Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 111 guests

Spoilers - UH possible errors and questions

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Spoilers - UH possible errors and questions
Post by kzt   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:17 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Star Knight wrote:Remind me, why didnt Kuzak roll pods again? :?

Mom, he’s poking me! :D
Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:52 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
Star Knight wrote:Remind me, why didnt Kuzak roll pods again? :?

Mom, he’s poking me! :D

No, no, no, that's not what he's doing. :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:04 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'm glad to hear there's plenty of ships that go boom. Is Honor's fight scene(s) the best in the book?

And does the SLN win at least one?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by kzt   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:58 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:And does the SLN win at least one?

For some value of 'win'.
Post by ywing14   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:05 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Star Knight wrote:Question - why didnt they try to use Lorelei platforms as decoys to trigger the alpha launch at Hypatia?
The Sollies had a hard time finding TG 110.2, so launch missiles, activate Loreleis and sneak off on a different vector. By the time the Sollies realize what's happening it might be too late.

I'm not sure the cruiser's were equipped to handle the platforms. We know the BC could but if memory serves me correctly. Only one of the cruisers was a Saganami-C. The other two were Bs and could not even fire Mk16s. I find it unlikely they'd have the ability to utilize the Loreleis platforms.
Post by redemption   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:17 am

redemption
Ensign

!!One Spoiler Reference Alert!!

I actually found a lot less errors in a 800+ page eARC then I have found in some books out there that were published that way. I was happily surprised nothing took away from my immersion of David Weber's masterpiece. What he calls an eARC is finished copies of some b level authors on amazon trust me. All there is some labeling issues, some page spacing issues in the middle of chapters, he used Commodore Harrington once when it wasn't in reference to Alfred and few other inconsistencies and typos and a bunch of grammar errors. But honestly it was not that rough at all . I am very impressed. I dont read alot of eARC but this is the best shape I ever seen one in.
Post by redemption   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:26 am

redemption
Ensign

ywing14 wrote:
Star Knight wrote:Question - why didnt they try to use Lorelei platforms as decoys to trigger the alpha launch at Hypatia?
The Sollies had a hard time finding TG 110.2, so launch missiles, activate Loreleis and sneak off on a different vector. By the time the Sollies realize what's happening it might be too late.

I'm not sure the cruiser's were equipped to handle the platforms. We know the BC could but if memory serves me correctly. Only one of the cruisers was a Saganami-C. The other two were Bs and could not even fire Mk16s. I find it unlikely they'd have the ability to utilize the Loreleis platforms.

This is mentioned by myself in another thread, but yes its because it was a downgraded defense with the Mark 14 only capable Saganami Bs, Loreleis only acted alittle better then decoy drones without Keyhole 2. They were only a shadow what the full defensive embrella utilizing Lorelei with Keyhole 2 and Ghostrider along with LAC missle defense doctrine that was Defense Plan And Fire Plan Thermoplye in Rising Thunder and Baricade in SOV.
Post by Star Knight   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:50 am

Star Knight
Commodore

ywing14 wrote:

One was a Nike Class BC. I bet it can utilize them.
And they did use them in the engagement, its right in the text.
Whether or not they could use them to their full potential isnt really my point.
I'm asking why they didnt use Loreleis (or any other standard decoy really)to present false targets to trigger the alpha strike.
Not like it hasnt been done before.
Post by redemption   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:23 am

redemption
Ensign

Star Knight wrote:
ywing14 wrote:

One was a Nike Class BC. I bet it can utilize them.
And they did use them in the engagement, its right in the text.
Whether or not they could use them to their full potential isnt really my point.
I'm asking why they didnt use Loreleis (or any other standard decoy really)to present false targets to trigger the alpha strike.
Not like it hasnt been done before.

Depending if you want to use the shadow books as reference, leaving out baricade, Lorelei needs Keyhole 2 for the transmited power to emulate a Saganami C or BC perfectly. Normal decoy drones while effective at range weren't enough for the onboard penetration aids to distract enough for amount of missels they faced in that engagement to disract enough of the alpha strike to make the difference of their survival, Lorelei with a limited to no keyhole capacity was stated to be just like an upgrade decoy drone. When used in a fully deployed defense as in Rising Thunder Loreleis with keyhole 2 make blind fire almost useless. But since there is no more mention of baricade after SOV the entire transmited power issue could be a mute argument. I get what your saying but I dont think it would of mattered much, the only way they could fight that many birds was with keyhole 2 defense across the board not only one BC. Its a guessing game at that point. The author hasnt clarified it to where we can trully guess.
Post by Star Knight   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:49 am

Star Knight
Commodore

redemption wrote:Depending if you want to use the shadow books as reference, leaving out baricade, Lorelei needs Keyhole 2 for the transmited power to emulate a Saganami C or BC perfectly.
It has been a long time since i last read ART, but effective against whom? Manticoran/Havenite sensors or Sollies?
In the acutal engagement, the Sollies had trouble locating the Manties after they fired their first salvo.
I propose to enage at the maximum range of the RMNs single drive missiles, deploy the decoys and sneak away on a different vector. With a little luck, the Sollies waste their alpha launch at the decoys and never look for the actual Task Force.
Its acutally pretty much what the last surviving DD did in the end.
Doesnt have to be perfect, doesnt have to fool current tech, it just has to work long enough for the alpha strike being out of range for targetting updates.
With the missile carriers destroyed and the alpha launch wasted, the Sollies would probably have a very hard time destroying the Manticoran Task Force.

Return to Honorverse