Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kzt and 58 guests

-SPOILER- Uncompromising Honor - Likes and Don't Likes

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: -SPOILER- Uncompromising Honor - Likes and Don't Likes
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

Krenn wrote:There were two elements near the end that really threw me...

1: The Admirals defending Sol figured out VERY quickly that they were basically doomed. They had a good estimate of how much trouble they were in the moment they saw the opposition arrived, and they managed to confirm that shortly thereafter.

However.... The Mandarins had no clue how much trouble they were in, and the Admirals apparently never anticipated this threat, and never warned the Mandarins.

That seems very odd to me: You'd think that warning your political leadership about how badly your navy might lose if the enemy goes on the offensive would be a standard line item during any admirality-political leadership briefings...

Remember, they were MAlign guys messing with the information flow.

They knew they couldn't win a up-and-up fight, they were being offered carrots in the form of other ways of dealing with it.
Post by Slneezy   » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:28 pm

Slneezy
Lieutenant Commander

Krenn wrote:
1: The Admirals defending Sol figured out VERY quickly that they were basically doomed. They had a good estimate of how much trouble they were in the moment they saw the opposition arrived, and they managed to confirm that shortly thereafter.

However.... The Mandarins had no clue how much trouble they were in, and the Admirals apparently never anticipated this threat, and never warned the Mandarins.

That seems very odd to me: You'd think that warning your political leadership about how badly your navy might lose if the enemy goes on the offensive would be a standard line item during any admirality-political leadership briefings...

Kingsford flat out told Innokentiy Kolokoltsov that Battle Fleet had no chance of winning a stand up fight with the GA in A Rising Thunder. Indeed he flat out stated that even reactivating the Reserve would be useless - and the Mandarins agreed with him which is why the raiding tactics were implemented and why the Mandarins were fighting for money to build new ships instead of using the huge number of old ships they had.

What the Mandarins didn't anticipate was Mesa messing at Beowulf which allowed the GA a chance to go on the offensive without utterly enraging the League's core worlds.

They also overestimated how popular the League's current policies really were even amongst its members.
Post by pappilon   » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:37 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Slneezy wrote:
Krenn wrote:

Kingsford flat out told Innokentiy Kolokoltsov that Battle Fleet had no chance of winning a stand up fight with the GA in A Rising Thunder. Indeed he flat out stated that even reactivating the Reserve would be useless - and the Mandarins agreed with him which is why the raiding tactics were implemented and why the Mandarins were fighting for money to build new ships instead of using the huge number of old ships they had.

What the Mandarins didn't anticipate was Mesa messing at Beowulf which allowed the GA a chance to go on the offensive without utterly enraging the League's core worlds.

They also overestimated how popular the League's current policies really were even amongst its members.

)
Well put. I will only add:

The defeat of such a huge part of one of their raiding parties by 4 - 5 Manty CLs and DDs, Saltash, Thimble, Manticore,etc should have made the military disparity more than painfully obvious.

All that can be suggested is the idiocy coming out of the Ministry of Education and Information was not idiotic propaganda but the real and serious delusional belief of the Mandarins involved.

Also wasn't Kingsfors actively trying to get in touch with the Mandarins and Kolokoltsov was actively not accepting calls because one of their August Company was not there? (Could be me mis-remembering :oops:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Slneezy   » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:04 pm

Slneezy
Lieutenant Commander

pappilon wrote:
)

The defeat of such a huge part of one of their raiding parties by 4 - 5 Manty CLs and DDs, Saltash, Thimble, Manticore,etc should have made the military disparity more than painfully obvious.

All that can be suggested is the idiocy coming out of the Ministry of Education and Information was not idiotic propaganda but the real and serious delusional belief of the Mandarins involved.

Also wasn't Kingsfors actively trying to get in touch with the Mandarins and Kolokoltsov was actively not accepting calls because one of their August Company was not there? (Could be me mis-remembering :oops:

They only knew about Thimble and later on Manticore - initial Crandall's defeat was downplayed by Rajampet and that faulty information which coupled with Oyster Bay made the Mandarins give the OK for Manticore (not knowing that Haven was going to join in and having SLN's CNO falsify stuff makes their assessment reasonable).

After Manticore the Mandarins pretty much had all the info - but their acceptable options were pretty much nil.

Kingsford's raiding strategy was a desperate attempt at salvaging the situation.

Neither Beowulf/GA nor MAlign were willing to ease up the pressure and allow a negotiated peace.

Indeed Beowulf's actions in particular as a member of the League carried a certain amount of bad faith - I'm inclined to give the Mandarins a partial pass on that one counterbalanced by the fact that they had very little idea on what was happening in the League's core worlds AKA the very places that should have been supporting the transtelars and the federal government.
Post by pappilon   » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:17 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:

Also wasn't Kingsfors actively trying to get in touch with the Mandarins and Kolokoltsov was actively not accepting calls because one of their August Company was not there? (Could be me mis-remembering :oops:)

Slneezy wrote:They only knew about Thimble and later on Manticore - initial Crandall's defeat was downplayed by Rajampet and that faulty infor have had a fair mation which coupled with Oyster Bay made the Mandarins give the OK for Manticore (not knowing that Haven was going to join in and having SLN's CNO falsify stuff makes their assessment reasonable).

