Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

Honorverse Plans (Post UH)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Honorverse Plans (Post UH)
Post by Jeslis   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:11 am

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I'm just curious if this is posted anywhere, or been announced in the past and I've missed it.

I know the authors 'general' plans include 1 new book for the safehold, multiverse, and .. wargod? (hadrani) series.. from what I recall of a past announcement. I could be wrong on this however.

But after all that, is the 'intention' to return to the honorverse again? And being a bit more specific; is the intention to return and progress the timeline? ((Altho I will NEVER say no to more treecat specific things.))
Re: Honorverse Plans (Post UH)
Post by redemption   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:00 am

redemption
Ensign

Jeslis wrote:I'm just curious if this is posted anywhere, or been announced in the past and I've missed it.

I know the authors 'general' plans include 1 new book for the safehold, multiverse, and .. wargod? (hadrani) series.. from what I recall of a past announcement. I could be wrong on this however.

But after all that, is the 'intention' to return to the honorverse again? And being a bit more specific; is the intention to return and progress the timeline? ((Altho I will NEVER say no to more treecat specific things.))

Since UH wont be officially released for a while I don't believe he has said either. All we can do is guess as far as I know. I am sure our Admirals will tell us 8-)

My own opinions Wild GUESS
-------------------------------------------

(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Spoiler Tag!!!)

There will be two more books. This is my wild guess.

Either Book 1 or 2 will have a lot more Andermani involved.

1: The next novel will be the next Shadow book with Tenth Fleet with the Havenite contingent with Firebrand in search of Mesa Alignment. Unless they come up out of hiding from their own version of Bolthole at Darius to strike Manticore and or allies again, I think that book will be a long drawn out search for them ending from Tenths perspective and or a cliff hanger.

2: Leading to a finale book of the Honor mainline with Honor Harrington as First Space Lord because the Empress gets what she wants usually in the end. I sadly expect more death in book 2.
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:05 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

I think we may get a couple more anthologies, filling in blanks and/or setting the scenes for novels in the next arc.

Maybe a short story about the MAlign trying to determine where the Harrington line came from because of the empathic link Honor has developed. We know they wanted to get the 'cat genes for the possibility of developing telepathy, so finding that source from amongst their genome records could help towards that end.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by clancy688   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:12 am

clancy688
Captain of the List

Um...

My take on this whole thing was that UH wrapped the universe up in a way like David originally wanted to do with AAC.

And we know what his original plans were - timeskip of ~20 years or so and focus on Honor's children unraveling the Malign.

So I'm pretty sure that's what will happen here, too. There is not going to be another Honor book. Or side-universe book.

There's going to be a timeskip. The Malign's operations have been thoroughly trashed, but they still have Darius, Houdini was a success and the galaxy is a mess at the moment.
So I expect them to retreat into the shadows again and lick their wounds - for the time. The GA and others (new SL, Maya, etc) will keep looking for them, but I don't think they'll be very successful.

Eventually though, a young Manticoran officer candidate will stumble upon the Malign again during his middy cruise (maybe on a certain Grayson noblewoman's cruiser?)... and things will come into motion once again. :D

Tl;dr:

Nope to everything posted above. There will be no sequels or sidequels. There'll be a new series with a new protagonist (Raoul?) starting with a 20+ years timeskip.
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:20 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Jeslis wrote:I'm just curious if this is posted anywhere, or been announced in the past and I've missed it.

RFC in About the Schedule in the David's Dimension Forum wrote:For the record, I never said that Uncompromising would be the end of the Honorverse. I anticipate doing a lot more books in this literary universe. Some of the novels I want to write amount to backstory — Alfred Harrington's Marine career, for example. Others would explore threads I never got the chance to follow up on in the main arc. And others will probably continue with core characters from the current line of novels.

My Bold

topic here ( if I can get this to work)
http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8821

So I don't think Clancy688 has got evidence for what he says about no more books in the "current" time period. I know what RFC has said about "the next generatiom" but barring War or overly convenient accident Duchess and Steadholder Harrington is going to be very much about and involved in Politics, if maybe not the Navy, for at least 100-150 years.
Post by Jeslis   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:37 pm

Jeslis
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Randomiser wrote:

Thank you! that is exactly the scheduling thingy I was looking for!
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:51 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

redemption wrote:

Since UH wont be officially released for a while I don't believe he has said either. All we can do is guess as far as I know. I am sure our Admirals will tell us 8-)

My own opinions Wild GUESS
-------------------------------------------

There will be two more books. This is my wild guess.

Either Book 1 or 2 will have a lot more Andermani involved.

1: The next novel will be the next Shadow book with Tenth Fleet with the Havenite contingent with Firebrand in search of Mesa Alignment. Unless they come up out of hiding from their own version of Bolthole at Darius to strike Manticore and or allies again, I think that book will be a long drawn out search for them ending from Tenths perspective and or a cliff hanger.

2: Leading to a finale book of the Honor mainline with Honor Harrington as First Space Lord because the Empress gets what she wants usually in the end. I sadly expect more death in book 2.

I posted somewhere long ago in a galaxy far far away, my notion of a retired Honor, Honor as First Space Lord would serve the purpose even better, and a formidable navy hypering into the Manty Home system and wreaking havoc, but then Honor heads for a ship. Much like the retired Kirk once did. "I need to get aboard a ship." So he stole one in The Voyage Home. Essentially Honor says "When you want some killing done, you've got to do it yourself." LOL

An aging McGuiness will somehow hear about it and be waiting onboard with Honor's uniform. Then the MAN will find out why you never break into someone's home and attack them. Home court advantage. Especially if its the home of the Salamander.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:57 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by feyhunde   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:47 pm

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

Jeslis wrote:
Randomiser wrote:

Thank you! that is exactly the scheduling thingy I was looking for!

What this means is there's still likely going to be another Shadows or CoS style novel or two. Plus stand alones. Honor herself hit a ceiling at the end of AAC that limited her ability to tell a story.

The MAlign may be quiet for a generation. But they are out there, and eventually need to be dealt with. Several threads relate to that, and work as a backdrop to the next round of stories. Lots of room for single ship actions or squadron actions, as well as spy stories, but few to none large fleet actions besides RF and Darius invasions.

Lots of it depends on how MWW wants to deal and start things. He could do a time jump to another generation and deal with the MAlign coming out again. He could instead have a few wrap up novels. Much of it comes to what's MWW want to commit to.

Lots of back stories too. Do we know when Dark Fall is going to be published now? I also want to hear the story of the Brotherhood's invasion of Manticore, perhaps a full novella or more on D'Orville and Saganami
Post by NervousEnergy   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:13 pm

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

Keep in mind we're still not entirely sure what the MA's long term goal is. Loved the part in UH where it was noted that it would be a lot easier for as powerful and connected a group as the MA seems to be to get a relaxation of the genetic uplift ban and just go to town on themselves. Of course, they pretty much did that on Darius anyway.

They wanted general chaos in the universe for the RF to emerge and.. do something with it. Well, the RF has emerged, and the new, less monolithic and OFS-free SL constitution should allow a good number of former protectorates to join them free and clear. Will the MA's plan still work in a universe without the chaos of war but with a much more decentralized SL? We don't know... we're not sure what the plan is.

20 years of general stability should be plenty of time for Abigail or Helen to get to independent command, and for Honor's kids to get to snotty cruises and start the next phase all over again. Just depends on if DW wants to write it.

Return to Honorverse