on what your children will be....doesn't sound like there is much left to chance in the breeding of the Star Lines you are GIVEN children who may be mostly of your DNA ---or not- depending on the decisions.

It is a highly structured cast system right down to the majority of the population of Darius who are Slaves that don't know they are Slaves. They are as trained and molded/conditioned that way as any of the most basic of the Manpower work genetic slaves.

Beside, having mods and being able to do things doesn't always translate to actual progress or action. Brains help- working ones.
Post by cthia   » Sun May 20, 2018 9:17 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:SNIP
Divergence from the Beowulf Code had to start sometime, and hiding preferential mods in the mass modifications for living on Mesa seems like a likely place.

SNIP--took out my own comment ;)
Also, there wasn't a Beowulf code until after the Final War; the Soon-to-be-Sollies may have banned a lot of existing procedures in their pursuit of "normal" and "unmodified".

cthia wrote:And of course, our very own Honor has the intelligence mod.

I find it interesting that the side effects of the intelligence mods are still a point of contention. Indicating that the MA itself hasn't been successful at correcting that unfortunate side effect. Yet, I seem to be at a disadvantage trying to share my notion that they probably aren't as successful, as they'd like to be, at correcting the psychopathy and such, either.

Dunno why you'd have any trouble getting the thought across, it's a theme represented all along by Bardesano, and in another way, Francesca. *

cthia wrote:Within the human body is balance between mind, body, spirit and soul. You can't simply upset the balance and not expect problems.

Too much brains and not enough matter makes you dangerous.

The Malign motto.

Regards,

Rob
Pardon my bold to call attention.

* Yea? Well, see this thread. I've since attributed the insanity to the wacky weed stolen from the Stilties and smuggled off planet.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun May 20, 2018 5:20 pm

ldwechsler
Commodore

cthia wrote:[
Weird Harold wrote:SNIP
Divergence from the Beowulf Code had to start sometime, and hiding preferential mods in the mass modifications for living on Mesa seems like a likely place.

has the intelligence mod.

I find it interesting that the side effects of the intelligence mods are still a point of contention. Indicating that the MA itself hasn't been successful at correcting that unfortunate side effect. Yet, I seem to be at a disadvantage trying to share my notion that they probably aren't as successful, as they'd like to be, at correcting the psychopathy and such, either.

Dunno why you'd have any trouble getting the thought across, it's a theme represented all along by Bardesano, and in another way, Francesca. *

[
Too much brains and not enough matter makes you dangerous.

Let's get to the real point. Until the Beowulf Code, we ASSUME there was no other code...we don't really know. Chances are there was something. Bureaucrats in some places even write regulations for how we wipe our butts.

After the Code, it did exist. The problem is that science is always changing. A lot of things were done within the code that the originators never dreamed of. Aside from some of the more extreme things we saw from Manpower, where animal genes were added (mostly for cosmetic purposes), we haven't seen much that would be forbidden.

Note: Remember when Roe v. Wade was promulgated 40 some years ago, the science more or less assumed that babies born before the end of the sixth month wouldn't make it. That helped make it simple to put the six month element in (I would also bet it made it nice and simple to divide the gestation period into three equal sections with different instructions on each). Without dealing with moral issues, science now gets a lot of babies through born rather earlier and that is causing some issues.

What would happen over hundreds of years in societies that push scientific and technological growth?

Chances are, MAlign could claim (if people don't know about their ships) to be more or less mainline.

Return to Honorverse