Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 61 guests

Uncompromising honor earc

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising honor earc
Post by Keith_w   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:04 am

Keith_w
Commodore

cthia wrote:
<Snipped because it was getting too long.>

Cellphone companies forgot that form follows function.

cthia:

Personally, I use my phone more for email and texting than I do for telephoning. I am pretty sure that most (especially the young) do the same, so I am pretty comfortable with "phone" being an app. You are, quite obviously different, and that is fine as well, our differences are what make the world go around. My spouse carries a flip phone too, which she rarely turns on. That's how she wants to use it, and that, mostly, except when I want to phone her, is fine.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:00 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Keith_w wrote:
cthia wrote:
<Snipped because it was getting too long.>

cthia:

Personally, I use my phone more for email and texting than I do for telephoning. I am pretty sure that most (especially the young) do the same, so I am pretty comfortable with "phone" being an app. You are, quite obviously different, and that is fine as well, our differences are what make the world go around. My spouse carries a flip phone too, which she rarely turns on. That's how she wants to use it, and that, mostly, except when I want to phone her, is fine.

There's nothing wrong with that keith. Phones should be tailorable to suit the particular user. We are as different as we are alike.

I still think you should consider having the phone default to the phone when opening up. It could save your life. It won't kill you to have to push a few extra buttons to pull up the text app. It could kill you to have to jump through hoops on that one occasion you need a phone, and quickly.

After all, if time is of the essence, you wouldn't want to die because your phone defaulted to your email app. Safety should never be traded off for comfort. Especially in your wife's case. Please at least reconsider it.

Of course, the younger generation are textaholics, which is already killing them, walking in front of cars, driving while texting, falling in manholes, cheating at school.

But then, they don't know any better. It is up to the parents to give them good guidance.

Heck, I imagine a lot of accidents caused by texting while driving happen while trying to access the app, which may cause people to want to default to that mode, which they shouldn't be doing anyway.

Mobiles should have a parental mode to lock the texting ability of your teenager daughter if the GPS detects it moving faster than 25 mph.

But that's just me. Life is more important to me than any text or email. I understand that isn't the case for everyone. Which is why many people are dying on the highway, because a certain text message was worth dying for. Or killing for.

It isn't safe for deer or humans.

All of my friends and family know me. I won't call you or answer your call if I'm driving. I'll hang up on you if you're driving when I ring you. And I always ask.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:52 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Why do you think emergency help can be summoned with just three keystrokes (911). Then comes along some ill-informed pot smoking geek who decides to add several more keystrokes to that well thought out recipe. Completely canceling out the convenience and safety margin of simply 9-1-1.

On the bright side, it's a personal, conscious decision that you may never live to regret. ;)

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:18 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

You should ask yourself. 'If I'm having a heart attack and I manage to fumble my phone open, am I going to be happy greeted by my beloved email app?'

Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:46 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:It's not really that big a deal. I understand the way mass manufactured products work - it is cheaper to buy a car, laptop or TV with integrated audio speakers and microphones and then disable or just not use those bits than it is to demand a near-identical device with these removed or never-incorporated.

A regular telephone ring is distinctive. I'm sure you've noticed that that particular ring will get your attention even if its coming from the tv and sound like its in your own home.

Nope, can't say I have ever noticed anything of the sort. I only notice noises which shake the ground. Rocket launches, building demolitions, that sort of thing.

Turn up that bass!

Oh, please don't start on voice to text or vice versa or other feeble technological solutions. What is needed is for people to learn sign language.

It's the one bit of Weber's story that I really identified with.

Oh my.

Point taken.

Sign language and/or lip reading. My niece is beginning to annoy the heck out of everyone with that ability. It's like a super power. Her best friend is deaf and she signs and reads lips. So too does my niece. It was cool in the beginning, but now you're not safe around her with classified info. It really is a super power. We're all just jealous, and sometimes annoyed. She can't help it because she's always practicing to stay sharp and has developed a habit.

Post by Cartref   » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:06 am

Cartref
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Just got the eARC yesterdays and am reading currently. All very enjoyable so far :D
Post by Annachie   » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:48 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

At 70% or so, I'm starting to get sick of it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:18 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:At 70% or so, I'm starting to get sick of it.

Well that's a cliffhanger of a review; do clarify. Is that a good sick or a bad sick. Sick or sick.

Or a bad sick or a badd sick.

Post by robert132   » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:58 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:
I have to explain to almost everyone I come in contact with why I prefer what they refer to as "stone age" technology compared to their iPhones or what have you. "You can afford a much better phone that'll do so much stuff."

That's why I don't want one. The only thing I want my phone to do, is act like a phone. Ring and be rung. Smartphones are so busy trying to incorporate and cater to so much stuff that it forgot its heritage. Heck, on many of the smartphones you have to pay extra for the simple telephone ring. Which I demand. Music or any of that other annoying crap will fail to get my attention. A regular telephone ring is distinctive. I'm sure you've noticed that that particular ring will get your attention even if its coming from the tv and sound like its in your own home.

You aren't the only one who only wants or needs a "phone." I might not carry a cell at all except that "She who MUST be obeyed" decreed I start carrying one when I started having health problems. :lol:

I personally have no need or desire to carry around what amounts to a portable PC everywhere I go, so I use a simple pay as you go flip phone as does she. In my case it stays in my pocket, turned off unless I'm expecting an important call from home or work.

Added side benefit, no temptation to "text" while driving or yak on the phone either. I've helped pry people out of crashed or flipped cars who lost it while being stupid and have no desire do that myself, life is challenging enough without adding in stupidity and giving Darwin a shot at me.

And it's much easier on the wallet.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:36 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

robert132 wrote:
cthia wrote:
I have to explain to almost everyone I come in contact with why I prefer what they refer to as "stone age" technology compared to their iPhones or what have you. "You can afford a much better phone that'll do so much stuff."

That's why I don't want one. The only thing I want my phone to do, is act like a phone. Ring and be rung. Smartphones are so busy trying to incorporate and cater to so much stuff that it forgot its heritage. Heck, on many of the smartphones you have to pay extra for the simple telephone ring. Which I demand. Music or any of that other annoying crap will fail to get my attention. A regular telephone ring is distinctive. I'm sure you've noticed that that particular ring will get your attention even if its coming from the tv and sound like its in your own home.

You aren't the only one who only wants or needs a "phone." I might not carry a cell at all except that "She who MUST be obeyed" decreed I start carrying one when I started having health problems. :lol:

I personally have no need or desire to carry around what amounts to a portable PC everywhere I go, so I use a simple pay as you go flip phone as does she. In my case it stays in my pocket, turned off unless I'm expecting an important call from home or work.

Added side benefit, no temptation to "text" while driving or yak on the phone either. I've helped pry people out of crashed or flipped cars who lost it while being stupid and have no desire do that myself, life is challenging enough without adding in stupidity and giving Darwin a shot at me.

And it's much easier on the wallet.

Amen. And neither do most senior citizens. They just want or need a phone. I used to volunteer taking the elderly to bingo night in one particular city. Upon collecting one lady I sat in on the last few hands of bingo. One lady was wrestling with her device trying to get the phone to show itself. "Damn stupid piece of shit my son-in-law bought for me."

A stupid smartphone. You don't say.

"Mam, I may be able to get your device to always turn on with the phone ready."

"Will you?!"

I ended up configuring most every phone there. You ever been kissed by a bunch of happy senior citizens? One lady commented "I don't even know what all of this other crap is."

Another lady said "You can lose your phone with it still in your hand."

Mobile phone companies, get a clue.

Return to Honorverse