Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 51 guests

Spoilers - UH possible errors and questions

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Spoilers - UH possible errors and questions
Post by Eagleeye   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:26 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

Another question that raised its ugly head :D

What happened to the 5th Mandarin? One of the women - Agatha Wodoslawski, if I have it right? She wasn't arrested at the end of the book, so I see some possibilities:

1) After Honor came calling and the futility of resistance got obvious, she decided to suicide.

2) She was suicided - the same way Rajampet was - by some of the Alignment agents which still were active.

3) She was an alignment agent herself; maybe even an alpha-line - don't forget, she was the last addition to the Mandarins. And she could've been able to built her own bolthole to hide in (and to get there in time), if the events went south for the League. After all, if she was part of the inner onion (say - at the same level as Jack McBride was), she had to knew (in general terms, at least) about the goals the Detweilers try to accomplish.

But if she's hiding, she has to stay in her bolthole for a looong time - after all, I doubt there will be even one public board in the SOL-System without her picture on a "Wanted - Dead or alive"-poster equivalent for some years to come.
Post by phillies   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:43 pm

phillies
Admiral

Plausible but slightly annoying. Toward the end, one of the cats is referred to by his or her initials rather than as Bark Chewer (or whatever). I didn't make the connection for quite some time.
Post by ywing14   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:48 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Star Knight wrote:
ywing14 wrote:
I'm not sure the cruiser's were equipped to handle the platforms. We know the BC could but if memory serves me correctly. Only one of the cruisers was a Saganami-C. The other two were Bs and could not even fire Mk16s. I find it unlikely they'd have the ability to utilize the Loreleis platforms.

One was a Nike Class BC. I bet it can utilize them.
And they did use them in the engagement, its right in the text.
Whether or not they could use them to their full potential isnt really my point.
I'm asking why they didnt use Loreleis (or any other standard decoy really)to present false targets to trigger the alpha strike.
Not like it hasnt been done before.

I basically rescind my whole statement. I was rereading my statement and they were used by the cruisers at Prime so I'm not sure. Probably the admiral hadn't though of that.
Post by kzt   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:46 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:Plausible but slightly annoying. Toward the end, one of the cats is referred to by his or her initials rather than as Bark Chewer (or whatever). I didn't make the connection for quite some time.

I figured it had to be a treecat, but I couldn’t place it.
Post by kzt   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:49 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

ywing14 wrote:
I basically rescind my whole statement. I was rereading my statement and they were used by the cruisers at Prime so I'm not sure. Probably the admiral hadn't though of that.

They were used during the battle at Hyperion (or whatever it is called). I did a text search of the document.
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:23 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Was there any new tech debuted by either navy?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by kzt   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:08 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Was there any new tech debuted by either navy?

Yes, by all sides. Some more successful than others. Spend the $15, you know you want to....
Post by feyhunde   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:36 am

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

kzt wrote:
cthia wrote:Was there any new tech debuted by either navy?

Yes, by all sides. Some more successful than others. Spend the $15, you know you want to....

And by all sides he means more than either.
Post by Peregrinator   » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:15 am

Peregrinator
Commander

This is a minor error but in one scene (p.62 of the RTF) Nimitz signs "Yes" by making the "S" handshape (a fist) and bending it up and down from the wrist (which is correct)

“I see Hamish and Emily have been good for the Beowulf side of you,” Allison said, and Nimitz laughed again, then raised his right hand—fingers closed to spell the letter “S”—and nodded it up and down in agreement.

while in another scene (p. 424 of the RTF) another treecat, Alfredo, signs "Yes" by making the "Y" handshape (thumb and little finger out) and bending it up and down (which is incorrect)

He stopped, finally, and Gold Peak looked at him levelly. Then she glanced at the treecat on the master sergeant’s shoulder and arched an eyebrow. The silent question evoked only a single sign—one of the ones Harahap had learned to recognize—in response: the nodding “Y” which meant “yes.” Gold Peak considered him for a moment longer, then shrugged and turned back to Harahap.
Post by Alamo   » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Alamo
Ensign

On 2 different occasions, Mike Henke is mentioned to be 3rd in the line of succession. She is still 5th.

Return to Honorverse