Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 68 guests

Spoilers Treecats post UH

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Spoilers Treecats post UH
Post by TangoLima   » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:59 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

Several questions come to mind.
Will they be granted adult status ?
Will they become enfranchised as full citizens?
How will their consensual 'government' fit in to
the SEM and RH? Since the constitutions are being
amended to include reciprocal citizenship it could
be the ideal time to work on treecat questions.
Who else might recognize them as full sentients/sophonts?
The Andermanni perhaps? I am quite sure that Grayson
will recognize them and in fact may be the first do
so.
Re: Spoilers Treecats post UH
Post by pappilon   » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:43 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

TangoLima wrote:Several questions come to mind.
so.

I foresee a baby boom for the Tree cats. Now that they are expanding their territory, so to speak, They will need more bodies to fill their expanding territory. They already have 2 colonies on Grayson and they'll need at least one on Haven, probably in the Talbott Quadrant as well.

Probably be granted "Sentient" status, legally. Not sure what legal status they want or even need. They're matriarchal and basially have no real government, or need one. No need to open cans of worms that don't need opening. But it does raise all sorts of issues like wages, benefits, ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:58 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

I suspect that once the treecats learned sign-language, the SEM started to look at changes to their legal status.

One change that I think is likely is that individual Treecats will gain full adult status as they have shown that they are knowledgeable enough concerning human matters so they don't need the protection of minor status.

Treecats who only live in clan territory would have that minor status by default.

Treecats who spend a good part of the time in human society will have the protection of minor status until they learn enough to gain adult status.

Of course, adult status could include voting rights and paying taxes. :D

so.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by pappilon   » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:31 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

[quote="DrakBibliophile"]I suspect that once the treecats learned sign-language, the SEM started to look at changes to their legal status.

One change that I think is likely is that individual Treecats will gain full adult status as they have shown that they are knowledgeable enough concerning human matters so they don't need the protection of minor status.

Treecats who only live in clan territory would have that minor status by default.

Treecats who spend a good part of the time in human society will have the protection of minor status until they learn enough to gain adult status.

No argument from me. Just wondering though, since Treecats are sentient beings: What changes in status do they legally need? what changes do they actually want? Is their protected territory on Sphinx considered a "reservation" in the sense of Native American reservations? How does granting adult status for individuals leaving the reservation affect the status of those who prefer to live more traditionally?

Do the Cats get their own seat in the commons? The Lords (God forbid?)I can imagine the chilling effect that would have on future High Ridges.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by n7axw   » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:38 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
DrakBibliophile wrote:I suspect that once the treecats learned sign-language, the SEM started to look at changes to their legal status.

No argument from me. Just wondering though, since Treecats are sentient beings: What changes in status do they legally need? what changes do they actually want? Is their protected territory on Sphinx considered a "reservation" in the sense of Native American reservations? How does granting adult status for individuals leaving the reservation affect the status of those who prefer to live more traditionally?

Do the Cats get their own seat in the commons? The Lords (God forbid?)I can imagine the chilling effect that would have on future High Ridges.

God help everybody else if High Ridge and the cats start to conspire...of course, he is a guest of the state, isn't he...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:40 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote: I foresee a baby boom for the Tree cats. Now that they are expanding their territory, so to speak, They will need more bodies to fill their expanding territory. They already have 2 colonies on Grayson and they'll need at least one on Haven, probably in the Talbott Quadrant as well.

There is also the two colonies on Manticore and one on Gryphon to consider. (Harrington House/Jason Bay, White Haven Manor, and the Duchy of Harrington on Gryphon.)
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by TangoLima   » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:43 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

I am fairly sure the is an equivalent of treecat colonies at Mt Royal Palace, Haven and the Protectors palace.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:03 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
so.

I foresee a baby boom for the Tree cats. Now that they are expanding their territory, so to speak, They will need more bodies to fill their expanding territory. They already have 2 colonies on Grayson and they'll need at least one on Haven, probably in the Talbott Quadrant as well.

Probably be granted "Sentient" status, legally. Not sure what legal status they want or even need. They're matriarchal and basially have no real government, or need one. No need to open cans of worms that don't need opening. But it does raise all sorts of issues like wages, benefits, ...

I think you are right, one of the largest blocks on Treecat population limits has got to be food. And to date, Food was limited to what treecats could farm, hunt, harvest, or beg off humans. Now, with hard wages paid to treecats and communications available, someone (most likely with a Treecat) will be opening a food company catering specifically to treecats. Maybe it will be sales of greenhouses and modern greenhouse materials to clans (I can't see 'Cats wanting to go from 100% independent to 100% dependant on other for their food sources), but with 'Cat clans flush with wages, someone will step up with ways to make money off them.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by pappilon   » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:34 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:
I think you are right, one of the largest blocks on Treecat population limits has got to be food. And to date, Food was limited to what treecats could farm, hunt, harvest, or beg off humans. Now, with hard wages paid to treecats and communications available, someone (most likely with a Treecat) will be opening a food company catering specifically to treecats. Maybe it will be sales of greenhouses and modern greenhouse materials to clans (I can't see 'Cats wanting to go from 100% independent to 100% dependant on other for their food sources), but with 'Cat clans flush with wages, someone will step up with ways to make money off them.

Hasn't the SFS been doing that for a while anyway? Maybe not greenhouses, but certainly more agriculture to sustain their hunting/gathering. What I was thinking though, is lots of cats heading of world as armed security, etc makes more room for more litters of kittens. And those off world colonies are not so dependent on hunting/gathering.

But the SFS support v income tax paid ratio is my concern. Will it be applied against the entire Cat population or just the ones living on the Rez?

So many interconnected pieces to consider.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by saber964   » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:39 pm

saber964
Admiral

The income the treecats could be sitting on, could be tremendous. Remember they effectively own 35% of Sphinx. What could under the ground in the treecat areas. Things like gold platinum silver copper etc etc come to mind. Not to mention all of the wood products that could be harvested responsibly. Plus the treecat healers would have knowledge of medicinal plants that could be researched and exploited for both species. You could also have treecat guides for eco-tourism in the Sphinx backcountry. Plus I can see the SFS doing PSA's with Sparky the Treecat signing Only you can prevent wild fires.

Return to Honorverse