Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

Dark Fall revision snippet #2

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Dark Fall revision snippet #2
Post by kzt   » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:15 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:●II●

SNIP
The Octagon
City of Nouveau Paris
Haven System
People’s Republic of Haven
December, 1882 PD

“You’re kidding me, right?” Vice Admiral Amos Parnell said.

“I wish I was.” Admiral Adelaide Laforge grimaced sourly. “Unfortunately, Rousseau ‘s serious, and Harris has signed off on it.” She shrugged. “End of story.”

should I remember Rousseau from else in the main series?
sounds sort of familiar

Parnell was the head of the Navy by the time of SVW, so not sure. Pretty much everyone and their relatives connected to the Harris government died.
Post by derKaroliner   » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:25 pm

derKaroliner
Midshipman

isaac_newton wrote:Parnell was the head of the Navy by the time of SVW, so not sure. Pretty much everyone and their relatives connected to the Harris government died.

Reading anything about the pre-coup Havenites always feels like reading about the accomplishments of the pre-revolutionary French aristocrats. Sure, it's okay for now...
Post by isaac_newton   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:27 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

derKaroliner wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:Parnell was the head of the Navy by the time of SVW, so not sure. Pretty much everyone and their relatives connected to the Harris government died.

Reading anything about the pre-coup Havenites always feels like reading about the accomplishments of the pre-revolutionary French aristocrats. Sure, it's okay for now...

I rather liked seeing 'Clouseau' there - do you think he might end up as Inspector Clouseau?? :-)
Post by munroburton   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:48 pm

munroburton
Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:●II●

SNIP
The Octagon
City of Nouveau Paris
Haven System
People’s Republic of Haven
December, 1882 PD

“You’re kidding me, right?” Vice Admiral Amos Parnell said.

“I wish I was.” Admiral Adelaide Laforge grimaced sourly. “Unfortunately, Rousseau ‘s serious, and Harris has signed off on it.” She shrugged. “End of story.”

sounds sort of familiar

There was a PNS Rousseau. I thought it was the flagship of Capital Fleet, but it appears to have been Esther McQueen's flagship during the Leveler uprising.
Post by CmdrAthenaAprilist   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:21 pm

CmdrAthenaAprilist
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Theemile wrote:
CmdrAthenaAprilist wrote:(bolding mine) OK, it's never been mentioned in the text, but do you need a hyper generator to use a wormhole? It's supposedly a grave wave on steroids, and you need Warshawski Sails to use them, and you only run into grav waves in hyper, true? Seems to me you have to be in hyper or use a hyper generator at the moment of transit, which is even described as being like crossing the hyper wall.

It's been posted over on the Pearls site, you need a hypergenerator and a working set of sails to use a wormhole.

I'll have to go take a look then; at first glance though with 24 pages of Pearls, it'll take me awhile!
Post by isaac_newton   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:05 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

munroburton wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:
SNIP quote

sounds sort of familiar

There was a PNS Rousseau. I thought it was the flagship of Capital Fleet, but it appears to have been Esther McQueen's flagship during the Leveler uprising.

Interesting - I'm guessing its the same one, tho thats probably a stretch!
Post by Vince   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:41 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

CmdrAthenaAprilist wrote:(bolding mine) OK, it's never been mentioned in the text, but do you need a hyper generator to use a wormhole? It's supposedly a grave wave on steroids, and you need Warshawski Sails to use them, and you only run into grav waves in hyper, true? Seems to me you have to be in hyper or use a hyper generator at the moment of transit, which is even described as being like crossing the hyper wall.
Theemile wrote:It's been posted over on the Pearls site, you need a hypergenerator and a working set of sails to use a wormhole.
CmdrAthenaAprilist wrote:I'll have to go take a look then; at first glance though with 24 pages of Pearls, it'll take me awhile!

Actually it is in text. Chapter 9 of Honor Among Enemies gives the most detailed description of a wormhole transit in the entire Honorverse series, including the use of the hyper generator.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by kzt   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:29 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:

Interesting - I'm guessing its the same one, tho thats probably a stretch![/quote]
It’s also the name of a very famous philosopher.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Jacques_Rousseau
Post by isaac_newton   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:32 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:
isaac_newton wrote:

Interesting - I'm guessing its the same one, tho thats probably a stretch!

It’s also the name of a very famous philosopher.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Jacques_Rousseau[/quote]

True, True. On that note, Thoreau is also in the philosophical direction...
Post by Theemile   » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:40 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:It’s also the name of a very famous philosopher.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Jacques_Rousseau

Rousseau's 1762 CE treatise, "Emile or On Education" is considered the first modern work discussing the education of the common man, equating his capability to that of a young nobleman, when given the chance (Moore and Bacon's contemporary works on education only spoke of educating noblemen). It is often called "The Slow-match of the French Revolution" and was used as the ideal when creating the post revolutionary educational system.

And by no coincidence, it's the inspiration of my screen name.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse