Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 60 guests

Uncompromising honor earc

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising honor earc
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:54 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

SPOILER WARNING!

kzt wrote:
phillies wrote:My impression is that the scene in question was going to be on-camera. Apparently I was mistaken.

Remember the spoiler rules. This is definitely straying into spoiler territory.
Last edited by Weird Harold on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by kzt   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:15 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

People shouldn’t be soliciting spoilers in a no spoilers thread. I’d delete my comment, but someone already quoted it...
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:57 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:People shouldn’t be soliciting spoilers in a no spoilers thread. I’d delete my comment, but someone already quoted it...

Your comment deleted from the quote. edit away...
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:38 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ATTENTION: SERIOUS ASIDE

One very serious drawback of smartphones is their failure to incorporate the human element. Yes, the human element is found everywhere guys. We're human. At least most of us are. :mrgreen:

Regardless of what all of the additional crap a smartphone can do, it is, or should be, considered a PHONE, FIRST! Many, if not most, smartphones require you to touch the screen several times before you can begin dialing a number. UNACCEPTABLE! When opening your smartphone, if it doesn't automatically bring up the phone app so your first touch of the screen is the first number you want, wish, NEED to dial, throw it in the ocean if you cannot set that requirement in settings. If an emergency occurs, a heart attack, a stalker, a rapist... whatever, and you need to make a very quick, desperate emergency call, your brain and adrenaline is on overdrive. You are not in the right frame of mind to take your time swiping left, right, up, down, back, etc., etc., etc., and selecting an app.

THE TELEPHONE SHOULD NOT... I REPEAT, SHOULD NOT, BE... AN APP!!!

Even the smartphones I've come across that does manage to open directly to the phone, can lose that setting if you've been playing with it. No matter what you were doing beforehand, upon accessing your phone each and every successive time, it should be ready to dial immediately!

Does anyone with a smartphone have that problem? Check to see if it can be circumvented in settings. It may save your life.

Then they have the nerve and audacity to butt dial. An adopted terminology that's very appropriate, since it can land your butt in hot water with your significant other. Just ask my brother. One of my friends came home to his fiancee who had almost thirty minutes of his conversation with his old gf playing on the stereo when he walked in. End of that engagement. It wasn't pretty. And they call them smart? You don't say. My flip phones never dialed anyone without my permission. Another problem with smartphones is the lack of real buttons to dial. Tactile feedback is important if you need to dial without looking at the screen. Like a desperate woman hiding from a rapist and light from the phone may give her location away.

Why are people, even companies, so unfamiliar with the human element?!

I immediately recognized this problem the very first time I handled one of the "smart" devices. I sent an email to all of my family and friends and I discuss it with many people now if opportunity presents itself. I can see their light bulb come on and I always get many thanks. All the women in my family always catch me opening their mobile every now and again if I get the opportunity. They know what I'm checking for.

TELEPHONE FIRST COMPANIES. TELEPHONE FIRST!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by munroburton   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:21 am

munroburton
Admiral

cthia wrote:ATTENTION: SERIOUS ASIDE

One very serious drawback of smartphones is their failure to incorporate the human element. Yes, the human element is found everywhere guys. We're human. At least most of us are. :mrgreen:

Regardless of what all of the additional crap a smartphone can do, it is, or should be, considered a PHONE, FIRST!

The profoundly deaf would disagree. ;)

I've deleted the phone app from my device for a reason.
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:45 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:
cthia wrote:ATTENTION: SERIOUS ASIDE

Regardless of what all of the additional crap a smartphone can do, it is, or should be, considered a PHONE, FIRST!

The profoundly deaf would disagree. ;)

I've deleted the phone app from my device for a reason.

In part perhaps, but certainly not in whole. Which is why you are responding like so. What I've laid down applies to that segment of the population as well. The fact that the companies have not forgotten that segment's specific needs is besides the point. Even they need immediate access to the phone in an emergency.

At any rate, thanks for reminding me of that, munroburron. And I congratulate companies for that effort. But let's not forget everyone and carry the human element across the board.

I'm aware that some disabled people don't like that word, so my apologies in advance. But I need a pardon just for this one thought. When an emergency arises like I've detailed upstream, and you're frightened, panicked, or in dire need of medical attention, we are all disabled.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by munroburton   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:11 am

munroburton
Admiral

cthia wrote:In part perhaps, but certainly not in whole. Which is why you are responding like so. What I've laid down applies to that segment of the population as well. The fact that the companies have not forgotten that segment's specific needs is besides the point. Even they need immediate access to the phone in an emergency.

At any rate, thanks for reminding me of that munroburron. And I congratulate companies for that effort. But let's not forget everyone and carry the human element across the board.

I'm aware that some disabled people don't like the word, so my apologies in advance. But I need a pardon just for this one thought. When an emergency arises like I've detailed upstream, and you're frightened, panicked, or in dire need of medical attention, we are all disabled.

