Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 38 guests

-SPOILER- Uncompromising Honor - Likes and Don't Likes

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: -SPOILER- Uncompromising Honor - Likes and Don't Likes
Post by runsforcelery   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:24 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

kzt wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:
Wasn't a single wedge. Was a whole bunch of wedges, forming a multi-layered shell. There are a lot of idle Manticoran-flag merchies right now, and since Oyster Bay there are dozens of them assigned to protect really important bits of system infrastructure. If no one ever attacks, they can go right back to being merchant ships; in the meantime, they are a solid barricade of impeller wedges to provide 360-degree cover (well, they usually don't worry about fire coming from the planet) against stand off missile attacks.

OK, I either misunderstood or it was too subtle for me. I didn't get the impression that they have basically englobed the stations. I can certainly see how a very large number would work much better.

I really obtained the impression that they were just blocking the direct threat vector. Probably from this line

"they stood ready to interpose their impeller wedges between the targets under their protection and the threat axis from any attacking force."

Perhaps a clearer explanation in the text would be possible?

Thanks.

That was already done. The version you are reading is the originally submitted manuscript; there have been some tweaks since then. And there will probably be a few more in the copy edit process. I think it is much clearer in the version after the work you are reading. This is why they are called “advance reader copies.” :lol:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Peregrinator   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:31 am

Peregrinator
Commander

There were maybe a few things I didn't like about it but overall it was a great read.

It's not perfect, but then I've not read a perfect book (I can think of maybe four tha I've read in the SF&F space) that had a successful sequel.
Post by Sharidann   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:42 am

Sharidann
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Thanks for the lengthy answer, rfc!

Mind you, even if readers are hard to satisfy, they wouldn't criticize if they didn't like it (and you, and your work) alot! :)

runsforcelery wrote:I obviously disagree with quite a few of
the criticisms being raised, or I wouldn't have written the book the way I did to begin with. :P :lol:
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:40 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

I would like to take a moment to note that the christening of Shannon Foraker and Sonja Hemphill as the 'Demonic Duo' might just be my favorite part of the whole damn book.

(You know they need to get married eventually, don't you, RFC?)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by n7axw   » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:19 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:I would like to take a moment to note that the christening of Shannon Foraker and Sonja Hemphill as the 'Demonic Duo' might just be my favorite part of the whole damn book.

They will never pass on their brilliance genes if they get married...besides, for pure fun, marriage can be a downer! :lol:

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:47 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

n7axw wrote:
roseandheather wrote:I would like to take a moment to note that the christening of Shannon Foraker and Sonja Hemphill as the 'Demonic Duo' might just be my favorite part of the whole damn book.

They will never pass on their brilliance genes if they get married...besides, for pure fun, marriage can be a downer! :lol:

Don

-

Says who?? I don't think Franz Illescue would agree with you! :mrgreen:

Fine, they don't need to get married, but they are clearly soulmates and the Honorverse needs a technological singularity of lesbian geek love. 8-)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by TangoLima   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:55 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

I'm not sure if the Beowulf code allows it.
I think they could have offspring either cloned or
engineered from their combine DNA.
Post by n7axw   » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:52 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

So there is a way for me to yank an Rose's chain... Yeah, there are sperm donores and petri dishes, but how romantic is that?

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Jacob Zavala   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:40 am

Jacob Zavala
Ensign

Hi! I haven't posted much since joining but I just purchased and read the EARC and I decided to reply to this thread since I have no one in real life to discuss these awesome things with. So, here we go!

Likes: Damien Harahap joining the side of the angels and being adopted by a Treecat (Also like: His treecat name, which is awesome!). He always seemed like less of an evil guy and more of a craftsman doing his job out of a sense of orderly pride, which is basically exactly how Honor describes him.

Indiana and Abigail. It's about time a couple tertiary characters were paired off. Outside of Honor herself, the only main characters from any of the series who were single starting out have managed to find true love. Victor Cachat, Helen and Paulo, and Horace Harkness are the only ones I can think of offhand. The rest are either languishing alone and unloved, or were already married when the series began. Now if we can just get Michelle and Lester to spend a little more time together...

The Demonic Duo: More of this please. More Shannon Foraker. A Shannon Foraker book. A series of Shannon Foraker books.

The fake, innocent "Alignment". That was a sneaky trick and entirely in keeping with the MA's layered defenses, and it was funny in a macabre sort of way.

The Sollies getting some hits in. I'm not happy that so many beloved people were killed, not to mention millions of other innocents, but the battle at Hypatia was excellent from a military fiction standpoint, in that it was getting kind of repetitive watching Solly fleets being blown out of the stars without making a single dent in return. I like the idea of no Manticorans, Graysons, or Havenites dying but it was a little satisfying to the military fiction lover in me to see that while Koudoc's squadron managed to rout their enemies, this time it came at an actual cost.

More adventures of the guys now christened the "Ghost Hunters". I hope Bryce, Daud, and the others manage to make it through the future alive. It's nice to know there are some fundamentally decent people in the uniform of the Solly military.

There are a lot of other likes (I loved this book), but these are the ones I thought of for the moment.

Now, Dislikes:

Harahap and Clean Killer. I love the fact that Harahap was adopted, and I'm not complaining that it happened. My complaint is that of all the characters in the series, this was the first non-Manticoran/Grayson to be adopted. It should have been Foraker, darn it! Or Eloise Pritchart, or Tom, or Lester, or even someone like Chien-Lu or Stephen Westman. I feel like one of the greatest possible cementings of the Grand Alliance would be an adoption by a treecat of the Havenite President, no? And Shannon would be an even more obvious choice, given the way she risked her life for Nimitz all those years ago. Anyways, I know it's a small gripe, and it's colored by my love of the Restored Republic of Haven and it's top people, but darn it, I'm just a little disappointed.

No Avairs, no Helen, no Michelle, no Lester, no Benjamin Mayhew. Barely any mention of Chien-lu. I understand there's only so much you can fit, but with all the high-level discussions and meetings, I had hoped to see some of them. Even a cameo message from Avairs or Michelle would have been welcome.

Obviously the deaths. Tom Caparelli especially, as well as Patricia Givens. Those two made it through a lot and I'm gonna miss them :(

There are others, but most of them are just dumb complaints about people or things I would have liked to have heard about, but obviously couldn't without the book being 1500 pages long. (The aftermath on Swallow and Chotebor and Wloclawek, more scenes on Darius, et cetera. Stuff other people consider filler, I consider entertaining information!)

Anyways, sorry for the long-winded post, but I NEVER get to talk about the Honorverse with anyone, ever. So hi!
Post by kzt   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:59 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

The space battles were generally excellent. I'm still not fully convinced about the LAC ambush on the far side of the WH, but it wasn't insane. The others all seemed to hold together really well and were really fun to read.

But it was overall a really, really good book. I was certainly surprised by the approach used to close the war, but it all held together and worked very well.

It will be interesting to read the HC and see what changed.

Return to Honorverse