After Manticore the Mandarins pretty much had all the info - but their acceptable options were pretty much nil.

So, by the tome The Salamander comes blasting across the hyperwall right on top of a squadron of BCs or whatever, the Mandarins, with Kingsford's help, shouldhave had a fair idea that nothing they had could possibly stand up to 400 SD(p)s. Yes at that point their options were: accept whatever terms Honor offered. So McArtney pulled an Elvis Santino, except Kingsford refused the order.

Slneezy wrote:Kingsford's raiding strategy was a desperate attempt at salvaging the situation.

Neither Beowulf/GA nor MAlign were willing to ease up the pressure and allow a negotiated peace.

Before the Massacre at Manticore (or the great kitten drowning), yes, the GA/Beowulf would have considered any serious peace negotiation.

Everything after Crandall "was a desperate attempt at salvaging the situation." Refusing to even open talks with Manticore after Byng was said "desperate attempt."

Slneezy wrote:Indeed Beowulf's actions in particular as a member of the League carried a certain amount of bad faith - I'm inclined to give the Mandarins a partial pass on that one counterbalanced by the fact that they had very little idea on what was happening in the League's core worlds AKA the very places that should have been supporting the transtelars and the federal government.

Only viewed through the rather twisty lens of The Mandarins. Canada, as a member of the British Commonwealth is free to make trade deals with the US &Mexico without being traitorous to the UK, I think. I admit my knowledge of the Commonwealth's rules, regs, and politics is marginal at best.

But The UK would need Canada's permission to use CFB Gander to launch an attack on the US, I think. The Solaran League is not The US of A where each state is constitutionally forbidden to make separate trade deals and treaties with foreign powers. It, so it seems to me, to be More the Commonwealth of independent star nations able to do their own thing with whomever including building their own navy, which again is something each state is specifically forbidden.

Beowulf was playing by the rules as it reasonably interpreted them. And yes, reasonable persons may reasonably disagree. Which, from Beowulf's perspective was exactly what was occurring until Kolokoltsov pulled Reid out of the Chamber of Stars' woodwork to begin the debate on Beowulf's actions.

At which point Beowulf respectfully announces it was seceding pending passage of the plebescite. Again, from Beowulf's perspective reasonable persons reasonably disagreeing until the vote made it official.

Yes anything that tossed sand into the machinations of the Mandarins would certainly be viewed as treason to them, because the constitution was so much toilet paper.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by Slneezy   » Tue May 01, 2018 4:13 am

Slneezy
Lieutenant Commander

pappilon wrote:So, by the tome The Salamander comes blasting across the hyperwall right on top of a squadron of BCs or whatever, the Mandarins, with Kingsford's help, shouldhave had a fair idea that nothing they had could possibly stand up to 400 SD(p)s. Yes at that point their options were: accept whatever terms Honor offered. So McArtney pulled an Elvis Santino, except Kingsford refused the order.

Well McArtney didn't have a lot to lose even compared to the other Mandarins. The others can very well get away with everything bar corruption and abuse of power because they didn't and couldn't order the Navy to do anything - their power was entirely informal so they could probably away with a couple decades jail time if the League or GA has actually fair trials.

However McArtney's area of responsibility is the OFS which means that all the nasty stuff that's been going on in the Protectorates is going to come down on his head. He's also not really popular amongst his fellow Mandarins and a bad boss to boot so he's in the worst position of the five.

pappilon wrote:Before the Massacre at Manticore (or the great kitten drowning), yes, the GA/Beowulf would have considered any serious peace negotiation.

Everything after Crandall "was a desperate attempt at salvaging the situation." Refusing to even open talks with Manticore after Byng was said "desperate attempt."

Only viewed through the rather twisty lens of The Mandarins. Canada, as a member of the British Commonwealth is free to make trade deals with the US &Mexico without being traitorous to the UK, I think. I admit my knowledge of the Commonwealth's rules, regs, and politics is marginal at best.

But The UK would need Canada's permission to use CFB Gander to launch an attack on the US, I think. The Solaran League is not The US of A where each state is constitutionally forbidden to make separate trade deals and treaties with foreign powers. It, so it seems to me, to be More the Commonwealth of independent star nations able to do their own thing with whomever including building their own navy, which again is something each state is specifically forbidden.

Beowulf was playing by the rules as it reasonably interpreted them. And yes, reasonable persons may reasonably disagree. Which, from Beowulf's perspective was exactly what was occurring until Kolokoltsov pulled Reid out of the Chamber of Stars' woodwork to begin the debate on Beowulf's actions.

At which point Beowulf respectfully announces it was seceding pending passage of the plebescite. Again, from Beowulf's perspective reasonable persons reasonably disagreeing until the vote made it official.