Oh granted, the severely, moderately or mildly deaf still have an use for the audiophone. Just us people at the far end of that spectrum who considers it completely useless.

In an emergency, I could just SMS my emergency services. Still have videophone too.

Oh, that reminds me. In the UK, 999 is contactable by text as well as phone. Useful if you can't talk due to circumstances - just remember to put it on silent before you get a reply!

At any rate, I got rid of the phone app mainly because people I don't know kept calling me. Sales, surveys, PPI legal advice and the rest of these scammers. I cannot even explain to them why their phone call was pointless for them and very annoying to me(being that they comprised 100% of my calls). Now when they ring, I never notice. :D

I admit, could be an issue if someone wanted to use my phone to make an emergency call and didn't know about the emergency texting service. Oh well.
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:03 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:
cthia wrote:In part perhaps, but certainly not in whole. Which is why you are responding like so. What I've laid down applies to that segment of the population as well. The fact that the companies have not forgotten that segment's specific needs is besides the point. Even they need immediate access to the phone in an emergency.

At any rate, thanks for reminding me of that munroburron. And I congratulate companies for that effort. But let's not forget everyone and carry the human element across the board.

I'm aware that some disabled people don't like the word, so my apologies in advance. But I need a pardon just for this one thought. When an emergency arises like I've detailed upstream, and you're frightened, panicked, or in dire need of medical attention, we are all disabled.

Oh granted, the severely, moderately or mildly deaf still have an use for the audiophone. Just us people at the far end of that spectrum who considers it completely useless.

In an emergency, I could just SMS my emergency services. Still have videophone too.

Oh, that reminds me. In the UK, 999 is contactable by text as well as phone. Useful if you can't talk due to circumstances - just remember to put it on silent before you get a reply!

At any rate, I got rid of the phone app mainly because people I don't know kept calling me. Sales, surveys, PPI legal advice and the rest of these scammers. I cannot even explain to them why their phone call was pointless for them and very annoying to me(being that they comprised 100% of my calls). Now when they ring, I never notice. :D

I admit, could be an issue if someone wanted to use my phone to make an emergency call and didn't know about the emergency texting service. Oh well.

First, I am truly sorry about the realities that you are facing here. It pisses me off with the industry.

It seems that I didn't fully understand your post. I'm not sure why you didn't agree with me, because it seems that companies are forsaking the hearing impaired, or at least not fully supporting you. I said that the telephone shouldn't be an app. It is a phone. Apps are what comes extra. If you have to delete the "phone app" because it isn't practical for you, then phone companies have failed you. I consider it to be an unacceptable failure to incorporate the human element for your segment of the population. Especially when the specific need was acknowledged by landlines eons ago. A simple side button to disable the phone would be better, in case you may need someone to use your phone to seek emergency help.

Another failure of many smartphones, mobile phones actually, is the inability to disable the screen and or the bright light that could alert the criminal element of your location. I saw in a movie once where someone got killed because of the bright light given off in the dark room they were hiding in.

My Motorola T720 flip phone (the best phone ever made) had the ability in settings to disable the lighted screen when opening. Only the numbers were backlit, but subdued. One press of a side button brought the screen up. It was instrumental in saving sneers, jeers and thrown soda pop in movie theaters.

I have to explain to almost everyone I come in contact with why I prefer what they refer to as "stone age" technology compared to their iPhones or what have you. "You can afford a much better phone that'll do so much stuff."

That's why I don't want one. The only thing I want my phone to do, is act like a phone. Ring and be rung. Smartphones are so busy trying to incorporate and cater to so much stuff that it forgot its heritage. Heck, on many of the smartphones you have to pay extra for the simple telephone ring. Which I demand. Music or any of that other annoying crap will fail to get my attention. A regular telephone ring is distinctive. I'm sure you've noticed that that particular ring will get your attention even if its coming from the tv and sound like its in your own home.

Cellphone companies forgot that form follows function.

Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:32 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:

What's really needed is a voice to text mobile for the hearing impaired. The problem is that these apps need training. A recorded message could alert the caller to repeat several sentences then it is set. Subsequent calls wouldn't need to do that.

Post by munroburton   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:46 am

munroburton
Admiral

It's not really that big a deal. I understand the way mass manufactured products work - it is cheaper to buy a car, laptop or TV with integrated audio speakers and microphones and then disable or just not use those bits than it is to demand a near-identical device with these removed or never-incorporated.

A regular telephone ring is distinctive. I'm sure you've noticed that that particular ring will get your attention even if its coming from the tv and sound like its in your own home.

Nope, can't say I have ever noticed anything of the sort. I only notice noises which shake the ground. Rocket launches, building demolitions, that sort of thing.

Turn up that bass!

Oh, please don't start on voice to text or vice versa or other feeble technological solutions. What is needed is for people to learn sign language.

It's the one bit of Weber's story that I really identified with.

Return to Honorverse