Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 37 guests

Spoiler!!... Mycroft and UH

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Spoiler!!... Mycroft and UH
Post by pappilon   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:36 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Peregrinator wrote:
Of course, but unless I have read things wrong, the MAlign's Silver Bullet seems to be able to detect the grav pulses that allow those sensors to communicate with one another.

Even the SLN can detect the grav wave pulses from Ghost Rider. Neither side can make sense of the pulses but the gravitic detectors can, indeed hear/feel/whatever them.

IIRC it was Honor flickering her wedge to communicate with some Andie ship, oh way back when, that gave Horrible Hemphill the idea in the first place.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by kzt   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:24 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Peregrinator wrote:Of course, but unless I have read things wrong, the MAlign's Silver Bullet seems to be able to detect the grav pulses that allow those sensors to communicate with one another.

Everyone in the honorverse can see those. So I'm not inspired by the idea that a=b.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:24 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Peregrinator wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:The MAlign doesn't have FTL comm technology anywhere hear as sensitive as Manticore's (if they've cracked that problem at all. FTL comms with any significant bandwidth have to incorporate very sensitive Gravitic sensors -- exactly what is needed to detect a spider drive's interaction with the alpha wall.

Of course, but unless I have read things wrong, the MAlign's Silver Bullet seems to be able to detect the grav pulses that allow those sensors to communicate with one another.

It isn't the FTL comm's grav pulses that intersect with the Spider Drive, it is the faint ripples along the Alpha (or next higher hyper-band) where they intersect. FTL comm receivers are sensitive enough to detect and decode those ripples, and IMHO, Spider Drive should manifest as "static" on FTL comms.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:36 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:The MAlign doesn't have FTL comm technology anywhere hear as sensitive as Manticore's (if they've cracked that problem at all. FTL comms with any significant bandwidth have to incorporate very sensitive Gravitic sensors -- exactly what is needed to detect a spider drive's interaction with the alpha wall.

Peregrinator wrote:Of course, but unless I have read things wrong, the MAlign's Silver Bullet seems to be able to detect the grav pulses that allow those sensors to communicate with one another.

Weird Harold wrote:It isn't the FTL comm's grav pulses that intersect with the Spider Drive, it is the faint ripples along the Alpha (or next higher hyper-band) where they intersect. FTL comm receivers are sensitive enough to detect and decode those ripples, and IMHO, Spider Drive should manifest as "static" on FTL comms.

Actually, I expect that they should be filtered out in the process of cleaning up the signal.
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:39 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

JohnRoth wrote:

Weird Harold wrote:It isn't the FTL comm's grav pulses that intersect with the Spider Drive, it is the faint ripples along the Alpha (or next higher hyper-band) where they intersect. FTL comm receivers are sensitive enough to detect and decode those ripples, and IMHO, Spider Drive should manifest as "static" on FTL comms.

Actually, I expect that they should be filtered out in the process of cleaning up the signal.

Eyup. :twisted:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:43 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:Eyup. :twisted:

That's very helpful.... NOT! :D

Post by Annachie   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:51 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:

They should also be far to regular.

When they spot them, the signal will be so regular that they'll be amazed they didn't see it brfore.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:06 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:

Annachie wrote:They should also be far to regular.

When they spot them, the signal will be so regular that they'll be amazed they didn't see it brfore.

It's in the "noise" that gets thrown away after cleaning up the signal. There's no reason they should be looking at the noise residual, and there would be nothing there unless there was a spider drive operating in the vicinity - something the MAlign doesn't do unless they're on an operation.

Now if someone gets a brainstorm and starts recording raw data, and there happens to be a spider drive operating in the vicinity, that signal should pop out to any competent analysis. And they'll be able to detect it at longer distances than the MAlign can because they've got more sensitive detectors.

When will that occur? When the plot requires it, of course.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:33 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:They should also be far to regular.

It's in the "noise" that gets thrown away after cleaning up the signal. There's no reason they should be looking at the noise residual, and there would be nothing there unless there was a spider drive operating in the vicinity - something the MAlign doesn't do unless they're on an operation.

Now if someone gets a brainstorm ...[/quote]

Shannon and Sondra have enough information on the Spider Drive -- theory at least -- that they should (eventually) realize that Spider Drives should be detectable as "noise" on FTL comms. But like you say, when the plot requires the brainstorm, then it will happen.

Post by kzt   » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:42 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:Now if someone gets a brainstorm and starts recording raw data, and there happens to be a spider drive operating in the vicinity, that signal should pop out to any competent analysis. And they'll be able to detect it at longer distances than the MAlign can because they've got more sensitive detectors.

When will that occur? When the plot requires it, of course.

The issue is that I suspect that pretty much nobody is in fact competent at looking at raw data. There is just too damn much volume and noise. It's like doing raw log analysis of traffic at google. 'Hmm, I get 3.7 million https connections per second. Which one do I want to start with?'

Return to Honorverse