Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

(SPOILERS) Uncomprisingly good

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
(SPOILERS) Uncomprisingly good
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:49 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

The book is really good. RFC really gets the celery ring.

Strong story right at the heart of the whole saga. Some characters are not there: Helen and Paolo, Ginger, Terekhovs.

But very strong. Ties up a real lot of pieces. Honor in vengeance mode.

Abigail gets a boyfriend.

Quite a few battles.

And a fitting conclusion to the arc.
Re: Uncomprisingly good
Post by cthia   » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:The book is really good. RFC really gets the celery ring.

Strong story right at the heart of the whole saga. Some characters are not there: Helen and Paolo, Ginger, Terekhovs.

But very strong. Ties up a real lot of pieces. Honor in vengeance mode.

Abigail gets a boyfriend.

Quite a few battles.

And a fitting conclusion to the arc.

Thanks. Lotsa battles!

You mean [uncomprisingly uncompromisingly] good? Probably should be a spoiler warning somewhere.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

How do you read so quickly? It'll take me 2-3 days to complete it. Allowing for stops and starts and fits and rages which can consume hours in between tears and other emotions that are less civilized, pretty or romantic.

Becoming the character is truly exhausting. I can't read with detachment.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:16 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:How do you read so quickly? It'll take me 2-3 days to complete it. Allowing for stops and starts and fits and rages which can consume hours in between tears and other emotions that are less civilized, pretty or romantic.

I read faster than I write and I really type fast (explaining the typo). Also small print is getting to me.

Most of what I wrote (save the Abigail part) has been sort of brought up in snippets.
Post by ksandgren   » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:20 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

I am grateful to have it. Interruptions and a late start have kept me from getting as far as ldwechsler. One non spoiler that I'd like to share regarding the number of chapters is that the index only lists chapters as months of action and that list is short.
Post by Star Knight   » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:27 pm

Star Knight
Commodore

Not that far in but surprisingly good so far.
Much better than the last few books and pretty much what i wanted SoV to be.
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:32 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

ldwechsler wrote:
cthia wrote:How do you read so quickly? It'll take me 2-3 days to complete it. Allowing for stops and starts and fits and rages which can consume hours in between tears and other emotions that are less civilized, pretty or romantic.

I read faster than I write and I really type fast (explaining the typo). Also small print is getting to me.

Most of what I wrote (save the Abigail part) has been sort of brought up in snippets.

I'm glad you liked it. :D

One reason it can move as quickly as it does is that I put the building blocks in place in the earlier books. I've talked about the one thing that I would've (and should have) changed in Shadow of Victory if my health had been better (and my head had been clear), but without the work I spent on characters there, a couple of significant plot strands in Uncompromising would have had no place to stand.

I will say, quite frankly — and I've said this at conventions — that the change that was forced at the conclusion of At All Costs created major problems with my original plan for the war against the Solarian League. I mean, major problems. In a way, I found myself in the position of the producers of a successful television series who know their series is going to run for five seasons, for which they have crafted a tightly plotted story arc that comes to a full and satisfying conclusion . . . only to discover at the very end of Season Five that they've been renewed for another three seasons. Everything was set to go into limbo for twenty years after Honor's death . . . until she didn't die. :roll:

As I've said before, overall I'm delighted that she didn't, but I had to find a way to fight a hard war against a navy which was totally out-classed because it was supposed to have twenty more years in which to get a clue about its probable opposition and didn't get them. At the end of the day, at the close of Uncompromising Honor, we are very much where I originally intended to be at the close of the war against the Solarian League, except that it was going to be either Alexander McKeon or Michelle Henke having the conversation with Elizabeth in the final chapter. And, of course, the "Harrington torch" would've been passed to Raoul and any of his siblings.

I've always been aware that there were aspects of how the story changed following Alastair's death and Lester Tourville's surrender that weren't everyone's cup of tea. I was wrangling treecats at the time, however, and they have very sharp and very pointy claws.

At the end of the day, I'm satisfied with Uncompromising Honor and where it leaves the primary characters and the interstellar political and diplomatic system of the Honorverse.

Which doesn't mean that I won't go back and poke up the fire again sometime in the near future. :lol:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:35 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:SNIP

Which doesn't mean that I won't go back and poke up the fire again sometime in the near future. :lol:

I will gleefully pour lighter fluid on any and all such fires. Especially the ones where the MAlign is vaporized into subatomic particles, Eloise gets as happy an ending as she can that doesn't include Javier, Tourville/Henke and Khumalo/Matsuko get married, and I wind up in bed with Allen Higgins. :lol: :lol: :lol:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:50 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:SNIP

I will gleefully pour lighter fluid on any and all such fires. Especially the ones where the MAlign is vaporized into subatomic particles, Eloise gets as happy an ending as she can that doesn't include Javier, Tourville/Henke and Khumalo/Matsuko get married, and I wind up in bed with Allen Higgins. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those things may still happen. The next book in the series 20 years from now might hook some up.

Many of them will.
Post by Henry Brown   » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:14 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

Yes it is very, very good. But I am not sure if it truly is the final book.

********Spoiler Warning for Uncompromising Honor*******

They never did find Darius and get the MALIGN. And based on the way that Victor, Anton, and Firebrand headed to Mesa to investigate, I think there is going to be at least one more book featuring them. However, I think it would a book featuring them and probably Mike Henke. So I guess this is the final Honor book in a sense.

Return to Honorverse