Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 67 guests

Spoilers - UH possible errors and questions

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Spoilers - UH possible errors and questions
Post by kzt   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:07 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Great book. Better wrap of the major threads than I expected.

But things that made me go huh?

It's all vague spoilers past here

1) "Uicorn Salvage Yard"

2) The first George Benton Tower discussion doesn’t seem to make sense. It appears that what delayed Kolokoltsov was the discovery of the leak, since nobody else had heard of it. So how had he gotten people installing cabling and already had thorough checks done for leaks in an hour? Something here doesn’t make sense.

3a) Ajay So, if I were to send through destroyers through a WH what would you want to do? Obviously you report back that you made it safely, but what then? I would then be looking for mines that would be set to ignore DDs but go for more valuable units. And mines are a LOT smaller than LACS. Since it was stated way back in HoQ that radar on a ship can pick up a missile bow-on at several million KM I’d expect that they would run a slow, methodical active and passive scan of everything within say 4-5 light seconds.
And if radar is sufficient to detect a 2m diameter missile target at 2 million km it is perfectly capable of spotting a 20 meter LAC at 500,000km, as that is a 100x larger target with a signal 256x stronger.

3b) Not a big deal, but at the other end, wouldn’t the LACs be harder to spot ballistically rather then at 300 some gravities? The crew might be distracted but the computers are not. And the BCs are assumed to be all ready to hyper out, and have a whole lot of energy firepower manned and ready, attempting to be too perfect seems a bit of an unnecessary risk of either losing the target or losing the LACs.

4) How can Jennifer be one of the first prolong recipients and be 130 years old?
Re: Spoilers - UH possible errors and questions
Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:37 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

He likes it! He likes it! If kzt likes it, it must be good! The author can't force feed this Mikey just anything. I really want this book. Done made two places for it right along with the rest of the series. This copy and the, you know its coming, leather copy.

That's over 75 copies I have to purchase. Mostly to be shipped to friends in Romania.

Seems Stella err Weber got his groove back. It never left him.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by munroburton   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:31 am

munroburton
Admiral

I wondered if RFC put in that bit about Admiral Chin and the end of BoM1 just for kzt. ;)
Post by Star Knight   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:37 am

Star Knight
Commodore

Remind me, why didnt Kuzak roll pods again? :?
Last edited by Star Knight on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Star Knight   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:02 am

Star Knight
Commodore

Question - why didnt they try to use Lorelei platforms as decoys to trigger the alpha launch at Hypatia?
The Sollies had a hard time finding TG 110.2, so launch missiles, activate Loreleis and sneak off on a different vector. By the time the Sollies realize what's happening it might be too late.
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:12 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Star Knight wrote:Reming me, why didnt Kuzak roll pods again? :?

I don't think she had them. IIRC, around the time of 1st Manticore most of the new cutting-edge tech had been with Eighth Fleet, while Kuzak was in command of Third Fleet, which had been parked at San Martin and probably wasn't Priority No. 1 for Hemphill's new toys.

Take this with a sizable chunk of salt as I'm probably the least-techy person on here, though!
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Star Knight   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:34 am

Star Knight
Commodore

Of course she carried pods inside her podlaying SDs... At the very least she should have predeployed every single Apollo pod from McKeons BatRon.
Her actions at Manticore are far more ... stupid than anything else problematic with First Manticore.
As kzt would say, she and her entire stuff started smoking something and never read a tactical paper since they took Trevor Star during the First War.
Or as i see it, she was very rusty after guarding Trevors Star for what - a decade? And nobody realized it, beginning with White Haven.
But lets not open that can of Worms and ignore how disastrous the White Haven Admiralty conducted the Second Havenite War.
Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:11 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:Great book. Better wrap of the major threads than I expected.

But things that made me go huh?

It's all vague spoilers past here

1) "Uicorn Salvage Yard"

2) The first George Benton Tower discussion doesn’t seem to make sense. It appears that what delayed Kolokoltsov was the discovery of the leak, since nobody else had heard of it. So how had he gotten people installing cabling and already had thorough checks done for leaks in an hour? Something here doesn’t make sense.

3a) Ajay So, if I were to send through destroyers through a WH what would you want to do? Obviously you report back that you made it safely, but what then? I would then be looking for mines that would be set to ignore DDs but go for more valuable units. And mines are a LOT smaller than LACS. Since it was stated way back in HoQ that radar on a ship can pick up a missile bow-on at several million KM I’d expect that they would run a slow, methodical active and passive scan of everything within say 4-5 light seconds.
And if radar is sufficient to detect a 2m diameter missile target at 2 million km it is perfectly capable of spotting a 20 meter LAC at 500,000km, as that is a 100x larger target with a signal 256x stronger.

3b) Not a big deal, but at the other end, wouldn’t the LACs be harder to spot ballistically rather then at 300 some gravities? The crew might be distracted but the computers are not. And the BCs are assumed to be all ready to hyper out, and have a whole lot of energy firepower manned and ready, attempting to be too perfect seems a bit of an unnecessary risk of either losing the target or losing the LACs.

4) How can Jennifer be one of the first prolong recipients and be 130 years old?

3a) Wait! There's a wormhole assault?! Golly gee! The author went there even after all of our picking the possibility apart?!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:17 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
Star Knight wrote:Reming me, why didnt Kuzak roll pods again? :?

I don't think she had them. IIRC, around the time of 1st Manticore most of the new cutting-edge tech had been with Eighth Fleet, while Kuzak was in command of Third Fleet, which had been parked at San Martin and probably wasn't Priority No. 1 for Hemphill's new toys.

Take this with a sizable chunk of salt as I'm probably the least-techy person on here, though!

I don't think so, Rosie. I'm looking at the top of your head. Not because I'm taller than you. But because you're standing on the silver medal platform wonderin what coulda been.

::bites down on medal:: Yep, I got the gold, honey child. LOL

Post by clancy688   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:41 am

clancy688
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:3a) Wait! There's a wormhole assault?! Golly gee! The author went there even after all of our picking the possibility apart?!

Ummm... Let's say it was not intended as a wh assault. And the guys doing the assault part are not the ones transiting...

Return to Honorverse