Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 41 guests

[Spoilers] The Missing scene?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [Spoilers] The Missing scene?
Post by kzt   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:45 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

And no, the MA blew up 3 residential facilities and the SLN blew up one out of 11 facilities of one out of many manufactures on Beowulf.

There is no major impact to Beowulf or the GA program.
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:50 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
PeterZ wrote:To Don's point, there is huge potential for industrial capacity geared to supplying military hardware to the Protectorates. Chachalot comes to mind. They lost their industrial infrastructure but not their trained personnel. The same is true for the other independent star nations Buccaneer rolled through. Those systems are likely going to be eager to join the GA.

Sure, if Manticore wants to offer no-cost protection to a thousand systems I'm sure they would take it. All they need to do is to quintuple the size of the RMN, and raise taxes massively.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Accepting 6 heavily industrialized Core worlds hardly is a stretch for the GA. The rest can arm themselves and create their own defense alliances, if joining the GA is impractical.
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:52 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:And no, the MA blew up 3 residential facilities and the SLN blew up one out of 11 facilities of one out of many manufactures on Beowulf.

As I recall the missile dabblers were on Beowulf Alpha, that's why Buccaneer targeted Alpha. When the MAlign nuked the station, everything went. Including the missile fab bets.
Post by kzt   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:03 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
kzt wrote:And no, the MA blew up 3 residential facilities and the SLN blew up one out of 11 facilities of one out of many manufactures on Beowulf.

As I recall the missile dabblers were on Beowulf Alpha, that's why Buccaneer targeted Alpha. When the MAlign nuked the station, everything went. Including the missile fab bets.

I think you need to reread that section.
Post by pappilon   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:46 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:As I recall the missile dabblers were on Beowulf Alpha, that's why Buccaneer targeted Alpha. When the MAlign nuked the station, everything went. Including the missile fab bets.

kzt wrote:I think you need to reread that section.

The three habitats that were hit contained either absolutely no manufacturing or only consumer manufacturing. The main political reason for the MAlign attack was pure terrorism direted directly against the civilian population.

The unintended consequence was the almost complete decapitation of the GA defense ministers. That attack mirrored the destruction of the orbital on New Tuscany which triggered the whole mess in the first place.
The Buccaneer attack actually hit 2 units. One was destroyed with 5000 lives lost the other was superficially damaged IIRC. The destroyed one was a nanotech farm which would cause two months delays.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:31 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:As I recall the missile dabblers were on Beowulf Alpha, that's why Buccaneer targeted Alpha. When the MAlign nuked the station, everything went. Including the missile fab bets.

kzt wrote:I think you need to reread that section.
pappilon wrote:
The three habitats that were hit contained either absolutely no manufacturing or only consumer manufacturing. The main political reason for the MAlign attack was pure terrorism direted directly against the civilian population.

The unintended consequence was the almost complete decapitation of the GA defense ministers. That attack mirrored the destruction of the orbital on New Tuscany which triggered the whole mess in the first place.
The Buccaneer attack actually hit 2 units. One was destroyed with 5000 lives lost the other was superficially damaged IIRC. The destroyed one was a nanotech farm which would cause two months delays.

The missiles fabbers owned by Ivaldi of Beowulf were attached to Beowulf Alfa on modules. Those modules separated the fabbers from the residnetial sections, but were built as part of Beowulf Alpha. The nuclear strikes destroyed the entire habitat. What was left of the Ivaldi fabbers is unknown. Assuming enough damage was done to delay production indefinitely seems prudent.

The pertinent parts of the infodump happened as Hamish accompanied Jacques on Anachronism.
Post by kzt   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:38 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:The missiles fabbers owned by Ivaldi of Beowulf were attached to Beowulf Alfa on modules. Those modules separated the fabbers from the residnetial sections, but were built as part of Beowulf Alpha. The nuclear strikes destroyed the entire habitat. What was left of the Ivaldi fabbers is unknown. Assuming enough damage was done to delay production indefinitely seems prudent.

The pertinent parts of the infodump happened as Hamish accompanied Jacques on Anachronism.

???

That's just wrong.
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:52 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
PeterZ wrote:The missiles fabbers owned by Ivaldi of Beowulf were attached to Beowulf Alfa on modules. Those modules separated the fabbers from the residnetial sections, but were built as part of Beowulf Alpha. The nuclear strikes destroyed the entire habitat. What was left of the Ivaldi fabbers is unknown. Assuming enough damage was done to delay production indefinitely seems prudent.

???

That's just wrong.

I took you advice and reread. I suggest you do as well.
Post by BrightSoul   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:32 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:

???

That's just wrong.

PeterZ wrote:I took you advice and reread. I suggest you do as well.

the Production lines were distributed among Ivaldi's three Alviss platforms. I can see where you might interpret the next sentence to imply they are are part of Alpha but it is specific about what was on Alpha. Home to 23 million people, Adriene Warshawski University and close to 200 other civilian research facilities. Production lines aren't research facilities.
Post by n7axw   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:37 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
PeterZ wrote:To Don's point, there is huge potential for industrial capacity geared to supplying military hardware to the Protectorates. Chachalot comes to mind. They lost their industrial infrastructure but not their trained personnel. The same is true for the other independent star nations Buccaneer rolled through. Those systems are likely going to be eager to join the GA.

Sure, if Manticore wants to offer no-cost protection to a thousand systems I'm sure they would take it. All they need to do is to quintuple the size of the RMN, and raise taxes massively.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Kzt, nobody suggested this. While the GA could provide free defensive arrangements for systems of strategic importance, my thought had more to do with selling military hardware, and offering help to systems trying to get their own defensive arrangements off the ground. This could be done hand in glove with improving educational systems and encouraging private sector investments for advancing industrialization.

Rather than implementing the above as a universal policy, it could be done on a selective basis in accordance with the interests of the GA and weighted in favor of systems willing to go to work on their own improvement. Grayson and Marsh might be good examples of such systems.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Honorverse