Yes anything that tossed sand into the machinations of the Mandarins would certainly be viewed as treason to them, because the constitution was so much toilet paper.
[/quote]

They could have salvaged stuff after Crandall by denouncing her and stabbing Rajampet in the back if they had good enough information. MAlign obviously tricked them though.

As for Beowulf: they deliberately held back info on Manticoran capabilities way before Byng got blown up.

Beowulf didn't collaborate with the Mandarins in good faith the way Canada and the UK or even the US and the UK (or other NATO members do). They didn't give them the info they very much needed; they even did their own anti-Mesa black ops entirely separate from the League's structures. That's despite the League being more than a tad tighter than the Commonwealth and a 700 year old history between Beowulf and the League.

Indeed it is striking just how... distant... even core world governments were from the League's federal governemnt. Sure part of that is on the Mandarins but Beowulf and friends had their fair share of the blame - they practically acted almost identically with the MAlign plants except in Manticore's direction.
Post by pappilon   » Tue May 01, 2018 8:19 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Slneezy wrote:They could have salvaged stuff after Crandall by denouncing her and stabbing Rajampet in the back if they had good enough information. MAlign obviously tricked them though.

Yes, they could have. Except for they are into desperate measures to keep from showing the verge that the 800 kilo gorilla has no teeth. Negotiating, from the Manticoran perspective could have been doable. It was never in thenrealm of the possible from the Mandarins' perspective.

Slneezy wrote:As for Beowulf: they deliberately held back info on Manticoran capabilities way before Byng got blown up.

Beowulf didn't collaborate with the Mandarins in good faith the way Canada and the UK or even the US and the UK (or other NATO members do). They didn't give them the info they very much needed; they even did their own anti-Mesa black ops entirely separate from the League's structures. That's despite the League being more than a tad tighter than the Commonwealth and a 700 year old history between Beowulf and the League.

Well, then again, nobody at the SLN ONI ever thought to ask. did they? And knowing what we know about al Fanudahi and his cohort, even if Beowulf had volunteered the information it would have been buried so deep in the bowels of the naval building, it couldn't have been found with tracking radar and blood hounds. Who can trust a mere SDF to gather solid information and not be fooled by Manticore.

So, again, is it treason to not give them information they would have ignored anyway? Even after Crandall's stellar performance nobody even thought to seek advice from Beowulf. Even after Chin talked with Beowilf's military, their concerns were blatantly ignored.

Slneezy wrote:Indeed it is striking just how... distant... even core world governments were from the League's federal governemnt.

Yeah, my point exactly. there is a disconnect at the Kuiper belt. Nobody inside the Belt cares what happens outside The Belt. And nobody outside The Belt cares what happens inside it. TEXTEV.

Slneezy wrote:Sure part of that is on the Mandarins but Beowulf and friends had their fair share of the blame - they practically acted almost identically with the MAlign plants except in Manticore's direction.

I don't understand this part in italics. Yes the independent planets comprising the SL ignored the virtually useless league government just as much as the Mandarins ignored them.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by darkknightdude   » Fri May 04, 2018 3:53 am

darkknightdude
Midshipman

My likes were the battle scenes, especially like the Hypatia battle scenes were excellent. Some political bits were also interesting with the systems seceding.

My dislikes were the conversations unfortunately. 80% of the book was conversations between characters I couldn't care less about. Felt like it dragged on forever. There's a bit more Honor but I never found her interesting, it was the characters around her. But nobody was compelling.

Ending also felt like everything was resolved much too easily.

I'm just glad its done. Not very happy with how the series has been derailed badly by the Mesan Alignment plot.
Post by pappilon   » Fri May 04, 2018 4:44 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

darkknightdude wrote: {snip]

I'm just glad its done. Not very happy with how the series has been derailed badly by the Mesan Alignment plot.

It resolved not only much too easily but also so open endedly vis-a-vis the Solaran League. Like it ended, but not really. Of course that was sort of th point, Honor going out in one last Valkyrie ride against a paper tiger showing she was right all along about The League.

As has been stated by RFC in the forum before, it was Eric Flint derailed the story line in Shadow of Saganami. The MAlign's existence was not supposed to be known until this book.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by George J. Smith   » Fri May 04, 2018 6:04 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

pappilon wrote:
darkknightdude wrote: {snip]

It resolved not only much too easily but also so open endedly vis-a-vis the Solaran League. Like it ended, but not really. Of course that was sort of th point, Honor going out in one last Valkyrie ride against a paper tiger showing she was right all along about The League.

As has been stated by RFC in the forum before, it was Eric Flint derailed the story line in Shadow of Saganami. The MAlign's existence was not supposed to be known until this book.

If the story line had not been derailed this arc would have ended with Honor dying in At All Costs, and we would have been waiting forever for the 2nd arc to start, now we still have to wait forever for the 2nd arc to start, but we have had a good few extra books as a result of the derailment.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah

Return to Honorverse