Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 14 guests

Spoilers Treecats post UH

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Spoilers Treecats post UH
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:16 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Why not provide treecats with something akin to the Talbott Quadrant? They vote for their own representatives to the Imperial Parliament, they choose their own peers as they see fit and can accept honors given to them by the Queen. This will work for Manticoran 'cats. Grayson 'cats will have their own relationships as well as Andermani and Havenite 'cats.

I can see Grayson 'cats will act as sept to the Harrington clan. Individual 'cats can decide for themselves where to give allegiance. Andermani 'cat clans may operate under diplomatic enclave rules. They are Alliance members with extraterritorial rights on the planets they settle.

Havenite 'cats is another issue altogether. If QEIII gets her way, Haven and Manticore will become much more closely associated. Perhaps something like a commonwealth with shared rights of citizenship. That implies a very similar treatment as the Sphynxian 'cats.

I really can't wait for the next story arc to begin!
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:19 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

dscott8 wrote:I'd like to think they would also finance the development of sign language to speech/text translators (something we two-legs have already experimented with). They would have an interest in removing the need for every two-leg to learn sign language.

In the long run I can't see the need of such a device. It's an inefficient answer. Sign language has the advantage that it requires no equipment, but once you introduce the requirement of equipment it's a very secondary answer. Rather, the cats will have miniature keyboards and text-to-speech devices.
Post by Peregrinator   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:58 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

I would find it hard to believe that there are not already such devices in the Honorverse, unless Deafness/HOH and other speech-related issues like apraxia are already such a thing of the past that the technology for this sort of equipment has been "lost".
Post by Peregrinator   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:00 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

Loren Pechtel wrote:In the long run I can't see the need of such a device. It's an inefficient answer. Sign language has the advantage that it requires no equipment, but once you introduce the requirement of equipment it's a very secondary answer. Rather, the cats will have miniature keyboards and text-to-speech devices.

Wait, a sign-to-speech device is ineffecient, but having a mini keyboard and text-to-speech device is efficient?
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:28 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Peregrinator wrote:
Loren Pechtel wrote:In the long run I can't see the need of such a device. It's an inefficient answer. Sign language has the advantage that it requires no equipment, but once you introduce the requirement of equipment it's a very secondary answer. Rather, the cats will have miniature keyboards and text-to-speech devices.

Wait, a sign-to-speech device is ineffecient, but having a mini keyboard and text-to-speech device is efficient?

First someone has to teach 'cats the symbols of speech. That might not be impossible, but difficult none the less.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:01 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

Peregrinator wrote:

You can type faster than you can sign.
Post by Peregrinator   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:02 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

PeterZ wrote:First someone has to teach 'cats the symbols of speech. That might not be impossible, but difficult none the less.

Luckily this has already happened.
Post by Peregrinator   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:04 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

Loren Pechtel wrote:You can type faster than you can sign.

I don't think this is true of people fluent in sign language. You might be able to type faster than you can fingerspell, but someone fluent in sign would only fingerspell those words for which he didn't know the sign.
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:25 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Peregrinator wrote:
PeterZ wrote:First someone has to teach 'cats the symbols of speech. That might not be impossible, but difficult none the less.

Luckily this has already happened.

Apologies, the symbolism of written language hasn't been taught yet. No text on it anyway.
Post by kzt   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:31 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Peregrinator wrote:I would find it hard to believe that there are not already such devices in the Honorverse, unless Deafness/HOH and other speech-related issues like apraxia are already such a thing of the past that the technology for this sort of equipment has been "lost".

You can do it as of a few years ago. There was an Xbox that could do it. It’s all plot why they can’t.

Return to Honorverse