Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

(Spoiler) Notification of change in Chain of Command

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: (Spoiler) Notification of change in Chain of Command
Post by munroburton   » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:03 am

munroburton
Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:Actually, I was wondering about the explosion. Shouldn't some of it shown up on the comm recording?

It comes down to the speed of the explosion versus the framerate of the cameras. Google says C4 explodes at ~8,000 metres per second.

I think, with 30 FPS cameras, if the explosion were closer than 266(?) metres, it would not be seen. A 250 FPS camera would not see that explosion closer than 30 metres. The camera feeds would just die if the pickups were within the blast zone.

And that bomb was designed to trash the entire compartment.
Post by phillies   » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:40 am

phillies
Admiral

A great deal would depend on the detail of the detector design. with an older image orthicon, or if the explosion occurred in time close to the instant of frame capture, you would see something.

munroburton wrote:
Robert_A_Woodward wrote:Actually, I was wondering about the explosion. Shouldn't some of it shown up on the comm recording?

It comes down to the speed of the explosion versus the framerate of the cameras. Google says C4 explodes at ~8,000 metres per second.

I think, with 30 FPS cameras, if the explosion were closer than 266(?) metres, it would not be seen. A 250 FPS camera would not see that explosion closer than 30 metres. The camera feeds would just die if the pickups were within the blast zone.

Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:44 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:Assuming, of course, that the whole flagship's coms weren't also destroyed/taken out.

If I was planning that, it would be.

But that’s because you are a nasty person… And I’m not.

Honest! Ask anyone in the Honorverse! :twisted: :lol:

Actually, I was wondering about the explosion. Shouldn't some of it shown up on the comm recording?[/quote]

160 seconds is not a long time. It would take seconds to get over the shock that your missiles had fired and then to realize that all the ships had fired. Then to realize that the flag bridge of Oppenheimer was down (possibly Filareta had changed his mind).

Then there's the tac situation. The Manties fired back, lots of missiles.

In the middle of this, an admiral who had almost certainly never fought a battle should work out what exactly should be done and get the message out.

I don't think so.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:51 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

munroburton wrote:

I was thinking of the SOUND of the explosion.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by kzt   » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:54 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I was thinking of the SOUND of the explosion.

Maybe you'll get a click as the microphone hits max input and then is destroyed by the shock front. Maybe.
Post by munroburton   » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:25 am

munroburton
Admiral

kzt wrote:
Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I was thinking of the SOUND of the explosion.

Maybe you'll get a click as the microphone hits max input and then is destroyed by the shock front. Maybe.

The speed of sound? Very slow - 343 metres per second. The audio pickups would be destroyed before registering anything too.

Return to Honorverse