Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: markusschaber and 34 guests

To e-arc or not to e-arc

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: To e-arc or not to e-arc
Post by SharkHunter   » Thu May 03, 2018 1:31 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Just a quick note -- the eARC -- is an "advanced reader's copy". There are a couple of authors that I read where I am an advanced reader (hardcopy). In general, having advanced readers outside the editorial chain represents a last gasp "more eyes the better" review look before a final print run.

What folks don't understand is that once you submit a work for copyright and the accompanying ISBN number, it locks the text. That's why the ship sizes remain wrong in the older HH novels after what is called the "Great Resizing" -- to change the text and reprint incurs another set of problems.

In contrast, ARCs and eARCs aren't locked yet, plus in the case of DW, etc. -- yep, we get to pay the author for their work, and assist in fine tuning with feedback. The bonus is we get to be "in the know" way before everyone else.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Gun Boat Diplomacy   » Thu May 03, 2018 1:36 pm

Gun Boat Diplomacy
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I have been trying to read Uncompromising Honor e-arc today and keep getting a 404 message that it is not there. anyone else having that problem?
Post by pappilon   » Thu May 03, 2018 4:05 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Gun Boat Diplomacy wrote:I have been trying to read Uncompromising Honor e-arc today and keep getting a 404 message that it is not there. anyone else having that problem?

I had to go to the original download and "unzip it" then open each chapter manually from the downloads page on my laptop. Wasn't until my second reading that it started working properly. Of course, I'm not the teccie, there's probably more and easier fixes than the poke and prod method I employed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by cthia   » Fri May 04, 2018 6:52 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
Gun Boat Diplomacy wrote:I have been trying to read Uncompromising Honor e-arc today and keep getting a 404 message that it is not there. anyone else having that problem?

I had to go to the original download and "unzip it" then open each chapter manually from the downloads page on my laptop. Wasn't until my second reading that it started working properly. Of course, I'm not the teccie, there's probably more and easier fixes than the poke and prod method I employed.

Makes sense to me. It is called an advanced reader's copy. You have to be an advanced reader, apparently technically advanced, to read it.

You were warned. LOL

The book is always user friendly. It just works.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri May 04, 2018 7:15 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:Just a quick note -- the eARC -- is an "advanced reader's copy". There are a couple of authors that I read where I am an advanced reader (hardcopy). In general, having advanced readers outside the editorial chain represents a last gasp "more eyes the better" review look before a final print run.

What folks don't understand is that once you submit a work for copyright and the accompanying ISBN number, it locks the text. That's why the ship sizes remain wrong in the older HH novels after what is called the "Great Resizing" -- to change the text and reprint incurs another set of problems.

In contrast, ARCs and eARCs aren't locked yet, plus in the case of DW, etc. -- yep, we get to pay the author for their work, and assist in fine tuning with feedback. The bonus is we get to be "in the know" way before everyone else.

I can understand that. To each his own.

I don't like watching the rehearsals of Broadway plays, movies or tv shows. I want to see the final product w/o it first being tainted. In school, I didn't like seeing the rehearsals of the drama club, making the final production a rerun of sorts. I want to be a complete virgin when cracking the book open for the first time, as the art of reading intended. I don't want to lie to myself or my date and tell her its my first time. I want the first time to be special. My hymen isn't for sale.

Again, to each his own.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Peregrinator   » Fri May 04, 2018 8:01 am

Peregrinator
Commander

SharkHunter wrote:What folks don't understand is that once you submit a work for copyright and the accompanying ISBN number, it locks the text.

Only a "substantial" change to the work requires a new ISBN, minor changes do not. Minor changes also do not affect a book's copyright protection - those minor changes become part of the original work.

Return to Honorverse