Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

Spoilers - UH possible errors and questions

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Spoilers - UH possible errors and questions
Post by pappilon   » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:56 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Peregrinator wrote:This is a minor error but in one scene (p.62 of the RTF) Nimitz signs "Yes" by making the "S" handshape (a fist) and bending it up and down from the wrist (which is correct)

“I see Hamish and Emily have been good for the Beowulf side of you,” Allison said, and Nimitz laughed again, then raised his right hand—fingers closed to spell the letter “S”—and nodded it up and down in agreement.

while in another scene (p. 424 of the RTF) another treecat, Alfredo, signs "Yes" by making the "Y" handshape (thumb and little finger out) and bending it up and down (which is incorrect)

He stopped, finally, and Gold Peak looked at him levelly. Then she glanced at the treecat on the master sergeant’s shoulder and arched an eyebrow. The silent question evoked only a single sign—one of the ones Harahap had learned to recognize—in response: the nodding “Y” which meant “yes.” Gold Peak considered him for a moment longer, then shrugged and turned back to Harahap.

And at some earlier point some ct made the ess symbol and nodded his head. I guess even treecats have accents. or maybe its a diffwrence of emphasis: yes, YES, yes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Peregrinator   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:54 am

Peregrinator
Commander

pappilon wrote:And at some earlier point some ct made the ess symbol and nodded his head. I guess even treecats have accents. or maybe its a diffwrence of emphasis: yes, YES, yes

There are definitely "accents" in ASL (e.g. different signs for "pizza") but given how fundamental the sign for "yes" is, and that the treecats learned sign language from a memory song, I'm inclined to think that this is an error, a minor one, but still an error.
Post by lfesdaille   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:55 pm

lfesdaille
Ensign

Who has more time in grade Fritz Montoya or Alfred Harrington?
Post by Dauntless   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:44 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

lfesdaille wrote:Who has more time in grade Fritz Montoya or Alfred Harrington?

good question. I suspect Alfred, he was a navy doc for many years before retirement and though fitz has spent 20 years fixing up honor and the rest of the navy he was quite junior when we met him.
Post by lfesdaille   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:50 pm

lfesdaille
Ensign

We were told earlier that rank accrues on Half Pay. Alfred was however retired. I don't recall the rules in that instance.

Dauntless wrote:good question. I suspect Alfred, he was a navy doc for many years before retirement and though fitz has spent 20 years fixing up honor and the rest of the navy he was quite junior when we met him.

Return to Honorverse